Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fass wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 05:51 PM
ddt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fass wiring problem

Hey guys newbie here so bear with me. I just wanted to say that i have found this site to be very knowledgeable and informative. That being said, my stock lift pump went out on me and from the information on here i decided to go with the fass system. Installation went quite well up until i went to connect the orange and green wires from the fass to the red and black terminals on the power distribution center. I know in the installation manual it states to connect these directly to the positive and negative battery terminals but i had a look at dpp's site and saw the ramcharger installation article. It looks like the connection was made at the distribution center for a cleaner install. Anyways, instead of following the instructions, which i usually do, i made the connection here and fried the black wire at the stock lift pump connector right into the wiring harness. Stupid me. How do i replace the the stock lift pump connector and wiring? Do both wires go to the ecm and can i use the cummins p/n 4025182 connector? Thanks for your replies.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't need to hook to the black wire. Just mount your relay on the firewall, hook up your power from the relay to the distribution box. The ground from the relay grounds to the firewall & the red wire from the stock lp harness goes to the relay, this is your trigger on/off. The last wire from the relay [accessory] goes to the fass red wire & ground from fass goes to your battery ground...not the chassis.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:26 PM
ddt

So can i still plug the fass female connector into the factory 2 pin lp male connector even though the black wire has all the insulation burnt off and is bare? What caused the wire to burn?
Old 10-15-2007, 02:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you connected it to both the posts on the underhood fusebox, it fried because you hooked both the Fass wires to positive and positive. Both posts are pos.
The neg wire from the Fass should be connectred to the neg battery cable.

Hopefully you didn't fry the ECM when this happened.
Fix your wiring, and inspect that lift pump harness, you may have to cut off the burned portion of wire/connector and splice in a new section using that short harness available from Cummins.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:09 AM
ddt

Thanks for you reply MikeR. I obviously didn't realize both connections were positive, it's amazing the stupid things you do when your in a hurry and running out of daylight. Of the 2 wires that go to the factory lp connector, is one hot that connects to the ecm and the other ground and connects to the engine block. I think the ground is the one that is burnt and needs replacing. Hopefully my ecm is not gone, how can i tell?