Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.
View Poll Results: FASS or FASS II Problems
Trouble Free, No Problems
87.10%
Only Minor Problems
6.45%
This Thing is a Piece of Junk
6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

FASS or FASS II Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASS or FASS II Problems?

Just curious as to what the failure/problem rate is with the FASS or FASS II. I've had mine on for almost a year, and about 18k with no problems. Post your problem, experience.

Tye
Old 02-13-2006, 03:26 PM

Interestingly, I noticed yesterday that I had a lower fuel pressure. I was dipping down to about 10psi. Today, I am dipping down to 5psi. I guess it just got cold again, but it has been pretty cold for a while before and no problems. I use power service and mmo fuel additives. Any ideas?
R
Old 02-13-2006, 03:28 PM

i had one small problem back in december. the motor brushes on the fass2 were dirty and it would not work. got them cleaned out and runs fine. have extras in the truck now
Old 02-13-2006, 03:33 PM

Nikki, Where did you buy your brushes?
Old 02-13-2006, 03:34 PM

Rick (rharveysr) ordered them for me when he was ordering his. For two they were $58 i think
Old 02-13-2006, 03:51 PM

Over 20,000 miles and plenty of sub freezing days. No troubles.
Topper
Old 02-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Over a year and a half feeding over 390 HP and not the first problem.
I do need to get the numbers and replace the filters soon though.
Probably should get the spare brushed too.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rbattle
Interestingly, I noticed yesterday that I had a lower fuel pressure. I was dipping down to about 10psi. Today, I am dipping down to 5psi. I guess it just got cold again, but it has been pretty cold for a while before and no problems. I use power service and mmo fuel additives. Any ideas?
R
Double check your ground & positive connections? They should go directly to the battery, not the body or a tap in connection. Make sure they are tight and sound. Solder the connections instead of crimping them.

Have you changed your fuel filter lately?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Topper
Over 20,000 miles and plenty of sub freezing days. No troubles.
Topper
Same here....over a year on the truck too....outside air temps anywhere from -48*F to 110*F and everywhere in between not a problem
Old 02-13-2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by dslchk_cowgirl
i had one small problem back in december. the motor brushes on the fass2 were dirty and it would not work. got them cleaned out and runs fine. have extras in the truck now
The new ones are not serviceable. Time will tell how they last. The manufacturer said they were having problems with the caps letting water & dirt in, shorting the life of the brushes. Maybe a good idea to wrap them in duct tape?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the help. I checked the electrical connections and made sure they were secure. It didnt help. I think I may try changing the fuel filter because I really don't want to have to start taking things apart in this cold weather. I put the system on about 6000 miles ago, so I shouldn't really have a problem, but maybe I got a bad batch of fuel. I did fuel up the day before all this crap started.
R

Originally Posted by Geico266
Double check your ground & positive connections? They should go directly to the battery, not the body or a tap in connection. Make sure they are tight and sound. Solder the connections instead of crimping them.

Have you changed your fuel filter lately?
Old 02-14-2006, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the help. I checked the electrical connections and made sure they were secure. It didnt help. I think I may try changing the fuel filter because I really don't want to have to start taking things apart in this cold weather. I put the system on about 6000 miles ago, so I shouldn't really have a problem, but maybe I got a bad batch of fuel. I did fuel up the day before all this crap started.
R
You might want to collect the fuel from your water seperator and see if it has gunk in it, but changing the filter will tell you for sure. If it is bad fuel you might want to get an extra filter so you can change it if you get stranded some where with low or no FP.

Did you install the inline fuel filter that came with the FASS II? It may be clogged also.

Keep us posted on what you come up with.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:56 AM

Has anybody replaced the inline filter yet?
Old 02-14-2006, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Geico266
You might want to collect the fuel from your water seperator and see if it has gunk in it, but changing the filter will tell you for sure. If it is bad fuel you might want to get an extra filter so you can change it if you get stranded some where with low or no FP.

Did you install the inline fuel filter that came with the FASS II? It may be clogged also.

Keep us posted on what you come up with.

I checked the fuel from the water seperator (I have the FASS kit with the screw on filters). It appeared to be good. I am getting concerned it is a pinched or clogged pick up module, which would require time and money I don't really have right now. I am going to try to change the filter to see if that helps. Thanks for the help!
R
Old 02-14-2006, 11:00 AM

I checked the fuel from the water seperator (I have the FASS kit with the screw on filters). It appeared to be good. I am getting concerned it is a pinched or clogged pick up module, which would require time and money I don't really have right now. I am going to try to change the filter to see if that helps. Thanks for the help!
R

Well, I jiggled the wires for the solenoid and now it is working again. I am confused though, as I was registering fuel pressure even though the pump was not running at all. I did have to drive super easy to keep the fuel pressure up though. Hope it stays working!
R

Quick Reply: FASS or FASS II Problems?