Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Exhaust Brake Qeusetions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Brake Qeusetions

OK, I have narrowed it down to two or three models. Which would you guys go with: US Gear DeCelerator 4", Banks, or BD. I DO NOT WANT A PAC OR JACOBS, as I think these are "inferior". I just thik the wastegate on the US Gear is the best way of holding pressure. Also, Does anyone know how the new Banks hold pressure, I heard they no longer have holes drilled in them like PAC's.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-02-2004, 01:37 PM

I had a BD turbo mount brake and was quite happy with it - never had any problems and it had a lot of holding pressure... i would buy one again (had to take it off due to twins)
Old 02-02-2004, 03:28 PM

I am happy with the US Gear and based on what I have seen I would probably buy it again.

The US Gear is mounted farther down the pipe - underneath the truck and is electrically controlled. If corrosion caused by salt on the road is an issue where you live that may be a consideration.

Good luck,

George
Old 02-02-2004, 07:14 PM

BD is on mine. Used each and everyday and have never had a problem in almost 2 years of use. Excellant holding power, easy to adjust (if needed), you can run a stock down pipe ( I have 4" exhaust) Great unit!

Have a few buddies that run them and they have nothad any problems (yet anyways)

Jeff
Old 02-02-2004, 10:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've had a B-D for eight years and have had it stick open in inopportune situations several times. No fun when you're pulling 28k pounds of apples.
Banks claims their brake is stick proof, if I had to buy one tomorrow it would be Banks.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:21 PM
DJ

The only things I don't like about the US Gear are the clank it makes when applying, and the fact it is completly closed at idle. I usually use it manually. Other than that I like it. I get compression all the way down to idle, I hardly have to use my brakes on the highway. There is a 17 % 1 mile grade on the way home with a 35 mph speed limit and it will hold it to 40 in 4th without using the brakes.(empty) With the camper on I have to use the brakes a little. When I sell the truck I'll just reinstall the piece of pipe I cut out and take it with me.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:50 AM

Does the US Gear have to be mounted under the truck, or can it be mounted in the downpipe? That is my only other consideration.

Thanks Again,
Chris
Old 02-03-2004, 11:19 AM
DJ

The instructions say to mount it in a straight section of pipe, seems like 8 or 10 inche long cutout. I don't remember anything about where in the exhaust system. You might call DIS in Texas and ask them. Check their price too, it was the best I found. One other thing, it said something in the instructions about taking something apart and lubing every 2 years. I've only had mine about 8 months so haven't looked into that much.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess I better go take my non-sticking non-clanking not closed at idle inferior no goofy control wires on the brake pedal been in service for over four years now never had a problem with it in 124000 miles holds back 26000 pounds on a six mile grade recommended by Cummins for warranty issues Jacobs off my truck now and put one of these others on it.

My sons truck has the rattling clanking hinge rivets are loose brand X brake on his and it's not a Jacobs.

Sorry, had to do it.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:10 PM

DD4x4,

No offense intended but what I have drove of the PAC's is that it doesn't work hardly at all with 3.55 gears. I have not drove a Jacobs but I just don't think I like the way they mount. Sorry.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problem, I was merely intending to let everyone know that the Jacobs is a good brake. I prefer the way it mounts, at least on the 99's, and installation was very simple with no welding, grinding, burning, or anything like that. On the 99, you just pull off the back plate on the turbo and replace it with the Jacobs brake and a new gasket and bolt the down pipe right back up. Very simple install except for tieing the control wire into the ECM. Even that wasn't too bad. Cummins wanted $400 to install when I did mine and I said no thanks. My son and I installed it in four hours and the hardest part was deciding where to put the master kill switch. My son has the other one on his truck and it rattles and clanks and would drive me crazy.
Unless they've changed it a lot, it is a very good brake is the bottom line.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:21 PM

To install the de- celerator you will need to cut the exhaust in a straight section for the brake to fit. It is inline so it is best for it to be in a straight section. I have been using mine for 5 years. I don't want to ever tow without it. And it does work down to 1200 RPM. As a matter of fact, I'm starting a new shop and called US Gear about the dealership here. I don't want to handle any other brake. So now I will.

..Preston..
Old 02-06-2004, 12:15 AM

Hi! I'm new to this site. I've just ordered a Pac brake for my truck and was wondering what was wrong with them before I put it on and couldn't send it back! Also I was wondering how much the Banks brake was? Any help would be appreciated. I'm hauling up to 30000lbs. of nursery stock I need to be able to stop for scales! I guess not being able to stop has saved me alot of money in fines!
Old 02-06-2004, 01:04 AM

Re: Exhaust Brake Qeusetions

Originally posted by signature600
I DO NOT WANT A PAC OR JACOBS, as I think these are "inferior".
Thanks,
Chris
Chris, Im curious as to why youd say the Jacobs is "inferior"??? Please elaborate....I believe they were the first to introduce exhaust breaks for the pickups.....
Old 02-06-2004, 05:08 AM

I have never liked the brake hanging on the back of the turbo. We all know how hot the turbo can get. Some engineers say at temp you could see through the housing. There has to be some restriction with the connection from brake to housing.

Plus I read where someone doen not like the US Gear brake stopping with the exhaust closed. On mine that's what the button's for. I energize the brake when I need stopping power and when I stop, press the button and shut it off. On start up it will cycle twice to let you know the systems working and give other folks time to say,"what was that"? I am very serious about this. I can't say enough good things about the de-celerator. It has saved me more than, I guess, more times than i cae to know.

Other brakes are made very well, I just don't like it on the turbo elbow.

..Preston..

Quick Reply: Exhaust Brake Qeusetions