Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

FASS fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before i started work at DPP (Last week! haha!), i helped TONS of people with FASS issues. AND just from my personal experience, 75% of the issues were installer induced. Once the issue was resolved, the pump worked GREAT! Is FASS perfect? NO. But its proven to be VERY reliable and updates are consistantly being made to make it better and better. I would be very happy to personaly talk your friend to see if we can resolve any problems he might have with his FASS.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Dan
Before i started work at DPP (Last week! haha!), i helped TONS of people with FASS issues. AND just from my personal experience, 75% of the issues were installer induced. Once the issue was resolved, the pump worked GREAT! Is FASS perfect? NO. But its proven to be VERY reliable and updates are consistantly being made to make it better and better. I would be very happy to personaly talk your friend to see if we can resolve any problems he might have with his FASS.

YES there are to many do it yourselfers for there own good!
Old 03-29-2006, 08:36 AM

Tell me about it! Im one of them! haha.......
Old 04-08-2006, 04:24 PM

Sorry..
ALSO...i dont know if you did the upgrade or not, but there was a issue with the older FASS units with the 3/4" Buna Ball under the T-Block. This ball was too large and would sometimes stick and cause the unit to loose prime. A 5/8" ball was used to correct this problem. Affected SN# were before 2546. Wouldnt hurt to get this upgrade kit if needed. (Might as well get a pressure spring as well to freshen it up). Contact your dealer on that one. If you sent in your wnty card, this might be covered under that (The older units actually only had a "no" or 2 yr wnty depending on if you sent in your wnty card. The newer ones come with a 2 or 4 depending on the card. Check your SN#).

Made an edit......was was mistaken on one part of information.....
Diesel Dan you're a genius!!! Ordered the parts, with your help, fuel pressure immediately went to 20 psi, won't drop below 15 at WOT.
Interestingly, the kit came with new brushes, took out the 3 year old ones, less the 1/16 inch of ware, so I put them back in.
Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:43 PM

GREAT! Glad that worked for ya! Let me know if we can do anything else for ya......

Im messing with mine today to get the pressure back down to around 15PSI @ idle....just to see what it takes.... IM going to mess with some other springs here we got in a few weeks ago and going to cut on the 1002 spring (the one you have in your unit) to see what it takes to get the pressure back down to 15 (Kinda a field fix if you will.)

BUT its late...time to go pick up my XM reciever for my head unit!!! haha....

Glad yer all fessed up!
Old 04-09-2006, 10:44 AM

Dan,
I just went through all this, are you suggesting tha 20 psi may be a problem for the VP44?
Old 04-09-2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by grzpdlr
Diesel Dan you're a genius!!!
Thanks again.
Don't go too far with that.. It'll go to his head...
Old 04-10-2006, 08:57 AM

HAHAHA.....thanks Brian!

I can say that we have never had an issue related to a high pressure failure. Myself personaly, was a member on here LONG before i worked here! SO i read all the threads that say to keep the pressure under 25psi and such...and all the threads that say that "I have been running mine at 50PSI for a year with no issues". I dont think 20 PSI would be an issue at all......Myself, personaly, would like it lower around 18 where it is now, just like i feel some of yall might want to do as well. BUT i have access to all the springs i want!

For any out there that do have 20-21 PSI.....i found out where to cut the spring to bring it down to around 18 PSI. At the top of the spring, where the end coils back around and touches again.....cut right there. That should drop it around 3ish psi.........I tried the 1001 spring...and I got 8 PSI.....the spring is too weak.....My only suggestion is to run the FASS for a while and let the Pressure Springs/Motor Brushes Seat. This will bring pressures down a little. This will keep you from lowering it too much

We have other springs now for the new units came out.......im going to mess with them to see what pressures you get with each.....
Old 04-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My only suggestion is to run the FASS for a while and let the Pressure Springs/Motor Brushes Seat. This will bring pressures down a little. This will keep you from lowering it too much
Good advice. Mine started out at about 25, but has settled to 17 at idle, 16 cruising and 14 WOT.