Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Expected life from one of DTTs auto?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have never heard a bad thing about any DTT installer... but Mass Diesel gets so many rave reviews it's almost boring
You will love your "New" truck when they get-er-done!

RJ
Old 05-03-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by mcoleman
Old man. Either RJ didn't read this or is not prone to retaliation.
Did not see it till now... think DD & I were both typing at the same time.
I'll let it pass..... THIS time!

RJ
Old 05-03-2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Silverjay
Is this with any other goodies to the "base" DTT other than all three billet's?
It has the three billet shafts, plus the billet hub and drum.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I don't think anyone's ever broken a DTT or wore one out. That's why I'm going with them. Even Jim Fulmer with 873hp isn't hurting his.
And his was built for 600 hp..... and with no billet shafts and no extra clutch pack or billet drum like on the newer models of DTT.
His DTT man in Dallas said he has been planning to upgrade it for two yrs when it shows signs of needing more "beef"...but it's still going strong as is!

RJ
Old 05-03-2006, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My buddy on his 90s 12V has one in his daily driver goes out of town all the time to work had it for a now year and loves it, bigger turbo, injectors, etc
Old 05-17-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by kawi600
I just put down 2000$ on the parts for the DTT build-up. I didnt go with the billet intermediate or output shafts but Im planning on staying under 500hp so I hope thats a safe bet.
In my case the DTT installer is about 20mi from my home so it was a no-brainer on deciding which vendor to go with.

Good luck 2ya,, my dtt was supposed to be ready before christmas after calling and requesting a refund of my deposit it got built and installed january 06 rebuilt twice since and still not right.

my truck 2001qc 4x4 ezchip, bhaf, banjo bolts & exhaust, had plans to go to 500hp but im spending all my time & money driving 5hrs one way to dtt repair shop
Old 05-17-2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by CC379
Good luck 2ya,, my dtt was......installed january 06.... rebuilt twice since and still not right.
You had your DTT tranny built and rebuilt by two (different) of their most expirienced installers. Something sounds out of wack!
Could you be specific about the problems you have encountered?
I'm sure those looking at tranny rebuilds would be interested!

RJ
Old 05-17-2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
You had your DTT tranny built and rebuilt by two (different) of their most expirienced installers. Something sounds out of wack!
Could you be specific about the problems you have encountered?
I'm sure those looking at tranny rebuilds would be interested!

RJ

a bunch, this story aint over yet, the three dtt's ive had all have been a little different style shifting etc, when they work right there great. talked to Bill today he is about fed up with my arrogant trying to diagnose my own transmission additude and internet dtt bashing. dont blame him 1 bit, im fed up with this bs trans, wish i coulda been one of you guys who got a good one, 2 of the most experianced installers may not want to deal with me anymore not sure what i do for warranty yet

the current shifting problems are unknown, it hunts in all gears, Bill's #1 suspect now is my handcontrols i am in a wchair. whatever he tried to explain to me about hcontrol angles went over my head?

Bill suspected voltage earlier, i had batteries tested there fine, but battery cables were corroded, Bill said sign of low voltage. i had cables cleaned and a trans mech hook up instrument, voltage & tps tested good, showed highvoltage on govenor trans sensor & transducer, but on a dtt thats normal.

i have no clue whats wrong but i guess i will keep arrogantly guessing until its fixed. bill did explain clearly why some of my electrical & shifting theories were wrong.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:54 PM

First of all I want to make it perfectly clear that Bill is not worried or feels that this post of Mr. Cunninghams is a threat to our company. We are certainly not wanting it deleted or removed because we are not the least intimidated. We went the distance trying to help this guy with nothing but abuse to date and we won’t tolerate it anymore. For those of you that are wondering what is going on with this truck it is a hand control truck, this is not a new thing for us as we have done them before. Based on this customers email we paid to have this truck done 2 or 3 times. Finally Bill said no more, this is insane, the customer stories are conflicting and never the same about symptoms that only he could simulate and yet we tried to help him. The dealers were not able to simulate this guys complaints and he does not return phone calls so finally Bill said no more until he calls in and speaks to Bill personally

Bill had me chase him down on the phone, as he just wouldn’t call in. After a 5-minute conversation with him Bill realised the truck was hunting. We paid and paid and this truck was just hunting. That is why our dealers could not find anything wrong with the units as they went through them. We even used 2 separate dealers to eliminate the human error factor and completely different parts. So as it stands this truck has electronic issues and possibly even a PCM issue.

Mr. Cunningham got mad that Bill would no longer respond via email or take seriously the self-diagnostics he was doing that led us on a merry expensive chase, simply changing parts is not our style without proper diagnostics in the first place but we did it to try and facilitate him. . As we made it plain we were not going to respond via email it was made clear to us that these posts would happen and so they did. As a matter of fact he threatened to sign up for every diesel website and bad mouth and we still will no longer do diagnostics via email because he is too stubborn to call in. It did not help that we refused to give a free output shaft.

That about covers it for now. If this truck needs, electronics, pcm, fabrication to further facilitate his hand controls so be it, fabricate we will, this whole thing is absurd its not like we were not available for assistance right from the get go. So believe what you will guys the free ride is now over, we have helped many, many , guys but will not tolerate deliberate dishonesty.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:33 PM

Sounds like a bad coincidence so far
Im still on the DTT despite the bad results in that case. Too many people with great results and one with possible electronics problems. Plus Ive got a local tech who guarantees the transmission despite all the power mods Im going to install afterwards.
Good luck getting this all sorted out. This is why I hate dealing with electronic complexity in cars. =(
Old 05-17-2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stefan
First of all I want to make it perfectly clear that Bill is not worried or feels that this post of Mr. Cunninghams is a threat to our company. We are certainly not wanting it deleted or removed because we are not the least intimidated.

True Bill did say this on the ph today, i offered to remove posts

We went the distance trying to help this guy with nothing but abuse to date and we won’t tolerate it anymore. For those of you that are wondering what is going on with this truck it is a hand control truck, this is not a new thing for us as we have done them before. Based on this customers email we paid to have this truck done 2 or 3 times. Finally Bill said no more, this is insane, the customer stories are conflicting and never the same about symptoms that only he could simulate and yet we tried to help him.

I HAD THE FIRST TRANSMISSION IN JOHNS SHOP, Bill was on the phone with John the pressures didnt check out, John locked the t/c with an electrical switch the converter would not hold. John said it was a bad t/c. when i brought it back for the second rebuild John said it was the valve body. John put about 4valve bodies in the transmission that day trying to get the pressure right and when i left he said he still wasnt real comfortable with the pressure it was running.

The dealers were not able to simulate this guys complaints and he does not return phone calls so finally Bill said no more until he calls in and speaks to Bill personally.

Bill did call when he heard i had problems with the first trans, after it was confirmed in johns shop that the trans was bad, i never heard a word out of Bill, i emailed dtt a few times Shanti would answer sometimes but not bill. i finally ask where that guy was who builds every dtt but didnt build mine.

my transmission was shifting bad, sometimes binding up kind of like a second gear take off, one day in okc i manually shifted it to first going through a stop light, the truck jerked then went back & forth a few times, i put it back in drive made it out of intersection, went to dr appt, came back about 30mins later started it up shifted fine.

James in dallas did call and say he picked up the truck from the airport drove it to the shop, he said it shifted fine pressures checked out ok, i never met James in person i was in wash dc, what i was told was he totally rebuilt trans & found nothing wrong with it, however on my flight back into dallas my cell phone was turned off james left a message said he had some electrical issues he was trying to work out but was short on time and wanted to be sure my truck was at airport when i arrived. it cost me $170extra to fly out of dallas instead of okc but i thought if i can get trans fixed i would be happy.

Bill had me chase him down on the phone,????????

Shanti & Bill are the only 2 i recall talking on the phone

as he just wouldn’t call in. After a 5-minute conversation with him Bill realised the truck was hunting. We paid and paid and this truck was just hunting. That is why our dealers could not find anything wrong with the units as they went through them. We even used 2 separate dealers to eliminate the human error factor and completely different parts. So as it stands this truck has electronic issues and possibly even a PCM issue.

Do what? honesty?

James and I both knew the trans had issues b4 i left dallas,

dont forget the leaking nonlocking t/c in johns shop and several valve bodies that wouldnt hold???

Mr. Cunningham got mad that Bill would no longer respond via email or take seriously the self-diagnostics he was doing that led us on a merry expensive chase, simply changing parts is not our style without proper diagnostics in the first place but we did it to try and facilitate him. . As we made it plain we were not going to respond via email it was made clear to us that these posts would happen and so they did.

why not email? you can post my emails if you want

As a matter of fact he threatened to sign up for every diesel website and bad mouth and we still will no longer do diagnostics via email because he is too stubborn to call in. It did not help that we refused to give a free output shaft.

i said i am keeping notes and the full story will be posted on every website im a member of good bad or ugly, my fault, trucks fault or dtt's,

im ok with mistakes but when you know you have a bad batch of torque converters i dont appreciate spending my time & money searching for good ones.

i got one email from shanti,,that said no more emails if you want to talk call bill, i called bill he decided it was a hunting problem, then he said get your batteries tested and check shift points. i called him back said batteries tested 12.68v each, he said i bet they didnt load test. they did load test, then i started to explain mph shift points he said i dont want to hear it, i only want rpm and shift points. then he said you need redtop batteries new cables and probably a tps. i took the truck on a test drive, drove several times watching shift points and rpm, i emailed bill the results. i didnt see the point in calling him because i hadnt replaced batteries cbls or tps yet.

then i get this email

Mr. Cunningham , as of right now we still have not heard from you , as your job involves hand controls it is more complex and he is not going to do it via email. He has not heard from you as of the end our business day eventhough we have repeatedly requested that you call the shop. He is only here for half a day tomorrow and then back on Tuesday morning. Again unless you contact the shop and do your diagnostics via phone we cannot help you. This is not the first hand control set up we have done but your set up needs to be addressed via phone to cut to the chase. If you are unable to contact him until next week that is fine but he will not do diagnostics via email . He never has and if you continue driving the truck with hunting issues you will cause damage you need to get it dealt with.

imo repeatedly requested is more than 1 time.

there phone service surely does not only work during office hours, if it was important i not drive the truck why not give me a call?

i had a local trans mechanic hook up a computer it showed tps, voltage & everything were good, the only code he got was high voltage to the trans govenor sensor & transducer, from talking to Bill highvoltage is normal for a dtt.

now it is down to hand controls, or is it? James checked hc's along with 2 other mechanics.

That about covers it for now. If this truck needs, electronics, pcm, fabrication to further facilitate his hand controls so be it, fabricate we will, this whole thing is absurd its not like we were not available for assistance right from the get go. So believe what you will guys the free ride is now over, we have helped many, many , guys but will not tolerate deliberate dishonesty.

Stefen feel fre to show me anything dishonest i posted.

Honestly i think dtt is just looking for a ticket out of this disaster they dumped on me,

today i offered to take my truck to dallas have James check out hand controls if hc's are the problem i pay all his time for testing, Bill said he dont think James wants to deal with me anymore, i wonder why?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:09 PM
The Guru

Hey I just put some water on the DTT flamers, I love my PDR tranny. This thing shift amazing and still holding tight to my whimpy engine. I have 10k on the tranny since January. I put my truck on a train and shipped it to PDR. They did a complete custom build with lots of custom billet parts. My house is 600 miles from PDR, I would still do again. Top end service and even got my truck tweaked on the dyno after. I haven't towed yet or run a drag strip as there not open yet here. I'm putting money on that this tranny will out last the engine. I done a few 25psi boost launches and it luvs it and wants more. The converter is perfect too. I got a 2000rpm stall TCS. For 2000 rpm stall shes pretty tight and works well down low unlike my other LOW STALL aftermarket TC. For 500rwhp truck, it should last a life time with proper maintenance.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:33 PM

Carl,
I built RJohnson's and Jim Fulmer's and many others as long ago as six years.
I feel confident I know what I am doing.
You told me it was cheaper to fly out of DFW, not more expensive.
I tried numerous times over multiple days to contact you to discuss electrical issues on your truck. I was not going to spend money on parts and labor with out your knowledge and consent. You did not call me back. You left a message after you picked your truck up at the airport that your phone was messed up, not off. Being sensitive to the fact you are in a wheelchair, I did not want you to arrive at airport and be stranded. So I returned your truck to the airport,feeling I had no choice.
I do not believe there is a mechanical issue with your truck. Your reported sympoms vary too much and are too inconsistent to be mechanical. Though, continued operation with issues could do damage.
If you recall, the one time we have talked since your return to OK was about a wrong gear start problem and I asked you to try simply shutting off engine and restarting and see if that helped. You called back and said it shifted fine after you did at that point.
I will call you at my earliest chance to discuss your truck. I appreciate your patience.
I still feel that DTT is the best choice, for both quality and customer service. I have installed most all the choices out there, and based on some 32 years of trans building I stick with DTT as the best total system for both durability and driveability.
I apologize to any members this offends. I won't discuss this issue on this venue further.
I will be in touch.
James

James
Old 05-17-2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by inarush76
Carl,
I built RJohnson's and Jim Fulmer's and many others as long ago as six years.
I feel confident I know what I am doing.

i have no doubt you Bill and John and can build with the best in the country, the trouble im having does not fit the dtt reputation at all

You told me it was cheaper to fly out of DFW, not more expensive.

i thought it might be, i can show reciepts?

I tried numerous times over multiple days to contact you to discuss electrical issues on your truck. I was not going to spend money on parts and labor with out your knowledge and consent. You did not call me back.

i recieved several calls in dc i believe one was from you after you picked up my truck and said it drove and tested fine

You left a message after you picked your truck up at the airport that your phone was messed up, not off.

good memory you are mostly correct, my phone was messed up, the lastnight in dc i dropped ph in a drink, i am not sure when you flew last but on our flight, phones were to be turned off for the duration of the flight, i did turn my phone on in dallas and tried to call you a couple of times. i found a cpl days later the only way to hear convo on ph is to use speaker function.

Being sensitive to the fact you are in a wheelchair, I did not want you to arrive at airport and be stranded. So I returned your truck to the airport,feeling I had no choice.

i appreciate that, but you and bill can drop the wchair stuff anytime im a customer just like anyone else

I do not believe there is a mechanical issue with your truck. Your reported sympoms vary too much and are too inconsistent to be mechanical. Though, continued operation with issues could do damage.

i think your right, i would have never believed it was electrical until the test drive when you told me to restart my truck

If you recall, the one time we have talked since your return to OK was about a wrong gear start problem and I asked you to try simply shutting off engine and restarting and see if that helped. You called back and said it shifted fine after you did at that point.

i went to test batteries and shift points, the truck was dragging like second gear starts, i would shift to first it was like putting it in neutral. just like you said after i shut it off and restarted it shifted fine

I will call you at my earliest chance to discuss your truck. I appreciate your patience.
I still feel that DTT is the best choice, for both quality and customer service. I have installed most all the choices out there, and based on some 32 years of trans building I stick with DTT as the best total system for both durability and driveability.
I apologize to any members this offends. I won't discuss this issue on this venue further.
I will be in touch.
James

James
thank you very much, i will be waiting for a call, id rather not discuss this any farther either, the hate mail from dtt fans is pouring in

Carl
Old 05-17-2006, 08:41 PM

I can personally vouch for DTT's wonderful customer service. Bill spent alot of time with me on the phone to fix a problem not even caused by thier parts. He even helped me after hours. Thanks again DTT.

Quick Reply: Expected life from one of DTTs auto?