Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Exhaust brake - leak around turbo elbow

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exhaust brake - leak around turbo elbow

I just finished installing the inline BD brake. The system worked well, I used partly my own components to set it up the way I liked. In testing, I noticed that when the brake is on, there is a bit of a leak of pressure from under v-clamp that connects turbo elbow to the turbo flange.
How did you guys fix that? The clamp is torqued more than it should be already.
Thanks!
-P
Old 03-28-2008, 11:39 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You mean were the exhaust pipe bolts too the back of the exhaust elbow? or the part were the turbo bolts too the elbow it self? Mine is leaking on the down pipe too the back of the elbow and I think I got mine figure out that I can't get the proper torque so I will re torque and see what happens. If your talking about the turbo too elbow you might have missed or nicked the gasket when reinstalling and its causing blow by.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The actual 5-bolt flange did not come off the turbo, but the elbow did. I think there is no leak where the down pipe attaches to the elbow (2 bolts on a sliding flange), but there is a bit of a leak where the cast iron elbow with square flange attaches to the 5-bolt turbo backing (that connection uses a V-clamp).