Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

exhaust brake

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust brake

Hey yall, been awhile since I was on here. I am asking this question from Iraq. We are doing good things that you all never get to see because of all the negativity. Anyways I was wondering what type of exhaust brake works the best? I have a Jacobs exhaust brake and I am going to put on a quick spool from Rod. He recommends the US gear for the 4 inch exhaust and I was wondering if anyone has that type of brake? Also, if you dont, what type are you running and how does it work. Rod doesnt sell US gear but he said that is the one. Any comments? I do know that pac brake makes one that goes inline, are these any better than the ones that mount to the turbo? Thanks for all your help. The money that I am saving up needs to do towards the truck.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:33 AM

No experience w/ the US gear unit, but if I had to buy one, I'd definitely get it! I have the Banks turbo mount exh brake, and love it.

I also wanted to add that we all appreciate what yer doin over there, and to keep fighting the good fight.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:06 PM

I two have the Banks Brake & it is one of the best things I put on my truck. I live in Oregon & pull a 12,000lb 5vr up & over the mts. & hardly ever have to touch my brakes.

The very best to you & all those that are putting their lives on the line for a better Iraq & a better world.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:30 PM

Don't know about the exhaust brake but my heart and prayers are with all of you.

SSG USA (Ret)
1971-1991
Old 06-13-2004, 06:28 PM
CJ

ridofpwrstroke, no brake yet but I do want to say keep up the good work you have alot of support back home. CJ
Old 06-13-2004, 10:19 PM

just wanted to thank and god bless everyone over there
Old 06-13-2004, 10:24 PM

I want to join with these gentlemen in saying thanks and all of you are in my prayers.

The E brake debate has many sides. I have a Pac Brake that mounts to the turbo and love it! I've never tried any other ones so I can't comment on them.

A question. If you get a 4" turbo back would you be able to use the turbo mount?
Also how much is the Banks brake?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:15 AM

Hey, thanks for all the support. Just to give a good story to you, my dad retired from John Deere last year and got a relaxing job making water cooled boat headers for the top racers. Doesnt sound like much but a set of these header goes upwards of 20 grand. Anyway, the army has a very good set of binos and the set we had got destroyed. Their replacement was a set of really crappy binos that were about 50 bucks. So we all could of paid probably 20 for them. They suck bad. I asked my dad for a set and he found a really good pair that were compact and very clear. Well he told his boss this and he said to take them back and the company would buy some, this was the least they could do he said. In the mail I get a set of leupould binos that are freakin awesome. Dad said they cost about 550 bucks. That is what makes me proud to be an American. Someone whom I have never met purchases me these binos for my squad. That is a great feeling.

Now to the question. I have the stock HX 35 on my truck. If you look at my sig you will see what I have. After talking to Rod at wildcat, he recommends the KSB1. That is a four inch outlet. My existing jacobs will obviously not work. So what I am asking is what is the best 4 inch exhaust brake that everyone is using? Is the exhaust brake that mounts to your turbo better than the one that is in the exhaust pipe? These are the questions I have and I thank everyone for you support. It really means alot folks.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:55 AM

I have a US Gear 4" wastegates unit on my office floor ready to go in, after I get the 60lb valve springs in. From what i've heard, that is the best brake out there. I have talked with several people who have them, and have had other breakes, and say that this one is much better. They say they will hold braking power all the way to 1200 RPM, and I believe it, as it is a wastegate design, not a butterfly witha hole in it, it will hold a constant 30 or 60 lbs of backpressure.

Also, it is a very heavy unit, and uses all stainless shafts (I think). With consistent use, they can go years without needing cleaned. The only downside to them is they are a little noisy while they are engaging, but I would rather know it is working than try to use it decending a hill and have a runaway on my hands.

Also, PM member turbothom with any questions you have about the unit, he has had one for years, and was very helpful in my making a decision. He also sells them if you decide that you need one after talking to him.

Hope this Helps, and thanks for what your doing over there!
Chris
Old 06-24-2004, 08:33 PM

hey there i'm also looking into an exhaust brake and have a few ??'s To run the US exhaust brake you have to have a larger turbo right? And what are the prices on these? Also what about the sound it makes, i've got 5"stacks w/no resonator or cat ao i was wondering what kind of noise it will make?? Thanks guys, and best wishes to all military abroad!!