Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust question

Since I decide I'm keeping my truck, I want to change the exhaust, Right now it's 3&quot; to 2 2and half for the dual look. I hate it! How do you get a 4&quot; exhaust on it ? It looks like it's 3&quot;<br>right out of the turbo. and how loud is it ? I'd like to rumble but but I don't want wake the dead.<br>thanks
Old 12-18-2002, 10:07 PM

Re:exhaust question

I have the Banks Monster exhuast and it necks up from the turbo outlet to 4&quot; pipe. Easy to install.<br>I like it, much deeper sound to it and it's a just little louder in the cab. ;D
Old 12-19-2002, 12:14 AM

wake the dead Thats kinda funny to me because I live next to a cemetary. I hope I don't get any complaints about the people trying to rest.
Heres an Idea. Go with the 5&quot; chrome stacks the are SWEET
DM01
Old 12-19-2002, 05:56 PM

I'd love to go with a stack but I got a tool box back there.<br>And I hope for your sake the cementary stay nice a quiet.<br>wouldn't want ghools takinn your rig out.<br>would a 3&quot; straight pipe be loud and would it offer any performance advantage?
Old 12-19-2002, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got a stock &quot;looking&quot; exhaust. <br>However, I have gutted the cat and for a while, I ran with the cat still on but no muffler. <br>It was loud. I didnt mind it in the cab. It wasnt so loud that conversation was impaired.<br>But it was loud enough to turn heads on the sidewalks as I drove by.<br>This fact alone got me thinking, if its loud enough to make people look at me as I drive by, then the cops will also &quot;look&quot; at me as I drive by. <br>This, I didnt want.<br>So, the cat is still gutted and in place, but I put the muffler back on to reduce the &quot;looks&quot; from the police.<br><br>Going to a larger pipe and running it strait should lower the tone but not the db's.<br><br>There are some nice sound mufflers out there for 4&quot; pipes. May want to consider going 4&quot; exhaust with a nice sounding muffler. (?)<br><br>Rich<br>
Old 12-19-2002, 06:43 PM

[quote author=92RamCTD link=board=7;threadid=8514;start=0#82510 date=1040342186]<br>I'd love to go with a stack but I got a tool box back there.<br>And I hope for your sake the cementary stay nice a quiet.<br>wouldn't want ghools takinn your rig out.<br>would a 3&quot; straight pipe be loud and would it offer any performance advantage?<br>[/quote]<br>I straight piped my 93 reg cab auto and with the windowa all the way up I can't tell a difference. don't get me wrong it is loud but It has never bothered me at all. Evern with the windows down I can carry on a conversation with out saying what, who, or speak up. I like it. I think with a 4&quot; exhaust it would sound great.<br>DM01 <br><br>P/S I hav a toolbox and stacks. I pull gooseneck drags all the time. never hit the box or stacks yet.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:49 PM

Check out the ATS exhaust, it is all stainless and sounds looks really good!!

Trending Topics

Old 12-20-2002, 09:55 AM

Does anyone make a 4&quot; downpipe for the 1st Gens??<br>I am assuming (Theres that word) that you want to put this on the truck in your sig.<br>I am also interested in 4&quot; exhaust.<br>The stock exhaust came apart after the downpipe this week.<br>Love the extra power &quot;WOW&quot;. After tying the pipe up out of the way I had to pull over again to be sure I hadn't lost my load. More boost and lower EGT's but talk about loud.<br>Anyway, there is no way I am going back to stock.<br>How much clearance do you need around the stacks??<br>I don't want to start a fire inside my sleeper.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:45 PM

stacks get got bit not that hot. If you leave a inch or two you should be fine. I have a set of wips that are plastic lined and I have never had the melt against the stacks.<br>DM01
Old 12-21-2002, 12:45 AM

I have the ATS 4&quot; dual exhaust on my Christmas list. Has anyone put this on their truck? Would there be any difference in the sound between the dual or the single 4&quot; exhaust. Looks pretty sweet. I want it!
Old 12-21-2002, 08:28 AM

Check out www.smokindiesel.com. They have Bully Dog products and great guys to work with. Actually they're the most honest and have very competitive prices. I know Bully Dog makes a catback 4&quot; exhaust, but they may have something else.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:08 AM

[quote author=92RamCTD link=board=7;threadid=8514;start=0#82130 date=1040265240]<br>Since I decide I'm keeping my truck, I want to change the exhaust, Right now it's 3&quot; to 2 2and half for the dual look. I hate it! How do you get a 4&quot; exhaust on it ? It looks like it's 3&quot;<br>right out of the turbo. and how loud is it ? I'd like to rumble but but I don't want wake the dead.<br>thanks<br>[/quote]<br><br>On the 1st Gen. CTD's I don't think a straightpipe is as noticeable as on the 2nd Gen's. We have a few of 'ol 1st Gen's still running around being used on the farms here and 1 or 2 are straightpiped. They sound good, but my 97 drown's 'em out! I'm still 19 so the noise doesn't bother me (I welcome it as long as I can control it for the few PD's who aren't my buddies). I can't wait till I get stacks like DodgeMan01 though! 5&quot; Bull Haulers are gonna make some noise.<br><br>But if your worried about attracting to much attention with a 3&quot; straightpipe I wouldn't. I don't think you'll get in trouble over it.