Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Build

So in the next few months I will be in the market for a 3rd gen. My 96 will become an extra vehicle so why not play with it some. I've already got quite a bit done to it bomb-wise including a set of twins that I have been running for about 20k miles now.
The truck also has 301k miles, the motor runs strong still but I think I would be asking for trouble if I put on an industrial injection fuel pump and a set of DD4 injectors. That would just lead to bigger chargers and so on, I think with all those miles I might start to find some faults in the motor itself with that kind of power.
So here's my question, if I decide to pull the motor and rebuild it what should I do with the internals? Don't most people still use OEM crank and rods even in fairly extreme HP setups? With all the miles I have would it be wise to try and have them cleaned up by a machine shop and reused or buy something else?
This is not something I'm going to do anytime soon, but I'd like to start stockpiling parts if it's not going to cost me too much.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bet everything is still in first class shape unless you've had it hot. I would put new main and rod bearings , if it was coming apart , i would consider an oil pump , new pistons and rings clean up the cylinder walls and new cam and valve springs, but i wouldnt even think you need that!