Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Extra Fuel Capicity

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra Fuel Capicity

After spending big bucks for a new truck I think that I need to put off getting an aux fuel tank for a while.<br><br>As an interim solution what do you think about carrying 2 or 3 plastic fuel cans in the locking tool box in the bed. Is there some kind of pump one could use to transfer to the truck's tank so that an old man doesn't have to lift the fuel cans?<br><br>Anybody tried this? Would it be downright dangerous?<br><br>Thanks for your help.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:59 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re:Extra Fuel Capicity

In my mind carrying any kind of spare fuel around is extremely hazardous. But in some situations it is necessary, like crossing Alaska. I would think about where I was headed and how much danger I would be in of not finding fuel. If the risk is minimal I would not carry it.
I have traveled back and forth across the country and never gotten close to running out, but I never let it get below a quarter tank either.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:48 PM
Chapter President

Before I put on a aux tank I carryed 6 5gal jugs in my tool box they fit nice without moving around....the only time I filled them was when I found really cheap fuel or I had to run into a state with high fuel prices.....diesel isnt as bad to carry as gas but in hot weather be careful of expansion<br><br>But I do agree that carrying loose fuel is not a good ideal unless your not going to be close to a fuel stop and mite run out
Old 12-07-2002, 04:12 PM

You do not need the extra fuel tanks while traveling Alaska unless to go up into the Brooks Range and even then to can get fuel at Cold Foot. There are plenty of gas stations in Alaska that take Credit Cards 24 hours a day. If you really need more fuel for your truck add another tank under the bed or replace your existing tank with a larger tank. I have been thinking of going with a larger 55 gallon tank that way I could drive from my house to Valdez and back on one tank. It would save me $20 per trip. At that rate it would pay for the upgrade in about 4 years.