Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

FASS install & pressure???'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASS install & pressure???'s

I just got a 150gph Fass I unit from a friend who sold his truck, anyway the install was pretty straight forward other than the return line from the FASS?? I didn't have the piece from the kit to plumb it into the 3/4" overflow line from the fill spout, but I noticed there was an unused fitting on the tank cap that just had a rubber cap & hose clamp on it so I just routed the return into that location, also might add I clamped the line for the pick up instead of using the little push on thing, seemed like a problem waiting to happen??,I then ran the supply line from the FASS into the back of my fuel filter housing so I could leave my Fuel Pressure sender from my Juice/Attitude hooked up at the pump, I ran the truck for a couple miles with the stock filter in place in case there was any junk in the lines, then I pulled it out, I had a new fuel/water seperator, but had to leave an old fuel filter on the FASS, will pick up a new FF tomorrow, when I first started the truck I had only 10-11 psi. at idle & could pull it down to 3-5psi., after running it a bit this evening it idles at 13-14psi., but I can still pull it down to 7-8psi. , what could be the cause of this??? I've read alot about different springs or stiffer springs??? where are these springs located????? also could my routing of the return line have anything to do with it???? I thought of running my supply line directly to the injector pump, but then I will lose my FP gauge altogether????? what should I do next???? like I said I'm gonna get a new filter first thing tomorrow & hope that's part of the problem & then I'll be relying on suggestions from here???? thanks alot for any info., Dusty
Old 10-23-2006, 12:39 AM

could be that fuel filter get your new one on then see i have seen mine get down to about 8psi wot change filter and right back to 16psi wot
Old 10-23-2006, 11:31 AM

UM....i would suggest looking into a RM-1002. This is the return manifold for your year truck. I dont see this being your low pressure issue...but you do not want any restriction on the return back to the tank.

Did you have the intank lift pump in your truck before you did the FASS? If you did, you will need to remove it and go back to stock or look into one of our Suction Tube Kits. I would try the 5 Gallon Bucket test (Look in my sig) anyway to see if you have any issues with the suction side of the pump. What is the serial number on your kit? I want to see how new it is. This will give us an idea of what pressure it should be running.

Let me know if you need any more help.....
Old 10-23-2006, 03:59 PM

not sure of the serial #, have to get it a bit l8er, but I know the date on it is 05'??? & I do not have the in tank lift pump, I was running an aux. lift pump on the frame near the tank, I also put on a new filter this morning it was a napa part # 1202, didn't seem to help the pressure much, only seems to be dropping to about 8-9 psi. now, but still only idling around 13-14 psi., should I try & stretch the spring that I've read about???? also would I be better off putting a "T" in the factory return line to run the FASS return to, or do I need to put it into the vent that runs beside the fill hose????? does it go into the vent or do I need to plumb it into the larger fuel supply hose?????? didn't get any directions & I just glanced at the directions on the DPP site before starting, & the previous owner said the FASS return was put in the same way I have it now?? thanks so much for the info. hope to get this thing straightened out soon, keep the reply's coming, thanks again, Dusty
Old 10-23-2006, 07:57 PM

well i'm a bit disappointed with the FASS at this point!! still not getting anymore than 13-14 psi. & it still drags down to around 8 psi., is this normal????? I talked to a guy at a local diesel perf. shop & he told me that the newer FASS pumps were junk, he talked about the systems with a serial # of 4,000 & up or something???? having erratic & low pressures??? I don't really mind the 13-14psi. at idle so bad, but is it healthy for my VP to be running down in the single digits???? I was keeping 10-11 psi. at WOT with just a pusher pump kit, what's next here guys???? I may try the spring stretch or swap to a stiffer spring, could someone walk me through what I need to do to stretch the spring out a bit, where is it?? & what all is gonna come out with it??, thanks a bunch & I hope I can get this worked out, I'd hate to have to pull this thing back off & go with something else?????? thanks again, Dusty
Old 10-23-2006, 11:46 PM

I have a new 95 gph unit, Dan said they were running lower pressure on the newer ones. I have 13 psi at idle, 10 psi at 60mph, easily pull it down to 6 or 7 at wot. These are stock pump numbers and should be sufficient. My first fass ran at 17 psi and never below 14, but it died of a bad bearing.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:50 PM

so Dan are my pressure #'s acceptable??????? I'd love to find out I've been all torn up over nothing!!! LOL either way I'd like for someone who knows to verify for me whether or not these are normal pressures????? thanks again, Dusty
Old 10-24-2006, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dusty did you leave the stock fuel line from your filter housing to your VP-44? IF so, replacing that line with rest of FASS 3/8" line should help WOT pressure, in the same way the old max fuel flow kits from Scotty helped .... by increasing the post pump reservoir. Just a hunch.
My FASS only pulls down 1-2 psi at WOT... but I do not run through the fuel filter housing and do have the 3/8" line to the VP.
RJ
Old 10-24-2006, 09:38 AM

rjohsnon- I thought about the same thing, but my problem is my fuel pressure sender from the Juice connects in there, I may try & make a T to put in the line to connect the sender to, I really hate to lose the FP gauge altogether, at least the way it is now I can see what's going on, I started to try running the big line from the fass all the way to the VP, but if I do that I'm gonna be flying blind & not know what the FP is or whether or not it helped???? thanks alot & I may try & rig something up so I can tap into the big line for my FP??? any ideas?? I appreciate it, Dusty
Old 10-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Banned

Dusty, sorry to hear about your problems. I just put the Vulvan Big Line Kit on my truck and with factory lift pump relocated back by the tank and now I see 16 idle, 14 at 85mph, and 10 at WOT. Removing those banjo bolts up front really helped my truck. I'm sure if you replaced those factory lines between the filter and the VP44 you'll gain a bunch. Seems like a FASS would do better though, I was under the impression that they were the stuff. Hopefully you find it to be a small fix somewhere. Good luck.

O, and my kit came with a 90 degree JIC fitting that mounted in the VP44 and my Attitude sensor just screwed right in. The 90 degree fitting has a 1/8 NPT port tapped in the bottom of it. Contact Eric at Vulcan. Maybe he can send you the fittings you need or tell you what to use. He was great to work with.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand. Can not see how the FP canister is a restriction, anyway... just suggesting 3/8" line from it to VP-44... if not already done?
EDIT: and the 90* JIC, mentioned by 4x4, if you still have bango bolts! Doesn't Geno's have them, too?
RJ
Old 10-24-2006, 10:34 AM

First off.....get rid of your stock filter head. Get you a 1/2"x1/2"x1/2"FPT "T". Get 2 1/2"MPT to 3/8" Barb fittings. AND some reducer bushing to bring that 1/2" pipe to 1/8" pipe for your gauge tap. AND before you install it, find some one with a mechanical gauge to double check your pressure.

The FASS systems are now set up to 13-14 PSI.

The HPFP's are set up for 18 PSI.

NOTE: You guys don’t even know how many gauges issues i get calls on that are blamed on the FASS. Double check your gauge to see if its reading correctly. If you have an isolator, Bleed and recheck....or ditch it!

You are running the FASS through the stock filter head. ANYTHING you add in a hydraulic system will cause a pressure drop due to friction/restriction. I would suggest running straight to the VP and see how your pressure reads.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:35 AM

thanks guys, I'm gonna try & get those banjo fittings replaced soon, so 4x4 your kit came with the 90 at the injection pump & it was tapped so my FP sender will hook right up????? if I read that correctly then that's exactly what I need, what kind of $$ am I looking at for one of the big line kits???? thanks again & I'll keep ya updated & see if the big line kit helps any?? Dusty

Dan, I thought I read a post on here someplace that said that it was ok'd by someone from FASS to run through the stock filter housing?????? I really don't see how it could be that big of a restriction w/out the filter in place???? I unhooked a stock lift pump/pusher pump setup that was making 18-19psi. at idle running through the stock filter housing & would hold 10psi. at WOT????? I guess if worse comes to worse I'll bypass the housing, but I thought with winter coming on the fuel heater wouldn't be a horrible thing to have in place???? is there any place I may pick up a 90 that has the 1/8" hole for my FP sender w/out buying the big line kit, if I have to bypass the filter housing then theres no need in paying for the rest of the big line kit right????? thanks for the help & hope I can get this thing goin right??? Dusty
Old 10-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Banned

I bought my Fass about six months ago and finally put it on last week. Well it diden't work kept blowing fuses, had another one put that one on and had no problems. Another guy had his put on and it sounds like a dying sheep it is so loud you can hear it a block away, mine is not loud at all?
Old 10-24-2006, 10:59 AM

Hi Guys

First post but thought a good place for me to chime in

I just installed a FASS 150/95 system on my newly bought, cherry 98 24 Valve CTD 3500 dually about 4 weeks ago, along with a Juice w/ Attitude. Similar install to Dusty's. I refused to wait to have issues with the LP and subsequently the VP44.

The first point to make is it's really important to eliminate all the fuel line restrictions that are present, especially from the stock fuel filter to the VP44. I removed both the stock LP and fuel filter,which also leaves many benefits to accessing the left side of the motor ie: the MAP and AIT sensors for periodic cleaning, amongst other things

I ran the 3/8" FASS fuel line directly to the VP44 as intended.

In dealing with the fuel pressure sender issue, I mounted the Edge FP sender to the FASS at the included port on the housing. Before plugging in the Juice module, I cut the fuel pressure sending plug off the Juice wiring harness about 6" back. It's a three wire harness which I extended approximately 8' with 18 guage wire, hard soldered and shrink tubed each connection and placed it in a plastic loom for protection.

I have an AFE Stage 1 Proguard 7 also installed, the Juice set for now at 1X3(don't want to take out the trans anytime soon) and a custom 3 1/2" exhaust feeding a Flowmaster into dual tailpipes. Under any acceleration scenario I've put this truck thru from mild to wild, the fuel pressure has not wavered from 16lbs at all. WOT, etc. I've been completely satisfied with it's consistency and performance. It's pricey and not for everyones budget, but if you can afford it I'd recommend it as a very good long term investment in your 24 valve, VP44 equipped truck.

Randi

addendum: I can't hear mine running either, it's pretty quiet. No power issues either.

Quick Reply: FASS install & pressure???'s