Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Engine miss only under load

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Very common 24VP issue, good luck find another head without cracks. Lots of choices, to bad nothing cheap. I would buy new. Down the road spray water/methanol, it seems to slow down the cracking process. Probably search the internet and a cheap skate fresh head.

Another option is to find a 12V engine and just sell the 24VP engine. Tons of 24VP run around with cracked heads.

For my 6.7L project, I'm running the hamilton head and going with larger valves. Intake plenum is going to be removed. I also plan on running R&R rods, and a mains gridle. I just got my 13mm p7100 done up. Schieds sells a CR P7100 gearbox housing. It should look like any other 12V once I'm done, nothing special. Might even throw a old banged up 215HP 12V valve cover shield on the engine, just for laughs.
Haha sounds pretty special to me lol
Yeah found a few heads for the price of machine work that needs to be done but most of the are on the East coast.... I'm sure shipping would kill the deal on something like that heavy sucker... I'll keep searching.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by RVTraveling
I wish someone could solve this issue. My 99 does EXACTLY the same thing. I have changed the VP,injectors, crank sensor, and removed the 50HP chip...STILL does it. I'm about to give up on it.
Thought I would post an update on my problem. While looking into the possibility of changing the ECM, I came across a reference to TSB 18-24-99 which covers an intermittent miss in early 24V engines. My serial # and build date fell within the right time. I had a local dealer reflash the ECM ($80).

I also came across some references to an IAT fooler to solve the cold weather timing shift that seems to be common with these trucks. You simply bypass the IAT with a 2.2k resistor.

Long story made short---my truck has NEVER run better in it's whole life!!!

Glad I didn't give up on it!

Ken
Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 PM

glad all worked out for you... I am also thinking about the ECM. Dont know what else to do. Dont want to just throw money at it... I figured by now it would get worse if something was failing but seems to be the same. I did clean all grounds, double check the Timbos APPS, unplug the comp and put a Raptor 100 lift pump on but same ol same ol. I was wanting a smarty anyway this sounds like a good reason to buy one
Old 04-28-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi my 01 is doing the same thing have done everything,the next step is to replace the ecm only think that has not bin done i just wish it would througt some d*** code does any one now where to find a good place to get a exchange ecm other than a dealer that won't give you the shaft!!!

Last edited by Dieselbuilder; 04-28-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: missed a t
Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder
Hi my 01 is doing the same thing have done everything,the next step is to replace the ecm only think that has not bin done i just wish it would througt some d*** code does any one now where to find a good place to get a exchange ecm other than a dealer that won't give you the shaft!!!
Not sure where to get one without bending over... Could try junkyard but then the risk is higher of getting a bad one. I was thinking I could just get a smarty and reflash...... Win Win.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 PM

Well, I think I found it.... I didn't think it would be relevant because I unplugged the wire tap when I pulled the edge but, I took off the tap and soldered the connection this morning and now she runs like a swiss watch... Only think I can think of is maybe it was a combination of bad grounds and that connection. Thanks for the help guys hope this helps someone else down the road.