Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

exhaust brake recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question exhaust brake recomendation

Which exhaust brake would you guys recomend. I have heard of Jacobs, Pac, BD, Banks. Any others? Which one is the best, or are they all pretty compareable. Also what are the advantages and disadvantages between brands. I want one that mounts right to the turbo, not down on the pipe, Will I have to do anthing to my downpipe or will it just mount in place of the elbow?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Jacobs exhaust brake replaces the cast elbow at the turbocharger's turbine discharge. My Jacobs has been a good, trouble free unit.

The main downside of a turbo mount brake like the Jacobs is that you're stuck with an HX35-type turbocharger (you say you have a manual transmission - an automatic is a whole different matter!!) which restricts your ability to go up in turbo size if you ever BOMB the engine.

Rusty
Old 09-13-2004, 01:51 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Pacbrake has some good choices, I would check them out.

Scotty
Old 09-13-2004, 02:08 PM

I like my Jake, it's been trouble free. It's vacuum on, spring off, and controlled via the ECM to allow you to shift.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:59 PM

I have the PacBrake. After almost two years on the truck, the actuator cylinder went out. It has a two year warranty so the replacement parts were free. If I had it to do again, I'd go with the Banks brake. The computer controller they have is worth the extra money alone. Check out the Banks brake site and itll tell all about it. My PackBrake keeps me busy turning it on and off when there should be a computer or controller doing that!
Old 09-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the Jacobs and use a hybrid turbo with 42 pounds boost.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:50 PM

Zero problems with my BD after 2 years.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:55 PM

3 years and my pacbrake is used daily i love. ive heard about wireing it up for the ecm so you can use your cruise
Old 09-13-2004, 11:44 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally posted by rattle_rattle
I have the PacBrake. After almost two years on the truck, the actuator cylinder went out. It has a two year warranty so the replacement parts were free. If I had it to do again, I'd go with the Banks brake. The computer controller they have is worth the extra money alone. Check out the Banks brake site and itll tell all about it. My PackBrake keeps me busy turning it on and off when there should be a computer or controller doing that!
Not really sure what you mean by keeps you busy and there should be a computer controller? Dont you have your Pac hooked in the ECM? If so it does all the work, all you do is make sure its turned on. Is there some new mind reading exhaust brake gadget that Banks has come out with?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by KATOOM
Not really sure what you mean by keeps you busy and there should be a computer controller? Dont you have your Pac hooked in the ECM? If so it does all the work, all you do is make sure its turned on. Is there some new mind reading exhaust brake gadget that Banks has come out with?
I have the PacBrake hooked up to pin-20 of the ECM. It engages the brake when the APPS is at zero for 3 seconds. In other words, when you take your foot off the go pedal, after 3-seconds, the brake will engage. This works great for up-shifting. I like the built-in delay. Other than the enable switch, that's all there is to controlling the PacBrake. What I mean about being busy is when I come to a stop sign, I have to switch off the brake or it sits there idling with the brake engaged. After getting started again, I have to remember to turn the brake back on.

The Banks brake has some features I like.

It monitors the water temperature so that when it cold outside, the brake is engaged to assist in warming up the engine. When the water temperature gets up to 150 degrees, the brake shuts off.

It also has the three-second delay as the as described above about the PacBrake.

It also monitors the vehicle speed and disengages the brake after slowing to 25MPH. If the water temperature is up to 150 degrees, you don't have to sit at a stop light idling with the brake engaged. You don't have to turn it off and on.

The other thing is the 4" elbow. the PacBrake is 3.5".
Old 09-14-2004, 07:55 PM

I've got the Jacobs Brake from Mopar.

So far I like it! But after reading what Rattle Rattle said about the Banks... I'm sold on it...

Don't get me wrong but the Mopar version of the Jacobs is simple and to the point. The switch is mounted in a bad spot and can see if it on or off. I'm kinda used to the clutch pedal cancelling the jake than the 3 second wait but I like it!
Old 09-14-2004, 11:08 PM

ive got micro switches like big trucks do on my clutch and throttle pedals so my brake disengauges when one or the other is applied
Old 09-14-2004, 11:19 PM

yet another option - the US GEAR D-Celerator........available for 4 inch exhast too, so its good for guys with bombed trucks or for those that plan to bomb in the future:

http://www.usgear.com/dcelerator.htm

Ive got a Jake, but the D-Celerator is probably the best option, IMO.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:05 AM

I have a D-Celerator in my office ready to go on, maybe this weekend.

I'll let you know how I like it later, but it was the only one I considered. And I found a brand new one on E-bay for $720 shipped!! In the box and shrinkwrapped still!

I think someone got hosed in that deal

Chris
Old 09-15-2004, 06:15 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally posted by rattle_rattle
I have the PacBrake hooked up to pin-20 of the ECM. It engages the brake when the APPS is at zero for 3 seconds. In other words, when you take your foot off the go pedal, after 3-seconds, the brake will engage. This works great for up-shifting. I like the built-in delay. Other than the enable switch, that's all there is to controlling the PacBrake. What I mean about being busy is when I come to a stop sign, I have to switch off the brake or it sits there idling with the brake engaged. After getting started again, I have to remember to turn the brake back on.

The Banks brake has some features I like.

It monitors the water temperature so that when it cold outside, the brake is engaged to assist in warming up the engine. When the water temperature gets up to 150 degrees, the brake shuts off.

It also has the three-second delay as the as described above about the PacBrake.

It also monitors the vehicle speed and disengages the brake after slowing to 25MPH. If the water temperature is up to 150 degrees, you don't have to sit at a stop light idling with the brake engaged. You don't have to turn it off and on.

The other thing is the 4" elbow. the PacBrake is 3.5".

Just curoius but why do you bother shuting it off at a stop light let alone a stop sign? It does nothing to leave it on. And if I feel the need to shut it down for a second or when I plan on stopping, the switch is right at my finger tip mounted on the shifter. I dont really see where it gets much easier than that. The feature I do like that you mentioned is the water temp warm up to 150*. The Pacs for the 3rd gens offer that. Ihave to say I dont like the auto shut off at 25 mph, because I still am using mine under that speed just to slow empty and I have gone down some steep hills with a heavy trailer in 2nd. Thats would be under 25 mph. Oh yea, forgot to mention, you delay seems like a long time. I have checked mine several times and 1.5 to 2 seconds max.

Quick Reply: exhaust brake recomendation