Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

External wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by banshee
Justin,

It was MIG welded together after being torch heated. So far it's holding good!

John
You can't weld cast iron with a mig. You have to weld cast iron with a 99% nickel arc rod.

If you welded the riser pipe with a mig the metal is cast steel. Same type of steel the wastegate housing is on your top turbo.

Looks very clean. Dam fine job. Where are you getting boost from to feed that regulator?
Old 04-14-2005, 01:57 PM

You can't weld cast iron with a mig. You have to weld cast iron with a 99% nickel arc rod.
Says Who? According to AWS A5.15, the specification from the American Welding Society for welding rods on Cast Iron it is possible. I'll agree that a nickel rod is a best practice, but it's certainly not the only practice. You can put a variety of different wire in a MIG machine, including wire with a nickel content, to get the job done. Also, the cast iron ATS manifolds (per the ATS website) have are a quality ductile iron casting that is higher in nickel, silicon, and manganeese that helps weld quality. The wastegate flanges are carbon steel, the pipe is DOM carbon steel. The picture shows the result, and it's been that way (except for the coating peeling off ) for several months.

If you welded the riser pipe with a mig the metal is cast steel. Same type of steel the wastegate housing is on your top turbo.
The wastegate itself (the Tial) is cast from 347 SS, but the turbocharger exhaust housings are cast iron as well... not steel.

Looks very clean. Dam fine job. Where are you getting boost from to feed that regulator?
Thanks! I'm pulling it out of the pipe running into the intercooler with a welded on bung.

John
Old 04-14-2005, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by banshee
Says Who? According to AWS A5.15, the specification from the American Welding Society for welding rods on Cast Iron it is possible. I'll agree that a nickel rod is a best practice, but it's certainly not the only practice. You can put a variety of different wire in a MIG machine, including wire with a nickel content, to get the job done. Also, the cast iron ATS manifolds (per the ATS website) have are a quality ductile iron casting that is higher in nickel, silicon, and manganeese that helps weld quality. The wastegate flanges are carbon steel, the pipe is DOM carbon steel. The picture shows the result, and it's been that way (except for the coating peeling off ) for several months.

The wastegate itself (the Tial) is cast from 347 SS, but the turbocharger exhaust housings are cast iron as well... not steel.

John
Can you please share the diameter/wire info of the wire that was used in your mig.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:16 PM

I'll ask my buddy who welded it tonight. I'm on my way to dyno my truck and he's supposed to meet me there. I'll post back and let ya know.

John
Old 04-14-2005, 03:17 PM

Let us know what she puts to the ground.

Justin
Old 04-14-2005, 05:08 PM

If you welded that manifold with standard er70s mig wire be careful because it "could" break, if in fact that manifold is cast iron not cast steel. Two different animals entirely. With cast iron that weld could pop right out of there no problem, preheat or not. I know when I ported my stocker I could tell it is cast steel not cast iron. FWIW

Roman
Old 04-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
justinp20012500 and RDLeader:

I have exactly the same set-up on my 1996 Dodge CTD as my son (banshee) does.
All the welding on our trucks was done by our good friend Bobby Downes @
"Downes Performance Welding and Fabrication", Wilmington, N.C. Bobby also has
done his 2002 Dodge CTD Scheid Twin Turbo truck the same way as ours. You had
asked about the size wire used in the welder and in talking with him earlier
tonight, he stated that it was thirty thousandths wire size (ER70). None of
us have had ANY problems with the welds or the external exhaust wastegates.
They have been on the trucks close to six months now and we all drive them
very hard!

BTW, "banshee's" best run on the Dynojet 248C tonight was 583 H.P./1100 Tq.
Not bad for a truck with stock injectors!

---------
John_P