Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust questions

my 96 still has a cat,but with 320,000 miles im really thinking its very restricted lately!!!it has a banks stinger kit with 4 inch muffler inlet,3.5 outlet and the head pipe is stock at three inches.rather than put a pipe in for cat,i really wanted 4 inces all the way to the turbo to muffler.all the head pipes i have saw are small at turbo housing until i saw the large elbow to 4 inch that banks makes..the year model isnt exactly right for me,but will this elbow and the 4 inch all the way to muffler help spool up,and more mods,and lower egts???seems like the spool up is MUCH SLOWER NOW!!it has always had 24 to 26 boost,and still does,but getting there is definitely slower,but the engine seems fine,great mileage,very little oil usage or smoke!!3000 gsk ordered from piers,and looking for 215 inj. soon.gonna dyno b4 any changes,ats vb,tripleloc,and emjay already installed!!any input on this will be MUCH APPRECIATED!! THANKS
Old 06-05-2004, 12:13 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
I realize that the saying exhaust only flow as much as the smallest opening but I guess that really doesnt apply in this case. The turbo needs a certain size exit to acheive a certail level of performance of boost. Larger housing means more air volume not necessarily more boost. But it does mean slower spooling. Thats why the autos have a smaller housing. To get to boost faster for the torque convertor. So if I'm answering you question right, any exhaust system you get to open the flow will increase the spooling speed and EGT's. Actually the 3.5" to 4" might be better for your total performance giving your fueling level. To big of an exhaust can decrease low end power. Hope this helped.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by KATOOM
So if I'm answering you question right, any exhaust system you get to open the flow will increase the spooling speed and EGT's.
Sorry, meant to say increase spooling and lower EGT's.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:29 AM

thanks for the info!!i guess i was wondering if a big elbow was worth the money/hassle and the benefits/drawbacks of experience with this.my main problem is likely more due to a restricted cat..if this is a good mod[big elbow]who makes them besides banks,and willthe 98 stuff probably fit,less cat,they just dont want to list it for my app.because of the cat epa stuff????
Old 06-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The power elbow will work on your truck, it replaces the stock backplate on the turbine housing. Many companies don't list the 12 valve trucks because of the legalities involved in telling somebody to remove the cat, but the exhausts are the same from '94 to '02. I don't think this part is worth the money. If you've modified a truck to the point where the stock elbow is a major restriction, then you should be looking at an HX-40 or a B1 anyhow. www.bigexhaust.com offers their system in parts so you can replace the stock stuff and leave the Banks kit in place.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:35 PM

if i change to a 4 inch turbo elbow,or leave the present one and put on a 4 inch pipe less cat,to muffler[banks 4inch inlet from stinger kit]am i likely to create a drone??does the cat act kinda like a resonator in this situation,or has anyone ran into this???how long is a cat really supposed to live[w/320,000 miles,isnt it time for its 9 lives to be up??]thanks for the info
Old 06-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you leave the muffler on it will stay quiet. The guys complaining about drone are running straight piped.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:00 PM

I dont know whats inside a CAT from a diesel but a stock muffler is not a straight through design where as a resonator (which comes on the 24v trucks) is a straight throught design. Basically just a short muffler. People are finding out the the resontating comes from the vibrations of the exhaust pipe. By running 4" with a straight through muffler, so I hear you will have no resonating. If I was you and your looking for a new exhaust setup I would loose the CAT (legal or not) since who really knows anyway and whos going to look? Maybe just keep it hanging around the garage incase you feel it necessary later.