Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

FASS or Holley

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok am i missing something here, you can use an oil filter for a diesel filter? The fuel doesn't brake down the material in the filter????
Old 06-16-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#2 diesel is a light oil, easier on filters than gas.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:03 AM

FASS I comes with a Fleetguard 10 micron hydraulic filter for fuel filtration. Works fine. (I run the optional 3 micron filter...with no loss of FP).

RJ
Old 06-16-2005, 11:12 AM

You can run the FASS II and connect it right into the stock filter.

Here is a good one... I am getting a non anodized FASS II from Brad to run on a 71 Nova that has a late model 350. The late model small blocks dont have mechanical pumps..they use electric pumps in the tank. This FASS II will go on the frame back near the tank...

Can someone say overkill.....but I dont have to worry about it either..

Rick
Old 06-16-2005, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by piperca
darrenG.

Where did you get that Vulcan relocation kit?
I bought it from Eric at Vulcan Weld and Tool, goes by Vulcan, on this board. It's a sweet kit w/ the best customer service I've ever received. At WOT I don't see less than 12psi.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
CapnRam:

My vote would be for the Holley Red or Blue. I have had a Holley Red on my 2002 Dodge CTD for almost a year and a half now with no problems whatsoever! I am also running my stock
lift pump for "insurance." My son has been running a Holley Blue on his 2004 Dodge CTD CR
for over a year now, also with no problems at all!

FWIW, I see about 17-19lbs of pressure @ idle and NEVER get below 12-13lbs. I purchased my Holley Red at "Advanced Auto Parts" for about $90.00. They give a one (1) year warranty
on those pumps and that warranty is good at all of their stores in the U.S. We had both tried
the high priced "Product Engineering" (PE4200) Fuel Pumps; $300.00+. I had two of them and they both failed in less than three (3) months!! I realize some of the other DTR Members have
experienced problems with a few of the Holleys, but for $90.00 and a one year warranty I don't think you can go wrong! Regardless of what you may have heard, there have been
a few FASS sytems that have failed also. You can buy about four (4) Holley Red Pumps for what one FASS system cost.

If you put on any aftermarket "pusher fuel pump" I highly recommend also installing bigger
banjo bolts throughout the fuel system. You can get those through our own DTR Member "Scotty" or give "Geno's Garage" a call.

Good luck!

----------
John_P
Old 06-16-2005, 06:21 PM

the only one that I have heard of with trouble with a FASS unit is me with the brush wearing out, and that is what it took to fix it. One other had a bad unit which was replaced. Mine does not really compare as I put so many miles on mine. I doubt that you will put the number of miles on your truck as I have on my FASS.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John_P
[B]CapnRam: Regardless of what you may have heard, there have been
a few FASS sytems that have failed also. You can buy about four (4) Holley Red Pumps for what one FASS system cost.

----------
But in the same time I have a 4 yr. warranty so I haven't paid a dime for my fass pump if it fails
Old 06-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Muted User

Holley blue as the lift pump, not pusher. Mount it low, down on the frame rail and get some sort of inline strainer to use before the pump, not a filter, just a fine mesh steel screen strainer. Make sure you can drain it/blow it down. Then remove the tiny brass screen from the inside of the Holley blue suction side. I used a Cuno rotating basket strainer from the plant.

On a 400 to 500 HP truck anything more is just a waste of money and is making someone out there laugh all the way to the bank.

The above are my personal comments/opinions, which in this country, I am allowed to make/have. If you dont like them, don't listen to me.

KP
Old 06-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by darrenG
I vote none.

I bought a relocation kit for my LP from Vulcan and I never see below 12psi. That, plus a new LP cost me $240. .

FWIW http://www.hoeslidiesel.com/specials.htm

Check out the prices for these here, also got good customer service.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by darrenG
I bought it from Eric at Vulcan Weld and Tool, goes by Vulcan, on this board. It's a sweet kit w/ the best customer service I've ever received. At WOT I don't see less than 12psi.
darrenG,

Would you mind forwarding the info. for the relocation kit? Any pics?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
__________________________________________________ _______________
Quote by "jazz_kt":

"But in the same time I have a 4yr. warranty so I haven't paid a dime for my FASS if
it fails."

__________________________________________________ _______________

Very valid point "jazz_kt." However,.......one thing you need to remember is that IF that
FASS ever fails on you, you cannot just stop at a local auto parts store to buy another
one! My son and I faced this with those "Product Engineering (PE4200)" Fuel Pumps we
had and they left us both stranded in the middle of nowhere! One good point about the Holley Pumps as I pointed out above, is that you can obtain another one at any of 2,600
"Advanced Auto Parts" Stores throughout the U.S.! Also, many other auto parts stores stock them but not with the one (1) year warranty like "Advance" does. I realize you can buy another FASS Fuel Pump as a "back-up" in case the first one failed (we actually did that with
our PE's) but then you have spent another $300.00+ dollars!!

I wish you good luck with yours!

----------
John_P
Old 06-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Or you could just leave the old fuel system on the truck, ( with a new lift pump in place ) for a back up. This is what I did. I haven't had any problems with the FASS, but it is man made like everything else and could fail. Just wanted to be ready in case anything ever did happen to the FASS, as stated above, you wont find the FASS at an auto parts store.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:09 AM

I did the same, left the old lift pump in just in case there is a failure. Simple reconnect and send in the failed fass. And hope the lift pump will work until new fass pump arrives.I have often wondered if by not using the pump if it would lock up and maybe not work? anyone have any ideas on that.Maybe I should buy a holley as JohnP stated!
Old 06-18-2005, 04:00 PM

The fuel pulls through the FASS like it is not there. Been there done that. Carry the old lift pump with barb fittings on it, cut a hose shove it in, tie wrap it to the frame. Plug the extended harness to it.

Quick Reply: FASS or Holley