Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Equipment Console

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Equipment Console

I have been looking at some equipment consoles to put in my truck. I have 2 radios (vhf, 800 mhz) and a scanner to mount along with a switch box in my 2001. All the ones I have looked at (Havis-Shields, Jotto-Desk, etc...) seem as if the transfer case lever might interfer with them.

Has anybody had any experience doing this same project? I am doing this project because for 14 days of the week(month) I am a paramedic with the county and usually go straight to the scene with my ALS equipment since the nearest ambulance service is 20 miles away. The other 14 I am an offshore paramedic in the Gulf of Mexico.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Charlie
Old 01-31-2005, 11:56 AM

Galls
Old 01-31-2005, 11:58 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Your week has 28 days? .........WOW I thought MY job sucked............

sure feels like it sometimes though... .
Old 01-31-2005, 12:00 PM

Re: Equipment Console

Originally posted by chasmack
...I am doing this project because for 14 days of the week I am a paramedic with the county and usually go straight to the scene with my ALS equipment since the nearest ambulance service is 20 miles away. The other 14 I am an offshore paramedic in the Gulf of Mexico.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Charlie
Welcome aboard Charlie. Man, you must have some long weeks .
I wish I had an anwer to your question, but I have been wondering about something like this myself. If you browse the photo gallery here, you might be able to see what other folks have done to mount stuff. Most folks end up making their own from what I have seen. You could remove the center seat totally and make you own custom piece that would hold everything you need.

Good Luck,
~Rob
Old 01-31-2005, 12:02 PM

Here is a pic from member DieselDude's gallery:

~Rob
Old 01-31-2005, 12:31 PM

Went back and put a little edit in my original post.

Thanks for the responses.

I like what Rob (Hotdram) did and maybe that what be an option. I have talked to several suppliers including Galls and they say that the transfer case lever will interfer with their consoles that extend between the seats and the dash. They said if it was a Ford or GM that there would'nt be a problem. It seems that there are not many fire or police departments using the Dodge Ram or at least the 4x4 version. I know that the Weights and Measures State Troopers here in Texas use them but they are 2-wheel drive.

I found a used Jotto Desk 10" sloped console and i might try to modify it to fit between the factory console and dash.

Charlie
Old 01-31-2005, 05:57 PM
Chapter President

Have you thought about an over head shelf....not too expensive and looks good. I have one, with the cb, dvd and other stuff up there. Only draw back is that it kinda takes away some of the sight in the front if your over 6 ft tall....thank god for being short....(5'10). I like the way it looks and works. But I never thought about one on the floor.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:49 AM

The only problem with the console being overhead is I monitor over 3 different departments not including county sheriff and state troopers. My Icoms and Kenwoods are setup for alpha numeric display. I am kinda short (5"5") and might have a problem seeing the displays and sitting on a telephone book is not an option!

Charlie
Old 02-01-2005, 03:17 PM

My last FD has 2 4x4 Ram's, and used a standard upright rack from Galls... There's tons of room.. it's not a full console, more of a rack to mount the components in... worked well enough...
Old 02-01-2005, 03:39 PM

I remember someone mounted a bracket tothe center console seat bracket. How about 2 mounted from side to side and one mounted perpindicular on the passeger floor board.

Man I remeber remember when my tail was that bushy
Old 02-01-2005, 04:00 PM

Here's what you can do...

Remove the middle seat. There are four bolts on the underside of it that will allow it to be removed. Oh, just slide the middle seat belt parts through the little flap cut into the seat. OK, so middle seat gone.

Then, take one of the Galls box-type center consoles such as:

and

and you should have the needed 8.5" of width on the passenger side of the transfer case shifter between the passenger seat and the shifter. Yeah, the console will be butted right up against the passenger seat, but it should fit just fine. And if you're unwilling to take a grinder to the two metal middle seat brackets that will probably be in your way, you could probably just Dremel out two sections of the console to allow for the brackets.

How does that sound?
Old 02-01-2005, 04:26 PM

Great idea!! I took some more measurements and will probably have to raise the armrest with a welded on extension, but I think I can make it work.

Thanks guys for getting me on the right track.

Will post some pics when finished . I am going to try when I get back from offshore on the 20th.

Charlie
Old 02-01-2005, 04:37 PM

Yeah, the armrest will be too low and probably too far away, but who cares. Find you an armrest that you can screw onto the driver seat or something maybe. I dunno...that'll be kinda hard I guess. But I'm sure you can do it!

BTW, are you on the rig right now?? What's the internet access situation like on those?
Old 02-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Remember to find a good spot for that little black box under the center console.
It's the inertial control for the front seat belts.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:15 PM

Not sure what you're referring to, Shovelhead. I removed my center seat and console to install my amp and saw no black box. Just the seat, cupholder, four brackets, and carpet.

Quick Reply: Equipment Console