Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Few questions about dually,lifts and tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Few questions about dually,lifts and tires

Hi. I'm Erska from Finland, I am new here.
I just bought Dodge Ram 3500 auto 4x4 ctd sport 1998 with 4.10 ratio, only 90000miles on clock.

I also ordered Buckstop outback bumper and Tuffcountry 4.5" lift kit.

My question is, how big tires I can put with that much lift?

I also want to remove those dually spacers/adapters on the fornt axle, so I can put 2500 series ram front wheels on it. Or is it possible?

I just love this look:

No negative offset on the front rims,nice!

So, how is it going to be?

Thanks.
-Erska
Old 06-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well all off your questions will depend on who you speak too. To do big tires your have to run dually spacers some say they work great and some say your wheel is going to fly off. But there is a reason bigger vendors will not run them only low liability shops. Your best option is too run a 19.5 or a 22.5 with a 285/70 tire there are lots of outfits that sell these setups. As far as running a normal rim up front I have heard it will not run correctly in 4 wheel drive, but that is not from personal exsperiance so I am not sure about that.

JD
Old 06-14-2006, 03:15 PM

Ok, thanks but no thanks. I dont want any trucker look.

I want offroader/monster look. I want to put some 16" rims, or 17" rims and 35-37" tires, but will they fit with only 4.5" lift?

I dont get it, how it would affect to 4 wheel drive if you remove front adapters and replace the rim with different offset. The tire is still on the same place as it were on dually rim with adapters. Or is it?

I'll regret my bad lanquage but I hope you guys understand what I mean.

-Erska
Old 06-14-2006, 03:43 PM

Problem is that you may end up with different diameters on your tires which could cause problems with axle ratios when in 4x4.

I have that same picture on my destop from when I first bought my dually. I use my truck too much to lift it that much but if I ever won the powerball...
Old 06-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Banned

Like I said I am not sure on what will happen with that larger rim and tire on front that is just what I have been told, I maybe wrong, I was also planning on doing that also. Yes those tires should fit with that lift but I don't believe it is possibly without spacers and those thing are not safe. How about a super single on back and a larger tire in front, the biggest problem there is finding rims to match unless you go ahead and float the whole truck. Keep in mind this is just what I have been told and I may be wrong.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boykid88
Problem is that you may end up with different diameters on your tires which could cause problems with axle ratios when in 4x4.

I have that same picture on my destop from when I first bought my dually. I use my truck too much to lift it that much but if I ever won the powerball...
Thank You I coulden't remember what it was that got messed up.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:55 PM

Yes yes yes. But, what could change the tire diameter if you ONLY change you offset and took those adapters way?

I know that if you have different size tires front or back your 4x4 with same ratios will be resisting your drive and eventually broke your diffrential or your transfer case.

Does someone have a decent pictures duallys with 35-37" tires?
Old 06-14-2006, 03:58 PM

I'm not so much after height myself but more tire width, specifically in the front. If you remove that spacer you can now run up to a 10" wide rim. I think an 8" would be perfect with 315 BFG's all around but...315's on a 6" wide rim are noticeably taller than the same tire on an 8" rim. BFG actually has spec sheets that indicate tire height change per 1/2" change in rim width.

I ran an 8mm spacer in the rear so I could run lower air pressure in my duals (40psi) and retain tire spacing but ended up pulling them out and running 60PSI.
If you're gonna run huge tires you need to get a 2" spacer with the alignment ridge to properly center the outer rim. These trucks do not have tapered centering lugs so they rely on the hub to center. The stock axle has a centering shoulder just wide enough to accommodate steel wheels
Old 06-14-2006, 09:48 PM
KVD

There's a stroke in huntsville that has 39 inch thornbirds on the factory rims.Loks gpd but he is runnin some wide spacers in the rear casue he has 2 inchs of tire out passed the dullay fenders.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:25 AM

Ok. So, it is possible to fit even 39" on stock rims.

But seriously, nobody still hasnt said wich is the max tire size on dually with 4.5" lift.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Erska
But seriously, nobody still hasnt said wich is the max tire size on dually with 4.5" lift.
Probally because no one with experience with lifted duallys has read this...There are a few guys on here running the Skyjacker 4.5" lift, they run 35"s. You may be able to run 37"s depending on the exact tire, rim width, backspacing, etc... Tire fitment is not an exact science, and what one person says fits, another may say dosen't.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Banned

with the proper backspacing up front you can run a 37" with a 4.5" lift, most guys run 35's to keep them from rubbing when turning the wheel.

in the rear once you figure out if you are using a spacer or different rims etc a 37" tire will fit unless you plan on serious off roading and flexing the truck alot.

for what its worth-there is a guy on one of these forums a while back who got 39.5's to fit with just a 2" leveling kit up front, but he trimmed the fenders etc. and had to do body work to make them work
Old 06-15-2006, 09:07 AM
Banned

It all depends on how wide you want your tires.......the wider you go the more lift you need to get the extra clearance.

People lifting dualies can run some pretty large tires with minimal lift because usually the tires are rather skinny........so with that being said, if you were to run the dually rims you could possibly clear 38"s with the 4.5" lift.

But if you are wanting to swap out the front wheel to a normal 3/4 ton wheel, I'd say you'd be pushing it with 36" tires cuz those might rub some!!

~Nick
Old 06-15-2006, 09:22 AM
KVD

Got lifts is right.Its more about the width of the tire and rim they make em rub more than the height.I would say with the factory rims or an 8 inch rim on the front you could run a 37 with a little rubbin, probably 35s on a 10 inch wheel.With that said through I know a guy that runs 315s on a 8 inch rim with no lift on 98 CTD 2500 and my buddy runs 33x14.50 Super Swamper SSRs on a 16.5X12 wheel with nothin more than levelin spacers.The one with 315s rubs alittle (no lift) and my buddies with the SSRs rubs bad, before full lock (2 inch lift).

What kind of tire are you lookin at?

ORU (off-road unlimited) has a dmax with 36x12.5 pro comp all terrains. It looks like he ditched the spacers in the front and ran a 8 inch rim and some kind of 8 inchs rims on the rear so they all match, looks very good.I can't remember the number off the top of my head but look in any 4x4 rag and you'll find the ad and number in the back.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:55 AM

Thanks for those hints.

36" sounds fine also.

I am not very good with inches when we are talking about tire widths.

1998 3500 has 235/85 R16 tires, maybe 285-305 would be nice and the height would be something like 35-37".

And I'm not going to plan to do serious offroad. I will be driving some muddy paths and such but not very fast.(I dont want to broke anything)

I consider that BFGoodrich Allterrains would be the best choice for me.

Hey, by the way. Does 1500/2500 Ram aftermarket fender flares fit to dually front and back?

Quick Reply: Few questions about dually,lifts and tires