Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Espar Heaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Espar Heaters

Got a pretty good deal on an espar and want to get it on as soon as I can but I have 2 questions for anyone who has one: Where did you mount it and where did you tap into for the fuel.The supplied fuel line is about 2 meters long and no fittings to tap with.The best place I have seen to mount it seems to be on the rt.wheel well under the battery.Can I tee off the supply line to the lift pump or do I need to come from the tank? Thanks for the help!!
Old 01-10-2005, 10:38 AM

Go to the Espar web site they have a kit for Dodge Diesel trucks and it shows were the parts are mounted and how the hoses are connected as well.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:38 AM

There should be poly line, cant remember the size (smaller than 1/4" and likely metric) that goes directly to the tank.

Mines mounted on the passenger side on the battery tray (bad idea since it broke the plastic tray) and ties into the block back by # 5 or 6 cylinder....I would suggest fabbing a little cradle to hold the heater
Old 01-10-2005, 10:24 PM

Doing it over I would add a separate tank for the Espar in the box. That dang 1/8" fuel line really gels quickly. I have to run way too much #1 blend and anti-gel.
If you want to use fuel from the truck tank just tap into the auxiliary pickup already on the top.

Did you get any wiring with the unit?

What year and model truck are you installing the Espar?
Old 01-11-2005, 07:23 AM

This is new-complete with the timer and master harness and an extra one with relay to run the cab heat fan.Mounting bracket and all hardware but nothing for tapping into the fuel source.The packet says don't run the fuel line longer than the supplied 2 meters.I didn't think gelling would be a problem.I have an 02 CTD ext. cab and if it mounts near the rt battery it would be a lot longer than 2 meters to the tank.Maybe that isn't an issue.....Thanks for all the help!!!!
Old 01-11-2005, 11:26 AM

I've been thinking about an espar but don't know much about them.

What kinda price range are we talking about and where to buy.

Any info would be great

: Eddie :
Old 01-11-2005, 12:34 PM

On an 02 I believe it still mounts under the brake master cylinder

2 meters is just long wnough to reach the fuel tank, however you don't have the auxiliary port on the top.

Espar has a fuel pickup that is normallly installed in the tank.

As I suggested, look for a way to mount a separate tank in the pickup bed. Really much more convenient as it will handle straight #1 fuel (with additive) and you can run whatever works in the Cummins.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by beavercreek
This is new-complete with the timer and master harness and an extra one with relay to run the cab heat fan.Mounting bracket and all hardware but nothing for tapping into the fuel source.The packet says don't run the fuel line longer than the supplied 2 meters.I didn't think gelling would be a problem.I have an 02 CTD ext. cab and if it mounts near the rt battery it would be a lot longer than 2 meters to the tank.Maybe that isn't an issue.....Thanks for all the help!!!!
This doesnt seem to be an issue.....mine was installed by Cummins...and is mounted next to the right battery for serive purpose. I have ran it is minus -40 weather without problems....
Old 01-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The DC dealer in our town here is now installing Webasto Blue Heat units.. Looks almost identical to the Espar. Still around the $2K mark installed.

They do look handy though.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:51 PM

The Espars for the third gens are going for $2900 at Cummins....get real.

Dont know where these guys are getting an Espar for a thousand bucks. I remember when they first came out - they were around $800....
Old 01-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cummins better do some research on pricing.. That seems like a real deal a the local DC dealership...
Old 01-11-2005, 05:08 PM

I think you can still find them in that $900 range but not through cummins.Search the web-there are a some after market and accessories shops that are espar dealers and don't have that mainstream dealer markup. I thought the 02's had an
auxiliary port on the tank(?)It did come with a pickup tube you can install but I didn't want to pull the box if I didn't have to......
Old 01-11-2005, 06:09 PM

We can get them on the west coast for about $1000.00-$1200 + install
Old 01-11-2005, 06:20 PM

A thousand bucks Canadian?? Its worth driving from Alberta to get one installed.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by beavercreek
I think you can still find them in that $900 range but not through cummins.Search the web-there are a some after market and accessories shops that are espar dealers and don't have that mainstream dealer markup. I thought the 02's had an
auxiliary port on the tank(?)It did come with a pickup tube you can install but I didn't want to pull the box if I didn't have to......
Ok, you did get the pickup tube. The auxiliary fuel pickup on my 97 unplugged and the Espar piece dropped right in.

2000 and newer and I quote from Espar manual
For Dodge 2000 and up build dates: The sending unit has been modified. To adapt for this you will need to drill a 40mm (1 9/16”) hole in the sending unit at the postion shown in illustration k (x marks the spot). A grommet, supplied in kit should then be inserted into the hole and the espar pick-up pipe can then be slid into place.
Espar fuel nipples should face between the 11 and 12 o’clock position.
Return to step g.
If you have an aux pickup go ahead and use it. Make sure it is not the fuel tank vent.
Doing it over (not a separate fuel tank) I would leave the aux fuel pickup and not fuss with the Espar pickup.

edit: I paid less than $900