Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Factory Infinity CD player, new speakers, completely stumped on wiring....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Infinity CD player, new speakers, completely stumped on wiring....

Hello all, I just got my two rear quad cab doors open, after torching the bottom door latches off . I decided while I had the inner door panels off it would be a good time to replace my crapy factory speakers. The rear speakers were a breeze like I expected. Two wires and there done. Then I ripped the front door panel off and....... whoa there had to be 15 wires running to the 6x9 factory speaker with an amp attached to it . So my question is how to I get the two (pos and negitive) wires that I need out of this mess of wires to run my new speaker??(if its even that simple) Then what do I do with the other wires and amp? I searched the forums for an answer, most people already had aftermarked head units, how do I do this with factory head unit? Some people ran new wires through the door to the head unit, other's said it wasnt neccisary to run wires, just use whats there?! So im still lost, car audio wiring isnt my strong point so bear with me. Whats the easiest way to run these (Clarion 6x9 180 watt) speakers in the front doors with a factory head unit and harness going to the door? thanks to anyone with info! Every time I start a project on this rig it becomes a nightmere, the interior is tore apart in a hundred pieces, door speakers hanging by the wires and I need to drive this to work monday!!!
Old 04-26-2008, 09:30 PM

On the infinity system, (just replaced mine) there are two wires from the amplifier to the speakers, you can attach those two wires to your new speakers and they will work. I THINK this is the only way you can wire aftermarket speakers to a stock head unit.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:36 PM

haha u sound like me, my head unit was crap too so i tosed it but i tryed figering out the wireing even with a diagram i couldnt do it so i ran new ones. but the thing it i had to run new wires to the back too. apparently those amps controal the back speekers and tweeters too. so its alot biger project then u thougth. but if its all tor up anyway it shouldnt be to back, o u can wire it all in to the back of the deck but i dont know if itll sound like you want it to on that stock deck
Old 04-27-2008, 06:49 AM

well ill see what happens....

Im going to try Nike's idea first, that seems a lot easier than anything else ive read. I'll put a multi-meter on the two sets of wires that I need and make sure they dont exceed the 180watt rating for the speakers. If that plan turns to crap like most of mine do on this truck ill replace the stock head unit. That makes sense now Bullboy why there are so many wires going to and from the amp, I didnt realize the amp powered all my other speakers too! Any more advise id love to hear it everyone!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:56 PM

Crutchfield may have plug in adapters with no need to butcher the stock wiring. Check them out, they have a website.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:44 PM

I got everything hooked up sunday and working great. I wired it up as Nike recommended. There are two black and two green coming from the built in amp going to the + and - on the speakers. I screwed the factory amp onto the back of the new speakers similar to the factory set up, plugged my +/-'s in like they were on the old ones and they work great! Thanks again!