Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Emjay Controller Strategies

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emjay Controller Strategies

Just installed my Emjay strategy controller. My Emjay has the new Lock and Launch feature. My problem with the stock shift points were that the gears would shift at about 3000 to 3100 rpm's at WOT. My torque peak is at about 2700 rpm's. My signature shows my mods. Can anyone give me a good Emjay strategy setup for drag racing? <br><br>Meacham Evins<br> ??? [undecided] ??? [undecided] ??? [undecided] ??? [undecided] ??? [undecided]
Old 07-12-2003, 08:02 PM

Re:Emjay Controller Strategies

I have one but I have an older version of the emjay and it may not work for you.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:57 PM

Stakeman,<br> The version that I have is only different in that the Lock-and-Launch is programmed in. It is my understanding that this is a free upgrade to you from Emjay. When you come to the line you apply the brake. Then you press the accelerator to rev your engine and spool your charger up. When you press the accelerator to a set throttle position your converter locks up and hold on. It seems to work well except after I am gone the gears rev too high before shifting. The strategy I was looking for is to lower my shift points to about 2800 rpm's through the gears. Please let me know about the strategy you have.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Meacham Evins<br>Lebanon, Tennessee
Old 07-13-2003, 04:34 PM

I will send you a PM with my setup. The lock and launch feature is something that I am VERY interested in. ;D
Old 07-23-2003, 09:51 AM

Meacham,<br><br>I sent you some profiles. <br><br>Here's something to think about: Once you upshift, the torque at the output of the trans and ultimately the rear wheels is reduced by the gear ratio in the trans. For instance, if you are producing 1000 ft. lbs of torque, in 1st gear (2.5:1 ratio), that's 2500 ft. lbs. at the driveshaft. In second (1.5:1), it's 1500 ft. lbs., third is 1000 ft. lbs. Ideally, you would want the shift to occur just before the torque curve drops to the point that the next gear has equivalent torque at the new ratio. In reality, you need time for the shift to occur, so you'd want to shift a little earlier than that.<br><br>Your torque peak is at 2700 RPMs. If you're talking about the 1-2 shift, the torque is reduced to 60% of the first gear torque due to the gear ratio change from 1st (2.5:1) to second (1.5:1). So it would be better to shift when the torque drops to about 2/3 of the peak, or maybe 3/4 of the peak to allow for shift time. <br><br>Of course, it also depends on the drop-off slope of the torque, rate of acceleration, and shift time. If your torque drops like a rock after 2700 RPM, then rate of acceleration and shift time become significant. If you get to 2/3 or 3/4 of the peak torque at, say, 3200 RPM, that's when the shift should occur. Only 1/4 mile times will tell you what's best.<br>
Old 07-24-2003, 04:38 PM

How does the Emjay compare to the ATS TripleLok Commander? I understand the Emjay allows you to customize shift points, which the Commander does not, but maybe we can compare them regarding controlling TC lockup? <br><br>The ATS website states that the Commander will automatically unlock during deceleration in order to avoid stalling, does the Emjay do this also? How is the Emjay able to &quot;lock and launch&quot; without stalling? <br><br>This is interesting stuff, I'm wondering if I'll need to look into something like this in the future. <br><br>Russ
Old 07-24-2003, 05:22 PM

Russ <br>Here is a quote from another thread that I believe will answer your question.<br><br>
emjay<br>Lock-n-Launch causes lockup when the driveshaft is spinning at least 400 RPM and the throttle is beyond the threshold. You should use a triple-disk TCC to keep from slipping
<br><br>http://www.emjay-eng.com/locknlaunch.html<br><br>Edward
Old 07-24-2003, 06:31 PM

CDT99,
The strategy controller I have has the ability to set shift points by use of throttle position and speed. There are three settings on the controller. 1) Normal 2) Towing 3) Loaded (Racing for me) Each position can be programmed to your preferences. In my normal position (Which I use most of the time) the only changes I made were to set the overdrive to lockout until I reach 60 MPH and to lock it out again when I go below 42 MPH. I also set my Torque converter to unlock below 30 MPH. I think you can set it to unlock as high as 55 MPH. You can set it to lock from between 25 MPH's to 55 MPH's.
The feature that the other guy was refering to is a new Lock-N-Launch feature. It's for drag racing and requires an aftermarket torque converter that has first and second gear lockup capabilities. I can spool up my boost on the line and lock my torque converter by pressing the accelerator to a chosen position (mine at 90 percent). If I'm in 2wd the rear tires spin at 10lbs of boost and in 4wd launching at about 13lbs of boost is about right for me. I've not really had a problem with stalling.
If you have an exhaust brake the controller allows you to control many characteristics of the exhaust brake engagement.
This controller, in my opinion, has made driving my automatic more fun and I don't even touch the overdrive button anymore.
I hope this helps and I bought the controller from A.T.S.

Meacham Evins