Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fass

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fass

I started the thread titled another lp.

I want to fix this once and for all. Has anyone installed the FASS or can anyone tell me about problems or success stories about it. How is it to install? I plan to install it myself. Any issues with warrenty? I have a 98.5. No upgrades.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:41 AM

Welcome to the DTR!

I installed my FASS II 2 weeks after the dealer replaced the factory lift pump and Vp, the lift pump started dying on after 2 weeks. The FASS is awesome. Simple install, takes a couple of hours, and if you have a shortbed a angle drill will make the install that much easier. I see 22psi @ idle, 20psi @ cruise and I can pull it down to 15-16psi @ WOT. The FASS will make your truck very happy.

Tye
Old 04-21-2006, 12:00 PM

Awesome Buckshot.

Keep 'em coming thats a lot of scratch ($) to lay down! I need to be convinced!

I currently have a 0-15 lb Autometer gauge w/ isolator. Is this going to be a problem w/ increased fuel pressure? Can/should I install a regulator to decrease pressure? I heard a buzz that higher pressure may not be good for my injector pump. Is that true?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:21 PM

Fass install

The hardest part of the install was removing the factory pick-up from the top of the fuel tank. I did not remove the tire or the bed, or drop the tank. I ran the supplied fuel line along the inside of the frame rail. Plugs right in to the factory wiring harness. If I rember correctly on a short bed it said to mount under the cab, I mounted mine on the front leaf spring mount. There were two brackets in the kit, we cut the on that goes on the truck in half, drilled new holes in it on a drill press then welded it to the bracket. Mounting it here the filters only showed about 1-2", as almost all of the assembley would have been exposed if mounted under the cab per instructions. The only thing i would recomend mounting them this way is to hang a piece of metal of ruber in front of them as they get peppered buy rocks, and salt. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zedx148
Awesome Buckshot.

Keep 'em coming thats a lot of scratch ($) to lay down! I need to be convinced!

I currently have a 0-15 lb Autometer gauge w/ isolator. Is this going to be a problem w/ increased fuel pressure? Can/should I install a regulator to decrease pressure? I heard a buzz that higher pressure may not be good for my injector pump. Is that true?
Your fuel pressure gauge will per pegged. I would get a different gauge, 0-30psi, I wouldn't drop the pressure. As far as the higher pressure for the Vp, I don't think its a problem, I read somewhere the Vp was rated up to 30psi???

P.S. If you have a long bed, I think there is a different bracket or visa versa???
Old 04-21-2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by jd4230
The hardest part of the install was removing the factory pick-up from the top of the fuel tank. I did not remove the tire or the bed, or drop the tank. I ran the supplied fuel line along the inside of the frame rail. Plugs right in to the factory wiring harness. If I rember correctly on a short bed it said to mount under the cab, I mounted mine on the front leaf spring mount. There were two brackets in the kit, we cut the on that goes on the truck in half, drilled new holes in it on a drill press then welded it to the bracket. Mounting it here the filters only showed about 1-2", as almost all of the assembley would have been exposed if mounted under the cab per instructions. The only thing i would recomend mounting them this way is to hang a piece of metal of ruber in front of them as they get peppered buy rocks, and salt. Hope this helps and good luck.
He has a 2nd gen, the pick-up doesn't need to be replaced, and the mounting is under the bed.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:31 PM

JD thanks, that's encouraging. I have also reviewed the instructions online, and it looks very straight forward. You mentioned cutting, was it necesary to weld it or could you have bolted it on? I also have a long bed so the short isn't an issue for me.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:43 PM

Should I get the kit w/ or w/out filters? I have access to one in town w/out filters for $440. Does this sound like a good price?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:57 PM

I would get the kit with filters that way you can totally by pass the factory lp. As for removing the fuel pick up line it needs to be removed from the top of the tank so you can hook up the pick up line for the fass pump. (how else are you goin get the fuel out of the tank )? As for replacing the truck I did it for other reasons. I did like the fass lp that I installed on my 01(2nd gen)not my 06(3rd gen)
Old 04-21-2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by jd4230
I would get the kit with filters that way you can totally by pass the factory lp. As for removing the fuel pick up line it needs to be removed from the top of the tank so you can hook up the pick up line for the fass pump. (how else are you goin get the fuel out of the tank )? As for replacing the truck I did it for other reasons. I did like the fass lp that I installed on my 01(2nd gen)not my 06(3rd gen)
I miss read your post. I thought you were talk'n about drop'n the tank down. My bad.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:11 PM

It's my understanding that the stand alone pump bypasses the existing lp but uses the existing filter. I'm not 100% sure on this I would have to look at the install instructions closer.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:31 PM

You are right, the FASS II uses the factory filter but bypasses the lp. I went with the FASS because the filters are easier to get to. It does cost a little more though.

I have heard of some of the dealers voiding a warranty but I bought my FASS from a dealer, so I guess it depends on who the dealer is.

As for the installation, it isn't that bad. I dropped the tank because I had just dropped it a couple of week prier to replace the fuel level sensor. It wasn't hard and I think it made it easier to get at the fuel line. The only thing that slowed us down was trying to understand the instructions, they are pretty vague in areas. But once we figured out what we had to do things came together pretty quickly.

I don't regret putting it on one bit.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:37 PM
G_T

Talking Do it!

My FASS 2 was my first mod (although I don't have many ).

Install was a snap - excellent instructions. As said above, the hardest part is getting the stupid fuel line off of the tank.

I did a lot of research like you are doing (other solutions, custom ones, etc.) and went with the FASS because of testimonials and the fact that it is a complete solution - no searching for brackets, hoses, wires, etc. The only extra thing I needed was wire zip-ties for the fuel lines.

I choose to stick with the FASS 2 because I wanted to use the stock filter with the water in fuel detector.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:32 PM

Its a done deal!! It'll be here on Tueseday!!

Thanks alot guys.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:17 PM

awesome! keep us posted on how install goes, i am about to do the same thing...just gotta find some time! good luck!!

Quick Reply: Fass