Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

FASS springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASS springs

I was hoping that someone could guide me to a place where I could purchase the spring for my fass that reduces the pressure.

The problem: Hard starts when warm.
Temporary Solution: Starts right up after pulling fuse.

I have the hobbs valve for a solution to the problem on my counter but I think that I"d like to try the lower pressure first.

Right now I am running about 18lbs on my 15lb gauge.

I called "my guy" who in turn called "his guy" and who knows how long that will take, I need this done yesterday!! I looked a little on this site but didn't find anything. Thanks
Old 06-14-2006, 02:47 PM

Call sourceautomotive 503-654-9004
Old 06-14-2006, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard to know where to send you when we don't know where you are??
Old 06-14-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Zedx148
I was hoping that someone could guide me to a place where I could purchase the spring for my fass that reduces the pressure.

The problem: Hard starts when warm.
Temporary Solution: Starts right up after pulling fuse.

I have the hobbs valve for a solution to the problem on my counter but I think that I"d like to try the lower pressure first.

I called "my guy" who in turn called "his guy" and who knows how long that will take, I need this done yesterday!! I looked a little on this site but didn't find anything. Thanks
You can talk to Rip ( I just spoke with him last night) or tell us where you are located and i can get someone in your area......Who ever you talk to, tell them they need to order the new "13-14 PSI PS-1002 spring".....ALSO look on our web site......we have a dealer locater.....
Old 06-14-2006, 05:02 PM

Thanks everyone. I’m in Oregon, so that 503 # (which happens to be my area code) looks pretty good.

Dan, I don’t know who Rip is but thanks for the official part number and the heads up on the new part.

Where does this new spring go? Is it difficult to put in? Is this a better fix than the Hobbs valve? I’ve also heard about a machined fitting that reduces the pressure, what are the benefits of this option?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:16 PM

Thanks everyone. I’m in Oregon, so that 503 # (which happens to be my area code) looks pretty good.

Dan, I don’t know who Rip is but thanks for the official part number and the heads up on the new part.

Where does this new spring go? Is it difficult to put in? Is this a better fix than the Hobbs valve? I’ve also heard about a machined fitting that reduces the pressure, what are the benefits of this option?

Spring is not hard to install at all....goes under the fitting marked "Adjsutable PSI Regualtor" Takes all of 5 mins to replace. The machine fitting is ok....but it drops pressure down too much if you are at 18 PSI.

Rip Rook is at Source Automotive......

UM....do you have the HPFP or the FASS? 18 PSI seems more like an HPFP........
Old 06-15-2006, 11:38 AM

Dan- Thanks again for the info and the pic, very helpful.

I do have the FASS (with the filter and separator).

I’m not sure how accurate the pressure reading is, the gauge goes up to 15psi and the needle goes beyond, I estimate about 18psi. I also used the isolator in my setup, maybe that adds to the “low?” reading. What should it read?

Apparently the shop that I got my fass from is sending me that new 13lb spring for just the price of shipping. It’s good to know that they stand behind their product. So far I’m impressed.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:03 PM

AHHHH.....you are guess at your pressure.....honestly it should be about 20 or so......hence the new spring.....
Old 06-15-2006, 06:11 PM

Dan,

I'm trying to source a 45psi FASS spring. What part number should I order from John at FloorIt?

thanks!
brandon.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by joefarmer
Dan,

I'm trying to source a 45psi FASS spring. What part number should I order from John at FloorIt?

thanks!
brandon.

WELL, be carefull with this. YOu have a bypass in the T-block that will pop off before you will ever get to 45 PSI and this will cut all of your return flow back to the tank. AND it will air lock your engine due to air building up in the fuel filter. The bypass is built to keep the motor from going over the Max amperage that its rated for.

What type of FASS you have? We will start from there.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:01 PM

Hmmm. I guess I'd have to divulge information I'm not comfortable posting on the forums. I'll just get John to call in since he's involved in the project. Alternatively you could email at the address associated with my username to discuss. Thanks!

brandon.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:30 PM

OK...here are the limits of the Systems...all pressures are apx.:

HPFP:

200 GPH HPFP ------ 75 PSI
(EM-1002 motor with 95 GPH Pump.....cant find base flow data) --- 130+ PSI
150 GPH HPFP ------ 28ish PSI
95 GPH HPFP ------ 45 PSI

FASS Pressures respectively:

70ish PSI
130+ PSI
23 PSI
43 PSI

Base spring Pressure has to be lower than the T-block relief to allow return flow back to the tank for the FASS.

Running these pumps at 100% duty cycle over these pressure can/will result in more than average brush ware. Possible failure. Wnty will not cover a unit that has been run over these pressures.

Our new units are sealed here to prevent tempering with Preset T-block pressure in the FASS or HPFP pressure. Broken seal will void wnty.

Joe....might want to consider a 200 GPH pump to get your pressure up....just tring to save you some trouble.....
Old 06-15-2006, 07:40 PM

Good info to have, thanks!

brandon.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:26 PM

Dan.. looking at some of his issues.. (hard to start..) how have the results been after the TSB flash.. or a Smarty installed... even for a test run??? (smarty will leave the latest version installed in the ECM... )
Bryan
Old 06-16-2006, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by JDGnut
Dan.. looking at some of his issues.. (hard to start..) how have the results been after the TSB flash.. or a Smarty installed... even for a test run??? (smarty will leave the latest version installed in the ECM... )
Bryan

WAY BACK WHEN mad ECM's were starting to come out, we were getting reports they stopped the hard start issue that some trucks have with the higher pressure (OR faster pressure rather) of the FASS/HPFP. NOW that the Smarty is out, we hear the same thing. BUT all you have to do is flash it. Even if you go back to stock, it will update the ECM. I have not had any first hand experience with this...but i have had several reports saying that this is a viable fix.

Quick Reply: FASS springs