Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

FASS solves the Lift Pump/VT44 Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASS solves the Lift Pump/VT44 Problems?

So I am still researching what truck to buy and it seems that the 24V might be the way to go as they are more plentiful in Southern California and are in better shape.

So I have discovered this whole FASS kit and I have a simple question. Does it basically solve a lot of the problems encountered with the Lift Pump / VT44? It seems the Lift Pump is prone to failure which results in fuel starvation to the VT44 which causes it to overheat and eventually die. The FASS system seems to be a durable method to supply constant fuel pressure and solve the issues. Is this a correct summation? If so then buying a 98.5+ and immediately installing the FASS and a proper fuel pressure kit should be a good step towards reliability.... Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mark
Old 06-19-2005, 10:32 PM

Yes a FASS system would be a great idea it should override the LP. 24 Valves are great motors with there week link just like anything else. It is the LP if you keep plenty of fuel to the IP you should be fine.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:20 PM

Re: FASS solves the Lift Pump/VT44 Problems?

Originally posted by radelow
If so then buying a 98.5+ and immediately installing the FASS and a proper fuel pressure kit should be a good step towards reliability.... Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mark
Yes and No. Yes providing the used truck you buy has a good Vp44. No, If you buy a used truck with a dead Lp and or Vp44. I would recommend tking the truck to a good Diesel dealer and or cummins shop and having a flow test done on the fuel system and scanning the ECM for codes.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Banned

VP44 longevity is a roll of the dice. Check out HOHN's thread in the high performance 2nd gen forum about his. He's done everything possible to keep it alive and it's dying on him.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BigBlue
VP44 longevity is a roll of the dice.
This seems to be the lattest theory....but with so many variables, I'm not convinced. There are just too many owners out there with high HP, high mileage, heavy towing, drag racing, etc....that have never had a problem.
It's not like the precision engineering and quality control on the VP44 is as sloppy as the 47 RE (auto tranny), for example, where some are very good and others are weak from day one. At least I don't think it's the same because the number of problems is so much smaller.....with no clear pattern, and many guys that toast their VP44's seem to do it 2, 3, even 4 times.
Until Bosch releases their findings from failure analysis...we may never know the causes. I'm just not ready to accept that it's luck of the draw.....yet!

radelow - In my opinion, the 24v's is a great first CTD truck...with the last 2 yrs being the best (01 & 02). The FASS will solve the weak link mentioned and is a great step towards reliability...just be sure a bad lift pump was not previously ignored.

RJ