Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

F1 injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think with 4's and a stock turbo heavy towing wouldnt go so well. The thing to think about with injectors is you cant turn them down.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you turn off the box and watch the pyro you might be ok, but I am sure you will be much happier with a turbo upgrade if you tow.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatbed24v
if I do tow heavy with Mach 4 will I have to have a bigger turbo to keep egt's down or could I turn my box down to one
The Mach 4s will have somewhat reasonable EGTs on level ground and in "normal" towing situations.

The problem will come when you start to use the much higher levels of power that these injectors can provide. Just because you have 400hp worth of fuel doesn't mean that you can go charging up a hill as if you have a 400hp ISX under the hood.

Ultimate towing power available isn't just a function of having the fuel available, but you have to be able to burn it completely enough and early enough to keep temperatures under control.

To me, that means optimizing the turbo's "sweet spot" to coincide with the load and RPM conditions where you will use it the most.

The "sweet spot" of the stock turbo is too low for towing heavy with large amounts of fuel. If scale back the power, it works well-- but at higher power levels the turbine is too restrictive. You really need a larger turbine, not just a larger turbine housing imo.

This is where a larger turbine like the 71mm size used by HTT and II can be so beneficial. While it has a little more lag (it takes more gasflow to get into its range), it will also perform better at the higher flow levels required to tow at higher power levels.

If you're willing to limit the power you use, you can tow just fine with the M4s except for extreme cases (thin air, extra heavy load, etc)
Old 08-24-2008, 02:31 PM

I had diesel dynamics 150hp injectors with a stock turbo in my old 01 and I towed real heavy with them without a problem. I found that the egts were cooler if the drag box was 1 or 2 than with it totally off.

If you were towing real heavy up a long steep grade, it might get a little toasty but not too bad. I can't remember the exact temp but I know it wasn't in the danger zone.

Go for the m4's, you won't have any problem doing anything you need to do.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
..and, may I add, those DD injectors are known to run a little bit warmer than the F1s.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:54 PM

it sounds like the m4's will be good for what I want to do for now and will be great with a turbo upgrade
Old 08-24-2008, 04:23 PM

I told myself 2 months ago that if Diesel ever got under $4.00 a gallon
I would pull the trigger on some Mach 1.6 injectors. Went by a station on Friday. It was down to 4.15 a gallon I'm thinking I should be ordering by mid Sept.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:56 PM

With what I have I can safely tow as long as I stay above 2200 rpm. I can however hit 1200 on a 110mph run with the injectors alone. These injectors CAN be towed with and CAN be daily driven but F1s own description of them is no BS.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:40 PM

I might also add some things to your list of mods that will be almost necessary if you decide on the Mach 4s. That stock clutch wont hold the first pass and that stock size exhaust and stock airbox are going to let your EGT's very high. I see that you are in Stephenville and I know of one truck with Mach 1.6's and another with Jammer 2 injectors(mine)...........we would both be willing to take you for a test ride to help you make up your decision on what you think about injector power. I personally wouldnt trade for my Jammer 2 injector/Edge box and stock turbo configuration for towing or getting on down the highway in a hurry.

Now..............I feel sure Im going to receive a whole lot of negative response from board members but my little cheap Jammers burn cleaner and make just as much power as my good friend who has the Mach 1.6's. I can assure you they (Mach 1.6) are not worth twice the money. Just my thoughts.......
Old 08-26-2008, 08:16 AM

I would love to go for a ride to feel the injector power if you don't mind
Old 08-26-2008, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by SO5.9
I might also add some things to your list of mods that will be almost necessary if you decide on the Mach 4s. That stock clutch wont hold the first pass and that stock size exhaust and stock airbox are going to let your EGT's very high. I see that you are in Stephenville and I know of one truck with Mach 1.6's and another with Jammer 2 injectors(mine)...........we would both be willing to take you for a test ride to help you make up your decision on what you think about injector power. I personally wouldnt trade for my Jammer 2 injector/Edge box and stock turbo configuration for towing or getting on down the highway in a hurry.

Now..............I feel sure Im going to receive a whole lot of negative response from board members but my little cheap Jammers burn cleaner and make just as much power as my good friend who has the Mach 1.6's. I can assure you they (Mach 1.6) are not worth twice the money. Just my thoughts.......

Thats hilarious.

i went from 100hp jammer to m4's and they smoked less than the jammers with my stock turbo.

also you only have 75hp, your buddy has 90, a true 90hp.

not trying to be mean but i think that is funny
Old 08-26-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dieselcamper
I told myself 2 months ago that if Diesel ever got under $4.00 a gallon I would pull the trigger on some Mach 1.6 injectors.
Get your credit card ready. Local Walmart is $3.83, with a gas card. Think this is lowest in the country right now.

'Flatbed24V' - Those that have run both will tell you Jammers do burn hotter and smoke more. They also tend to dyno less than advertised.
They are also a decent buy for those on a tight budget. But you said you want "quality" and "to only have to buy injectors once".
QED - Mach 4's.
When talking 15+ injection events a second (cruise)... at fuel pressures that will cut a hole through your finger, top quality is worth considering. JMO

RJ
Old 08-26-2008, 09:32 AM
The Guru

Dynomite makes a decent clean low egt injector as well. I've ran both DDP and mach's, I like both just Don's has a longer waiting time for sticks. DDP will have them on the shelf. Is Don back making sticks again?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 AM

Anyone know what the mileage differences would be b/t the 2 and 4?

FYI - Diesel was 3.79 when I drove by the filling station last night here in KS.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by quicksilvr
Anyone know what the mileage differences would be b/t the 2 and 4?
None ....if you drive both the same. I lost no mileage going from Mach 2's to 4's to 6's..... unless I play hard!

RJ

Quick Reply: F1 injectors?