Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Finally, I ordered my DTT tranny Last Night!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Finally, I ordered my DTT tranny Last Night!!!

I don't tow so I guess the 91 or the 93? Will I have more turbo lag or something you were saying? Or will I just have less boost and more pull?
Old 06-06-2003, 02:35 PM

[quote author=Jamie Attridge link=board=7;threadid=15497;start=30#146540 date=1054926905]<br>I don't tow so I guess the 91 or the 93? Will I have more turbo lag or something you were saying? Or will I just have less boost and more pull?<br>[/quote]<br><br>A lil more turbo lag most likely. Its not a big deal just didn't want you thinking something was wrong.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:21 PM

if i remember right, dtt has 13 different converter combos. a while ago, i was recommended to get the 89RH which is basically an 87%. it's done by application obviously. though it'll be a while, i can't wait to get mine
Old 06-06-2003, 06:05 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

KatDiesel: Yes I've got the 89%. Stock inj, nice turbo. <br>I think that there can be more lag on extreme applications like drag racing or pulling with extremely tight converters, but since the tranny keeps the engine in a better rpm range than the stocker you have more power available at the wheels. <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 06-06-2003, 10:06 PM

no kidding alpine. i'm running 2700 to 2900rpms WOT (depending on which plate i use in what postion) with the stock converter. the veins feel like they're bending in the thing. this marine pump puts out some mad fuel on the top end for a stock pump with a #0 plate. the more power i add, the weaker the shifts become.<br><br>Yikes!<br>Tom
Old 06-07-2003, 12:45 AM

98rammer: So if you don't have a GSK you should be running out of fuel at this rpm. I had the same problem, but since mine is a 24V there is no GSK for me. I'd definitely go for a tighter converter to properly load the engine. If you look at the power graphs from a dyno run with a similarly equipped truck you will see that there is not too much power produced at very high rpm. But if you go for a tighter converter you will need a VB because the torque put into the tranny at low input shaft rpm is much higher than the stock VB expects.<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 06-07-2003, 06:51 AM

Alright if its gonna be laggy is that only off the line or is it all the time when you roll into it and stuff? I would think you would get better turbo response because you are loading the engine up more all the time. Thats just how I think. If I'm wrong please explain. I would also think I will be picking up turbo pressure to because of the increase in load on the engine?
Old 06-07-2003, 10:02 AM

alpline- yes, my truck does have the gsk, however, it's different than the normal gsk. it's a marine pump so it's meant to run the high rpms anyways (heavier springs than a stock pump, but heavier governor weights too). i was thinking about getting a lower stall converter for about $400-$500 to get some better performance until i can get the DTT. but then my injection pump broke, so that's gone.<br><br>jamie, it should be laggy for a quick second or so until you hit maybe 1400rpms, then it'll pull much harder than most converters. how is your suncoast converter anyways? i know that they can make those things really tight too.<br><br>Tom
Old 06-07-2003, 08:30 PM

MHO the suncoast sucks. This is my 3rd tranny now and the DTT will be 4 I sure hope the DTT is the last one! :
Old 06-08-2003, 12:42 AM

I have a 91% TC and an PDR HX40. Bill suggested that I get a 89 for quicker spool up. I should have listened. I am very happy with my tranny and turbo, but there is definately alot more lag and smoke in all gears when I am at a low boost, heavy fuel situation. I still don't think my buggy will light em up on the 1-2 shift either. Haven't tried much yet, still have not paid off VISA for the turbo or the DTT tranny so I just can't beat on them too hard. ;D I have a very heavy hunk of 3/8 steel on the bed of my truck for my 5th wheel plate and 3.54 gears and 285 tires that also play into the factor of me being able to light em up.......
Old 06-08-2003, 04:27 AM

I do have the 89% DTT and must say that this thing maybe does not give you a faster rise of boost in psi/sec. from a dead standstill, but it gives me much better acceleration than the stock TC. It's true that the truck really comes alive @ 1600 rpm when going from a dead stop, or @1300 when tooling around with light loads. <br><br>98rammer: I can't comment on the quality of other tranny or TC companies, but to me it seems logical that when you put more torque @ lower RPM(That's what aftermarket TCs are about) into a tranny then you should look into preparing the tranny to stand this.<br>Do you have a torque or power curve for your engine with the setup you use now? <br><br>KatDiesel: Well, I agree with your comment on the bigger turbo and the tighter TC- I don't think that the injectors play a massive role there since even stock inj. can deliver enough fuel in this situation- only the amount of smoke will increase with the bigger inj. <br>But for me as a daila driver the engine seems much happier and much more responsive since I do have a load and therefore buust while driving around @ much lower rpm than before. Hence I seem to feel less lag ;D <br>Anyways- I am happy with what I have (tranny wise) and if anybody has some performance parts he wishes to read my comments on, just send them here ;D <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 06-08-2003, 10:28 AM

[quote author=AlpineRAM link=board=7;threadid=15497;start=30#147014 date=1055064424]<br>KatDiesel: Well, I agree with your comment on the bigger turbo and the tighter TC- I don't think that the injectors play a massive role there since even stock inj. can deliver enough fuel in this situation- only the amount of smoke will increase with the bigger inj. [/quote]<br><br>Just remember this if and when you goto DDIII's or something larger, we'll see if you feel the same
Old 06-08-2003, 12:02 PM

Kat: I know that you can only consume the benefit of the larger amount of fuel when you got the air to burn it. I think you feel the boost more with them because when there is air there is real power- before its only smoke. <br>But maybe I am completely wrong here ??? <br>Right now I must state that a lot of what I said here is an assumption- except the stuff that is noted as experience on my truck. I like to participate in the discussions to learn and to set me straight on my futute bombing path.<br>Maybe it's also a function of injector geometry- so that with less amount to be injected you just don't get proper atomization and a bad burn of the fuel- as far as I read the EDMs by DonM seem to be very nice under low boost and with comparably low flow they seem to have excellent atomization. (Never seen them myself :'( ) <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 06-08-2003, 12:12 PM

[quote author=AlpineRAM link=board=7;threadid=15497;start=30#147014 date=1055064424]<br>98rammer: I can't comment on the quality of other tranny or TC companies, but to me it seems logical that when you put more torque @ lower RPM(That's what aftermarket TCs are about) into a tranny then you should look into preparing the tranny to stand this.<br>Do you have a torque or power curve for your engine with the setup you use now? <br>[/quote]<br><br>no, unfortunately i'm still running the stock converter. i've upped the line pressures in the transmission and i have installed a converter unlock stock switch. if you drive it right, it can hold the power (though it screams at me at wide open throttle!). i'm ALWAYS flipping the tcc switch and ALWAYS thinking about RPMS (power curve and tranny line/pump pressure) versus Throttle Position (tranny line pressures again) versus RPMS (fuel economy) versus Being Locked/Unlocked due to transmission temperature.<br><br>kinda of an art i guess ;D <br>i have the power, but streetability just sucks under ~2200rpms. DTT will be a big priority once i get out of college.<br><br>Tom
Old 06-08-2003, 12:20 PM

98: I think that you are on the right way. I do not intend a tranny war, but if you choose to change 1 component you will influence lots of other components. I would call Bill K and ask him what can be done to band aid your tranny for the moment, or maybw a step plan to upgrade without throwing $$$ away. I received 8) hints and superb customer service from them, even when I was not yet a customer at DTT, and had told them that I wanted some hints to postpone the necessity to buy stuff from them, or even avoid the necessity to do so. <br>Well, more than 100 000 km later I am still happy with my tranny- except for the fact that my tranny tells me that life is sooo boring behind such a loooow power engine. ;D<br>Will look into helping the tranny not to be bored anymore as soon as possible <br><br>AlpineRAM

Quick Reply: Finally, I ordered my DTT tranny Last Night!!!