Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Espar install

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Espar install

Hello all, I just purchased an Espar CA232522 kit. I was just wondering were the best spot to install it would be in my 02 2500 ext cab. Any one who has an espar or has installed one that has any tips would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas at all on coolant and fuel line routing too.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:52 PM

Check the ESPAR webste - you can download the manual (if you dont have one).
Old 11-18-2007, 09:15 PM

I do have the Espar info, just thought someone might have some info or ideas more specific to dodge trucks.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:12 PM

Check to see if you have room between the front driveshaft and the frame rail at the front of the cab. Thats where I mounted mine. The hoses provided was just long enough to reach the back of the engine/heater core. I made a sheild out of stainless to keep road debris from taking it out. I ran my fuel lines through the stock steel lines, as they were just sitting there.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:55 PM

I looked around and decided to mount it by the transfer case cross member. Did you just splice into the one heater line coming off of the head, going to the espar and returning back to the heater core? I searched around and found on top of the fuel tank a stem that has a rubber cap over it. Does anyone know if this is an auxillary fuel stem/tube that I can use to get fuel off of for the espar?
Old 11-22-2007, 04:15 PM

Yep, you have a secondary draw tube in the tank.

The way I spliced the lines is that it draws cold coolant out of the heater core and puts the hot coolant into the engine. I wanted a warm engine more than I wanted a warm cab. Still defrosts the windows well though.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:29 AM

Thanks for your info Tate, got it installed. Works really well. No more cold starts!
Old 11-23-2007, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id love to get one of these or a webasto, but theyre pretty darn expensive.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:19 AM

I am going to be installing my heater over the holidays and need to get a list together of the things I need. I got all the wiring just need to get the coolant lines and connectors and what ever I need to splice into the fuel lines. Just wondering what size of coolant hose I will need and a y-connecter or how are you guys splicing into the coolant lines. Also were are guys getting the fuel from? The secondary line or right from the fuel line?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:37 AM

My experiences with a Westabo TSL-17

I wish I had been smart and used the secondary draw... .

In any event, I mounted mine (a Webasto) just behind the transfer case on the driver's side. I routed the fuel hose zip-tied to the metal fuel hoses, and the coolant hoses the same.

My Webasto's installation manual shows a figure that indicates it should be installed parallel with the heater core, and connected such that when the engine is running, the webasto pumps with the engine, not against (forms a "circle" if you will). This does have the odd effect that if the Webasto is running and the engine is running at only an idle, you don't get heat from the heater core. I can't speak for the Espar, as they may pump at different rates, etc. I have found it provides plenty of heat to the engine and heater core. With 5 kW of heat output, it doesn't take very long for everything to be warmed up! ... In fact, I left the heater on high, with the fan at 3/4 and Webasto on when my girlfriend had to sit in the truck for 20 minutes while I did some shovelling... came back, and she was complaining about being too hot.

Cost... "professionally" installed, it is supposed to be around $2k. I managed to score a deal on my heater for and almost everything needed to install it (minus some coolant lines and fittings, stuff that is specific to given installs, etc.) - $750. When I get a chance, I'll fashion up a timer, because I didn't feel like paying $300 for an on/off timer!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:54 AM

Do you know what size the coolant lines are I would like to pick some up today but I dont have my truck with me.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:20 PM

I need to know this also. For some reason I want to say the heater hoses are 3/4".
I will be doing my install on my Espar D5 hopefully this weekend.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:33 PM

Heater hoses are 3/4" or 19mm. My generic D5 kit came with enough hose for my setup. The hose out of the head and directly into the heater core is from engine to core, and the other one is obviously the core to engine. Depending what you want heated first will determine which line you use. Double and triple check pump flow out of the heater when doing the coolant connection so you don't have a reverse flow going on. The only extra things I needed for mine was a 5mm drill bit, 6mmx1.00 tap, and an extra length of exhaust tubing so it would clear the cab.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:04 PM

Thanks Tate,

How did you hook up the fuel line for the heater, it would be nice and easy to put a T right before my AUX pump but I am not sure if that will suck my fuel lines dry before it sucks from the tank. What is involved to hook up to the secondary line, I haven’t had my tank off so not sure what’s all there for connections.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:14 PM

Tate,
did you cut the return heater hose and then installed a tee, went into the Espar, out of the Espar into the lower heater hose return to the block with another tee?
My Espar is the D5S it comes with the fuel pump and water pump seperate from the Espar unit. I was told by Greg Landuyt that this is an easier kit to install, because you can mount the Espar anywhere and the fuel pump close to the tanks and the the water pump anywhere also.

Quick Reply: Espar install