Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Exaust brake

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exaust brake

How much do they help. Are they comparable to a Jake on a truck. Which brand is the best BD, Pacbrake, or Jake.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:37 AM
Registered

Mine is a jacobs brand. it helps, but not like a jake on a big rig would. It's a compleatly different unit.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:38 AM

An exhaust brake is unlike an engine brake, it will be more then enough to slow your truck and trailer down. As for who's is better, I'm going to let the public report on this, because you know what I'm going to say, and what Pat at BD is going to say.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Ben

I ran a BD turbo mount for a few years and loved it. It saved my butt a few times while in the mountains.

My only recommendation is to get an inline brake instead of a turbo mount. That way you are not shooting yourself in the foot by limiting your turbo options as you would with a turbo mounted brake.

Good luck. I wish i still had mine.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:43 PM

I have been doing research on the brakes and I'm gonna go with the BD. But the PRXB by Pacbrake is also a good choice. I would skip the Jake, read some complaints on this forum about them.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I won't run a truck without a exhaust brake after having one, world of difference if you tow heavy. I hardly use my service brakes. My brake is also a Jacobs brand 4" off of a 04.5 up Dodge ram, turbo mounted. My brother has a Pacbrake & it works a little better than my Jacobs.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Banned

Has anyone tried the D-Celerator? These really look a lot more refined than my pacbrake. They use a popoff or wastegate to control how much back pressure is held. They say, that they also maintain the same braking force over a wider rpm range with that type setup. My pacbrake just runs all the exhaust through a small hole and you have to keep the rpms up if you want maximum braking. I found D-Celerator on the web and just wondered if anyone had tried them on here. J Lent I agree about the non turbo mounted style, my HTT turbo made my brake sit in the closet. I hope to put it on the 93 soon though.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the PRXB pac/brake I have differant e brakes on my trucks and the two best stopping brakes are US gear and Pac brake the pac brake has a much better electrical system . Both US gear and pac use a waist gate to maintane pressure at low RPM and they hold better all the way down to idle
Old 02-07-2008, 11:13 PM

I have installed many BD brakes, including my in-line, and they have all held back better than all other brands I've tested. They hold back right down to idle as well and no one I know has had any problems with theirs. Almost everyone I know here that has a cummins has an exhaust brake due to our steep terrain and the guys that don't have a BD admit they're better and wish they had one after trying it on another truck. My 2-bits.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:34 AM

Not to hijack or anything but since your on the subject, would an exhaust brake work on a truck that had twin turbos? not that I have twins but maybe someday if im lucky.

What about the banks? I know I'll probably get shot for mentioning that name around here lol.

Harold on the PRXB what exactly is the pointof relieving the pressure at lower rpm? Wouldn't that make it not brake as good at lower rpm? The BD and banks ones dont do that do they?

Sorry not trying to hijack just thought the more questions about them in here the more informative it would be to alll of us. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Ben

Also dont use them on bad roads........

The rear end will come around on you quick......
Old 02-08-2008, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ben
Also dont use them on bad roads........

The rear end will come around on you quick......
You know from experience?

Hows the compressors and air systems for the BD and Pacbrake. Which one is better, if either. Can you run much with them ( if you had a bigger tank). Or are they just an expensive tire inflater. Hows the install time, half day or so?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:33 AM

With a standard fixed orifice brake (BD, Banks, Jake/Mopar and the Original Pacbrake) as your RPM’s start to drop below 1800 the retarding performance fades away due to the hole in the butterfly or set angle not changing. With the Pacbrake PRXB we still have the hole in the butterfly plate but now we have a mechanical arm and plate that shuttles the orifice diameter down to maintain the constant maximum backpressure right down to 1200PRM’s. This provides higher backpressure in the lower RPMS with longer retarding duration then the competitors.

Our compressor will pump to 125 PSI (it’s not going to inflate a 33” tire) but will work with smaller tires and accessories. For those who require more air for things such as air tools we have optional pumps that are 100% duty cycle and will inflate our 5 gal tank for what ever your needs might be.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by fattymak
You know from experience?

Hows the compressors and air systems for the BD and Pacbrake. Which one is better, if either. Can you run much with them ( if you had a bigger tank). Or are they just an expensive tire inflater. Hows the install time, half day or so?
BD uses the vacuum systems that is already on these trucks. You just 'T' into the main vacuum line and thats it. Everything you need is in the kit and it sells for $1050.00. Not sure what the price is on other brands.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Harold-Pacbrake
With the Pacbrake PRXB we still have the hole in the butterfly plate .
What size hole is in the plate on your brake? I know my brothers Pacbrake feels like it holds a little better than my Jacobs even at higher rpms. I think it is due to the hole size.

Quick Reply: Exaust brake