Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Exhaust: Aluminized VS Stainless Steel

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 years on my aluminized and the only rust on it is from the nuts on the hangers. Unless you live in an area where they use road salt, I'd get the aluminized. It'll out last the truck. Heck, I've had mine in the ocean before and it's still doing fine.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of road salt here. Im assuming the rust will strike once the ceramic coating is nicked by rocks and such. Is there really a lifetime warranty on these? So I could try the aluminized system and if it really didnt hold up I could upgrade to the stainless 304?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by HP Upgrades
Like earlier mentioned, 409 is just about what comes on the truck from the factory, it still has iron in the mixture, thats where the rust will attack...I mean attach. A 304 system is entirely nickel and chromium...NO IRON which means no rust. With the exception of the welded hangers a 304 system will most likely last forever, that is why they can offer a lifetime warranty. The 409 (5 year warranty on the average)is the all around best value for the money.
MBRP has also doubled the warranty on the 409, it is now 10 years not 5 as stated. Below is a copy of the memo I received from MBRP.

"Effective immediately MBRPinc has doubled the warranty that it offers on XP Series (T409) exhaust systems to an industry leading ten (10) years.

The extension of the warranty period on this series is not just attractive from a marketing perspective, but is fully supported based on claims experience over the past years. We have found that due to improved welding techniques, improved alloy quality and the general robustness of the product, the number of claims have been very low. In fact, there have been no incidents where we have received product back with rust through.

This record underscores the significant advantage that XP Series offers over aluminized product. For an average additional 35% cost, end users receive ten times the warranty protection. From a durability perspective T409 over is vastly superior to aluminized and is absolutely vital for customers who are operating in anything other than the driest and most salt free environment.

All other aspects of our warranty policy remain unchanged. The warranty applies against rust through, defects in material and workmanship to the original purchaser on record. The extended period applies to all systems purchased from July 1, 2006 onward.

It is important to ensure that the purchaser is aware that T409 stainless steel will show surface oxidization. If a total rust-free system is desired (i.e. for a show vehicle) serious consideration should be given to our Pro Series T304 systems."
Old 07-26-2006, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
MBRP has also doubled the warranty on the 409, it is now 10 years not 5 as stated. Below is a copy of the memo I received from MBRP.

The extended period applies to all systems purchased from July 1, 2006 onward.

If a total rust-free system is desired (i.e. for a show vehicle) serious consideration should be given to our Pro Series T304 systems."

Great, I bought mine June, 2005.