Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fass

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 08:10 PM
JAX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did an install on the truck in my sig, it was an absolute breeze. Except for the stupid factory fuel line. A word of advice, pull the driveline off the rear diff and pivot it away from you. This way when you pull the fuel line from the tank, you can have someone looking at the fuel line from one side, and you can look at it from the other. This worked the best for me as my friend wedged little screwdrivers in the plug from the passenger side of the tank while I pulled from the driver side of the tank. It came out pretty easily this way.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:54 PM

I am not having LP problems just yet, but I am trying to become more informed on their system for when I eventually do have a lift pump failure. I tried searching for the FASS fuel pump website with no luck. Does FASS have a website or do I need to just look at all the websites that are selling the systems?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:21 PM

Jax thanks for the tip.

Any other info that you guys have is greatly appreciated.

Kelly- here's the site. http://www.dieselpp.com/
good luck!
Old 04-21-2006, 10:01 PM

I installed the FASS on mine because I travel lots with my wife and I don't want to be stranded anywhere. I had mine professionally installed (Diesel Innovations in Houston) because again, I don't want to mess up anything important (like fuel).

They removed the underhood fuel filter, assembly, etc...much cleaner look. I idle at 17 psi of fuel pressure now.

The more I learn, the more I know I made the right choice. Even the guys at the local dealership when I went to get inspected were telling me that the only problem I'll have with the truck is the lift pump. I told them I got rid of it....so, theoretically, one less problem to have on the road. Great peace of mind..do it.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:17 AM

As for the price, $440 sounds a little high. There is a DTR advertiser called Horse Power Upgrades... he sells for $379 I believe.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:28 AM

Yes, the price of 440 was in town and available that day, I know that he would have been making a heap off me. However after doing my research I went with the FASS (system). I paid $589 ($605 to have it sitting on my front porch). I went with the system because it takes the air out of the fuel via some sort of voodoo which in turn is suposed to give me more power and beter fuel ecomony yadda, yadda, yadda. Ultimatly I was looking to protect my injector pump and if 200 more bones will do it then what the heck.

The math: (1lp X $190) / 1.3 years = 146.15 Per year

146.15 per year X 4 year FASS warrenty = $584.62

I figure that if'in it lasts me 4 years, 1week, 3 days, 23 hours, 43 minutes and roughly 44.6ish seconds, I'd be a good deal.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Zedx148
I went with the system because it takes the air out of the fuel via some sort of voodoo which in turn is supposed to give me more power and better fuel ecomony yadda, yadda, yadda.

That’s funny....We got a laugh here....and figure that will be our new ad campaign! haha....anyway...if you have any issues with install or such...PM me...ill help you though it.

Hint on the line on the tank....some you can just get with your hand....BUT i have done several....but a trick that works pretty good for me is a flat blade screw driver. Push in on the line and pull up with the screwdriver on the lower plastic lock. Push down with your thumb on the upper lock. This works every time. May sound vague...but those of your that have done it know what i am talking about! Just be glad you don’t have a Ford....you want a hard one......that one sucks! About half the room and you have to use a special tool to get the line out...that works half the time! haha....
Old 04-26-2006, 02:59 PM

Diesel Dan -
Glad to hear that some appreciate my brand of sarcasm. The FASS is in the house and I'm excited to shove the darn thing under the truck however my sched has me tied up till Thursday night. I'll be under there with a flashlight if thats what it takes. (I've already installed it several times in my daydreams.) I may take you up on the pm.

Glad I don't driva a ford!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 08:51 AM

Thanks to you guys with the tips on the install and convencing me to go for it. I'm currently in the process. Do I break the clip off now that I have the hose disconected? It looks like the instructions show the guy holding it. I'm gonna check on the website for the color version.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Chapter President

...recommend that you do NOT use the QD connector to the fuel tank, clamp the hose directly onto the barbed fitting....I tried the QD (as apparently many on this site had) and could not get it to seal, thus would not prime the fuel system.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:09 AM

Good to know....Very good to know. Rauschbo, you just saved me from figuring it out the hard way. I appreciate all the help and will be checking back throughout my installation. I'll take all the advice I can get.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:05 PM

Ok I've got it in and running but it seems to be loosing its prime after I shut it off. Any suggestions? It will keep running but when I shut it off I can hear the fuel draining back into the tank. Then when I initially turn the key and the pump runs for about 10 seconds, I read about 2 lbs on the fp gauge. When I bump the starter it comes up to pressure roughly 17lbs. I ran it into my existing fuel filter so that I could keep running my gauge. Any common problems/fixes?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:20 PM

Hmmm. I've never heard of anyone running there full FASS through the stock filter. Could be kind of a bottleneck to your fuel flow and could be hard on the pump?
I'm not possitive on that though. I just installed mine per the directions and have happy ever since.
I would probably figure out a different way to run your gauge and bypass the filter. But that's just me.

Good luck and I'm sure someone with real knowledge about this will respond soon. j

Doug
Old 04-29-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zedx148
..... when I initially turn the key and the pump runs for about 10 seconds, I read about 2 lbs on the fp gauge. When I bump the starter it comes up to pressure roughly 17lbs. I ran it into my existing fuel filter so that I could keep running my gauge.....
10 sec & 2 psi sounds backward. Should come up to full pressure, or close, for 2-3 sec.

Did it always run for 10 seconds when you turn the key on? 02's don't.

As a test, I would remove the fuel filter and fill the canister with diesel fuel by bumping the starter. Than see how it works. You don't need the second filter...can leave the canister if you want to. Did you run 3/8" line from the FF canister to the VP-44 inj pump?

RJ
Old 04-29-2006, 10:41 AM

I ran it through the old filter in order to monitor pressure with my existing fp gauge set-up. My fp gauge is coming out of the oem filter test port after filter. This will not be my perminant set-up, I just wanted to get it up and running. I've heard where others splice in a T to connect it.

Yes, when I first turn the key during the "wait to start" the FASS, like my old lp, runs for about 5-10 seconds and during that time fp only gets to about 2lbs. When I bump it, it comes up to pressure (17lbs) in about another 10-15 seconds. What is happening is when I shut it off I can hear the fuel trickling back into the tank. Do you guys like the press on fittings that come in the kit? I was thinking that maybe air was getting into one. Should I get some clamps to back them up.

When I put the hoses in they obviously had air in them. When it starts pumping where does that air go? I never heard it go through the engine. Could some air be in the line causing it to loose prime? It hasn't been out of the driveway so maybe it needs to be driven.

Quick Reply: Fass