Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fass Transfer Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok guys I just talked to Ronda at DPP. The pumps themselves ARE THE SAME between the two FASS products. The springs are the same too. Rated pressure output with the CTD not running (not consuming fuel) is 13 psi. So that would tend to make sense for me to see just a hair over 12psi at idle.
As far as the "new" spring goes, that is for the big rig versions of the FASS. They have had three over the past year break, so the new spring was developed for that application only. Our FASS pumps (filtered or not) have no new springs in the works, nor has DPP received any for repair.
Hope this clears some things up.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:07 AM

How long have any of you been running these pumps,Milage and time wise ?
Old 02-03-2005, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by airman
How long have any of you been running these pumps,Milage and time wise ?
I have six weeks, and about 2,800 miles, so mine's still new
Old 02-03-2005, 10:40 AM

my ? is if its the same pump and spring why the cange in fuel pressures the fass 1 puts out 15psi at idle and now the fass 2 puts out 12 at idle something doesnt sound right to me.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:14 PM

The FASS (1) I had on my '99 put out 14 psi at idle, 13.5 while driving, and 12.5 at WOT. Without search capabilities, I can't find the thread but I remember comments about the DPP dropping the psi on the FASS due to possible hard starts over 15psi. I'm looking into getting the FASS2 for my (new) 2000 so the truck's fuel heater will still work (it can get a little cold up here).
Franklin
Old 02-03-2005, 01:18 PM

i got 16psi at idle and that with a stock lift pump and scottys smart fuel system. i dont have hard starting issues.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:36 PM

I downloaded the installation instructions for the FASS II from Diesel Performance Products (http://www.dieselpp.com/) and noticed they have two versions -- one with 95 gph, and the other with 150 gph. My FASS (I) had the 150 gph pump setup. I wonder if the lower pressures are coming from the 95 gph model. Check your part number to determine which model you have. For the 1998.5 - 2002 models, the part numbers are FASS-HPFP-95-1002 & FASS-HPFP-150-1002 (the first set of numbers represent the gph).
Franklin
Old 02-04-2005, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 95 gpm model. 14.5 at Idle....over 13 at WOT! Confusing

The starting problems start around 18 PSI...some of the earlier FASS had heavier springs and put out around 18. All products evolve and improve. FASS II at 12 psi is still overkill if it will hold that pressure...don't understand the 8 psi at WOT...I can hardly suck down any pressure...as I mentioned before.

RJ
Old 02-04-2005, 04:07 PM

I also have the 95gph FASS II -

FWIW my prior system was a 7psi Carter pusher pump at the tank along with the 15psi stock pump. It would idle at 20+ and pull down to the 15-16 psi range @ WOT. Bumping the starter with out starting I could see 25psi. I never did have a hard start.

George
Old 02-07-2005, 11:01 AM

I bought a fass II and installed it last weekend (1/30/05) only made 9psi at idle and could pull it down to 7 psi wot ++stock++
Called the dealer and he said to pull the intake line off and stick it in a fuel can to see if pressure came up. If it did then my pickup tube was bad ,well it did not come up at all so I put it back together started it up went to pull out of the shop and lost all pressure.
The pump locked up and blew the fuse, so called again this time he said I must have got some trash in pump and I would have to take it apart to get it out.
Well I ran all fuel through the filter that was supplied so this was , didnt sound like I was going to get any help so I pulled the pump apart and found nothing in the pump but did find some trash in motor, I cleaned everything up and put it all back together and it runs 9 psi no more. Called dealer again he said I may have a bad spring causing low pressure guess what I have no spring at all (mia) the ball was there but it was jammed down in its seat .
Dealer said he would get me a new spring kit and this would fix the problem but I still havent seen hide or hair of it.
When I first got this pump it did not have a wiring harness with it so I had to wait for that to come in. Then I had the wrong instructions for the pump, dealer said mine where for the old system??? , now my spring is mia whats next?

Trucks still down and I stuck driving my wifes f**d to work which is the worse part . Dont know if I would buy from them again customer service doesnt seem to be thier strong point.

These are my thoughts, I know alot of folks are having great luck with thiers so I may have that monday morning pump, dont know.

kw
Old 02-07-2005, 09:12 PM

I've been doing a lot of research into the FASS, FASS II, and Fuel Preporator. I found that key thing the FASS II is missing is the ability to remove the "entrained air" that the original FASS and the Fuel Preporator are known for. Don't get me wrong, the FASS II sounds like the LAST "lift pump" you will ever need to buy.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:30 PM

UPDATE on the spring deal for FASS II. I got a call from Ronda at DPP this morning, and she wanted to confirm my address so she could ship me a "new improved" spring kit.
Apparently Brad did get a hold of a new stronger spring for the FASS II. She said this was mainly a preventative measure, and was not designed to increase pressure.
I'll update again once it arrives, and I get it in.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:53 PM

I have been talking to Rjohnson via e-mail about this. I had a truck in this week that i sold a 95 GPM HPFP (FASS II) to that he installed him self. Apparently his injection pump was the real prob....so i installed a VP-44 (One of 2 this week I might add!) and a set of gauges (DI Pricol Fuel pressure w/ isolator, and Pyrometer) on his truck. It ran great but i did note that fuel pressure was 12 PSI at idle and 8 PSI under WOT. I also noted it did take a fair amt of time to get to the 8....which would conclude that volume is up. This was also a stock truck with no muffler and a filter with some miles. Cust had a SCMT that was off loaded at the time of repair. I’ll follow up and see what the pressures are with the Micro Tuner installed. BUT i would think that the 150 GPM pressures would be better....still haven’t had the chance to get one it as of yet....all 95 GMP's! As the spring thing goes...I talked to Brad about that (While he was on the road going to a show on his car phone! Busy guy!)...he told me that anyone can up the pressure by changing the spring. You just need to pull it out and find one that has less tension on it. The softer the spring, the more pressure....but he said that the wnty would be iffy if the pump went out due to over working the pump…..mine seems just fine at 16 PSI. (BUT he is kind of an alarmist of sorts.....covers his rear like a stright man at a gay bar, which is very understandable) I would think that a gauge would be needed to set the pressure....someone might want to experiment with different springs and find one that works...and get a part number. I got an original 150 GPM FASS.....and im sitting at about 16 PSI....so im good. I think what is lacking in pressure is made up for in volume. Would probably be good to increase the size of the line to 3/8” between the pump and the filter housing. I don’t see why this couldn’t be added to the kit. My 2…… !
Old 02-09-2005, 06:46 PM

Installed a fassII a week ago, truck runs good, but I'm only seeing 9 at idle and 7 wot. My dealer also told me of an "upgraded" spring. So I'm hoping. Fuel filter is only a month old. I guess it's not doing any damage and hopefully will last like the manufacturer claims. My old pump went to 0 psi. Also, why is pressure lower in the morning when it's colder? mid 30's
Old 02-09-2005, 07:48 PM

I was thinking about gettig the original FASS and running 1/2'' hose from it to the vp and completly take out the OEM filter and canister has any one done this

Quick Reply: Fass Transfer Pump