Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fifth Wheel Rail Kit Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fifth Wheel Rail Kit Recommendations

I have a 1997 Ram 2500 4x4. I need recommendations on what brand and model of Fifth wheel rails to install?

Most of the kits I see online are universal, having 4 L brackets which require drilling and bolting to the frame, followed by drilling a few holes in the bed floor, adding spacers, and then attaching the rails.

Is there any way to install rails on a 97 without drilling into the frame? I know it probably will not affect the strength of the frame if drilled near the center, but I prefer not to drill into the frame unless absolutely necessary.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer the bw turnover ball with there companion hitch it keeps the bed flat but if you want rails most of them are the same but you have to drill the frame
Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 PM

I bought a rail kit specifically for my Ford with no drilling into the frame. If I recall correctly I remember seeing them for Dodge as well.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:07 PM

Go the link below and click on the Installation Details near the bottom right, when the pdf file opens scroll down about 3/4 of the way in the document on how to install the rails on your truck without drilling the frame (uses existing holes).

http://www.etrailer.com/p-RP30035.html

Last edited by fundytrail; 03-25-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: added note
Old 03-29-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by rebal
I prefer the bw turnover ball with there companion hitch it keeps the bed flat but if you want rails most of them are the same but you have to drill the frame
That setup would be awesome, but it looks like the B & W turnover is $380 alone. Then I would need to buy the companion hitch which looks like it runs over $700. I could not justify that kind of cost.

I have read a few threads where people argue a fifth wheel over a goosneck ball. The only advantage I see to the fifth wheel setup is hooking up and disconnecting is easier. Both a fifth wheel, and a gooseneck are nothing more than a universal joint, allowing rotation about three axes.

One advantage I see to a goosneck is it places the attachment point closer to the ground, and more near to the vehicles center of gravity. This way as you accelerate and brake there is less of a "lever" acting on your truck from a high attachment point.

All that being said, I am a towing novice, so I would appreciate your comments on this. I am curious what folks feel the pros and cons of each are.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cons to the Gooseneck system adapted to a fifth wheel trailer are extra stresses on the trailer's frame. A lot of manufacturers cancel warrenty for that. Second reason it's easier to hook up a fifth wheel by yourself, because you can see the pin go into the hitch. I bought a RBW Lil Rocker 15K hitch for 3.25 with the rails like you wrote about before. If I had to do it over again I would buy a hitch that doesn't leave anything in the bed. It's harder to carry stuff in the bed with the rails in there.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must disagree. I remove my 5th wheel, and the rails are only an inch or so high, but they are flat so loading isn't a problem. I load sheets of wood and drywall without any problem.