Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Question

My truck is a 1997 3/4 ton 2WD - 12 valve with auto. trans. It puts out 180HP and 420 ft lbs of torque. It's basically stock except that I have added a trans. temp guage and use a K&N Air Filter. I also tow a fairly heavy 5th wheel but never exceed the GCVWR of 16,000 lbs. My question is this: I've read where performance or at least HP can be increased by installing a 4" exhaust system. Where I live that's about a $500 bill. So I'd like to get a point of view from others who have done this. Is there a noticeable increase in performance with this size system?
Somebody said to me when I told them about the K&N - It's great to get more air in, but you have to get it out as well. Some disagree with the use of a K&N, but friends have had good results. Right now, I'm more interested in the affects of the exhaust system upgrade. So any recommendations/comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 08:24 PM

I have a 4in exhaust on mine. I didn't notice an increase in performance. I heard the bigger exhaust helps out more when you have more power. It will help your EGTs and possibly your mileage. I got mine from Source Automotive. I believe the address is www.sourceautomotive.com If you want more power, get some gauges, a fuel plate or injectors, and of course some tranny upgrades.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey DennisB
I can tell you from experience that a 4" exhaust on a stock truck will net you very little.
Now if you plan on other mods then yes you need to do the exhaust. If your here in the GVRD and have to deal with air care then this wont help you, but killing the kitty and putting a less restrictive muffler (most just straight pipe) will get you the same improvements a full 4" will in stock trim. I would spend the money you save on a govener spring kit you will be amazed at the difference for towwing.. Get a BHAF instead of the K&N for a airfilter. Check out PDR in Langley they are a good group of guys and will set you up with what you need.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Banned

Dennis,
We sell lots of 4" systems, and all of them tell us that you will net a little more power and performance, but also you will get a little MPG. I do agree with the thought of adding more mods to your truck and how the 4" will really help especially then.

I would suggest you read up on the AFE air filters and also the AFE air intake systems. Advanced Flow Engineering manufactures the best diesel air filter and air intake out there. The Pro Guard 7 filter was specially designed for our diesel trucks to filter out all the unwanted particles even in the dirty construction lots that some of our trucks seem to work in the most.

We stock many performance parts and we also ship to Canada. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with at anytime, and have fun installing the new parts and driving your power house!
Old 01-29-2006, 09:32 PM

Factory exhaust with out the constricting convertor and a free flowing muffler of some sorts will be fine up to 350 /400 hp. So unless you are wanting to go higher then I would wait until you need to replace the factory when it rots, then go 4in. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 01-29-2006, 10:02 PM

DennisB,
I didn't notice a power increase from stock to when I put on 4" exhaust and K&N intake on my 97, but I did notice a increase in MPGs. I averaged about 18.5mpg unloaded 60mph, up to an average of 19.5-20.5mpg consistantly after the exhaust and intake with the same type of driving. Just something to consider, Tim.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
unless you plan on mods save your coin 3" is fine on you truck .there are free things you can do to make power
Old 01-29-2006, 11:36 PM

i just added mbrp 4" exhaust system to my 2002 dodge. Really didnt noticed much hp increase, and not sure about mileage. Truck also really isnt any louder in cab, very slight outside. But as others have said, its a ""start"" and needed to lower egt's.
a scotty and chip are my next mods.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:54 AM

4" exhaust

DennisB,

I just added a 4" MBRP 4" Heavy Duty Aluminized Exhaust System, (http://www.smokindiesel.com/Exhaust.htm) over the weekend. My truck is stock, I noticed very little improvement, maybe a little more power but hard to notice. A little louder at cruising speed, but the same noise at idle. I plan on putting a 3gsk on in a month or so with some gauges.

Note: if you go with this exhause there is a $25 hanger kit you will need since the exhause is designed for the 98 model year and up. Otherwise you will have to fabricate the last hanger on the exhaust.

Good Luck