Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

EZE and RV275?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 11:09 AM
DRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EZE and RV275?

So what is this combination like for power? I plan on using this for towing mostly. Are the EGT's farly reasonable? Will the stock clutch handle it? Is a 4" exhaust necessary? I don't really want to go with a comp. as I'm still a little gun shy after my last comp. fried pump.

thanks
Old 08-14-2003, 11:10 AM

Re:EZE and RV275?

You should be fine with lots of towing power. Might want to get some highflow banjos on there though.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:51 AM
Ben

I have this combo in my truck. Great for towing. Took a 4000 mile roundtrip mini vacation (thought I was gonna move) to N Cali and avg 18-20 mpg. Truck and 14ft enclosed trailer were loaded down. Avg speed was 75 mph with fuel pressure avg 10psi, egts never got above 1100. Combo does real well. I also highly recommend Rod's high flow banjo's. My FP remained at stock levels even with the mods I attribute that to the banjo's.

BTW - Rod is one of the best guys I have ever done business with! ;D

Jamie- Cool truck, bet it turns alot of heads. Extremely original. ;D

Ben
Old 08-14-2003, 04:06 PM

I got the 275's and ez from Rod, I am all smiles, haven't towed with it yet but the mpg and grin factor are up on both.
I have a puff of smoke before it gets spooled up. Not sure what etg change there was, no gages, but talking to Rod he felt that this was a good combo for what I wanted, more pulling power in the moutains for towing, and more mpg.
I had 110k on the truck when I did the install last month. ;D ;D 8)
;D
Old 08-15-2003, 08:02 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I had just an ez. My vp44 went out so I took off the ez and got the vp fixed. I rode around for a few weeks stock to get some mileage comparisions. I then installed some 275's a few weeks ago. Ran with just the 275's for a mileage test on a few tanks and the power from the 275's was nice but not as much as the ez alone. Gained about 1-1.5mpg. Just the other day I put the ez back on. I am suprised at the amount of smoke it will put out (with the ez on the middle setting) but the power is quite nice. Not anywhere near extreme but very nice. Egt's do climb higher quicker. Last night I messed with my wastegate and coming to work this morning max boost went to 30psi and egt's stayed in check playing along the way slowing down and accelerating up to 85 up the hill several times. I drive up about a 6 mile long hill on the freeway into town. Now this was empty. Going on a road trip this afternoon through the Rockies and Sunday will be bringing back a load of wood will see what happens over the weekend loaded.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:52 PM
DRD

Has anybody ever dynoed this combo to see how the power adds up?

Trending Topics

Old 08-18-2003, 08:17 AM

DRD:
Well I made my trip to the far side of the state over the Rockies and the truck ran great. I was not able to bring back a full load of wood like I had hoped too. It rained like heck there for a while and got too muddy to drive back there and get back out with the wood. So now I have twice as much to bring back. I got 20.6mpg on the way out and I haven't filled the tank since I got back last night but it looks to be about the same based on how much fuel I have left. This was driving there at 60-70mph and back at 65-80 mph in heavy traffic with lots of passing and slowing. EGT's were good. Places like Wolf Creek pass where it is 6% uphill for 10 miles the truck could accelerate at any point to faster than I was willing to go while keeping EGT's in check. There were times when egt's got high but it wasn't under wot or hard acceleration and it was very easy to control by just letting off a little bit or pushing the go pedal more to increase boost. Max boost I saw was 32psi but generally did not get above 29. I am thinking a 4 inch exhaust might help the egt's under the lower boost conditions where egt's did get high. I have an auto with the little hy35 9cm housing. It appears that it can take the combo ok most of the time. I couldn't believe how hard it would pull. I am quite happy with the results and can now say I am done in my bombing quest(yeah right) at least for power. It has enough for me. We have a dyno day setup for Sept 13th and will dyno the combo then. If no one has chimed in with a run by then I will post my results. I suspect that with a good load egt's will be more of an issue but empty they are not really an issue.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:34 AM

Barry, are you using a turnbuckle on the wastegate? I am doing that on my 2001.5, but can't seem to keep them on. Do you tighten the turnbuckle with a wrench? I don't know if I should, I've been keeping them hand tight.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:13 PM

Wheezer:
When I put it back on the other day I put it on hand tight and went out for a test drive and was disappointed. Boost didn't go over 20psi. Thought what the heck. Went back home popped the hood open and the thing was gone. So I put on another one tightened pretty fair but I also used a jamb nut. One side of the turnbuckle will use a standard size thread I threaded a nut on it then tightend the turnbuckle down to what I thought was fairly tight but could have gone more then I snugged that jamb nut up against it. So that it can't unscrew/loosen without loosening the jamb nut first. That is how I had the original one on from before and it never had a problem so I figured I should put it back that way after being lazy. Since I lost the orignal turnbuckle on my test drive I had to get another one and found one that the center section was solid and hex shaped an open end wrench of the right size fit it perfect. The orginal was not solid and was a real pain to get tightened down. The second style was so much easier.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:37 PM
DRD

Thanks for the input!!
Old 08-18-2003, 03:50 PM

Good combo to have. I know with this setup I smoke pretty good until the turbo catches up. I'm sure people wonder if there's something wrong with my truck.

Plenty of power? Umm depends if you can ever be happy with any power level right?

It's easy on your tranny if you have a standard and works well for pulling any load.

I dynoed this setup but the dyno that I was at was malfunctioning so after it reached @ 2400 RPM it would go ballistic. But looks like it was peaking right at 300HP at the wheels
-CM
Old 08-19-2003, 07:50 AM

Thanks Barry
Old 08-21-2003, 09:42 PM

EZ + 275's = 300 hp.

This has been my experience/observations.

wes
Old 08-21-2003, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what the rear wheel hp would be but I'll give this comparison. Tonight I was stopped at a light with a pretty black 3500 beside me. A short way down the road the construction narrowed to one lane. The black 3500 left the light with a slight chirp of the tires, I beat him to the single lane. He was manual also. I was pulling my empty trailer of 7000 pounds. I grinned for ten minutes. Whatever the power feels like running empty, the real amazing change comes when pulling heavy and charging up a steep hill. Mileage averages better, empty is a big improvement, loaded light is an improvement, pulling heavy and using all the power will cost you fuel. My worst was at 32,200 gvw going north up I81 in Virginia, about 9 1/2, made up for it with 14 with the empty trailer. Best money I ever spent.

Quick Reply: EZE and RV275?