Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

egts with different plates and injectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
egts with different plates and injectors

ok it drives me nuts on here sometimes. i have seen people complain about high egts with this or that plate or this or that injector. if you are grossed at 26k and it takes 250 hp to maintian speed on a 6% grade, guess what, it takes x amount of fuel to do it. i don't care if the fuel is coming from a stock set of 370's and a #10 plate or a set of stock 180's with a #4. if you need 250hp it need x amount of fuel. the only egt relief you can get is in airflow, except you might gain a bit with a really nice edm injector. but all things considered x amount of fuel will create x amount of heat. i tow heavy, as in up to 30k. i still have a hx 35, i run a #100 plate and a set of 370's. guess what, it tows like a champ, i can bury the pyro if i feel stupid. but there is no need, it has some much more power than i really need it is crazy. i use the real power for play nothing else. i have heard many people wanting 400 hp to tow with. there is just no use for it towing, heck if i hit it with the big trailer on it scares me. the truck starts torqueing over and make me start thinking about the hitch ripping apart. face it guys anything over 300 rwhp is for play. on my truck if i hit a big climb and keep my egt's in the1200 or less range, my water temp will start rising pretty quick. this is usally running 35 or so pounds of boost to push all the air at 65 or so, at 30k gross.

the more post i read about this or that plate defueling on the top or a weak bottom end. i just can't figure out why i would want something to defuel at the top. if you are trying to make a truck idiot proof, leave it alone. just about any plate or injector can over heat a motor with a dummy behind the wheel
Old 12-10-2004, 03:19 PM

ok before everyone dogs me, i am aware of advancing the timing to cool it down a bit. and it does make a differance in smoke and egt's.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:29 PM

I guess you wrote this after reading the thread about the 3k GSK? I DO think ity makes a difference what plate you have. If a plate starts defueling some at higher RPM's, then you should no doubt have lower EGT's than a plate that keeps full fueling. Also, your right; but there isnt even a stock truck that is idiot proof. I dont know if this thread was written partially because of me wanting lower EGT's on the other thread, but i want to be able to use the power i have when i do haul stuff, and if i can get the EGT's where they need to be, and stuff, then whats wrong with that? Also, with JUST my fuel plate, i could no where near get EGT's out of check. I hit 1300 degrees ONCE pulling a big load of round bales with it mashed on the mat in 3rd gear. Now, im sure it would be more like 1500 since the GSK has to somehow fuel more at the top end, which makes the shape of the plate, and EGT's more noticable up there since its actually using that many RPM's. I dont need my truck idiot proof by any means(thats why i have gauges), but i want to be able to run/pull it pretty hard without having my eyes glued to the gauge.

Eric
Old 12-10-2004, 03:51 PM

To go along with your timing comment, I noticed that when I put int the 370s, I could get a little more useable power out of the same EGT so to speak. I havn't touched my timing, but I the 370s should get the same amount of fuel in quicker, and therfore it is kinda like having advanced timing.

I agree, controlEGTs and smoke with your foot, unless your wife drives your truck too.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:30 PM

i was not directing this thread at anyone, but many folks want there cake and eat it too. yes that would be nice but it is just not that way it works. fuel to make x amount of hp will cause x amount of heat. buy pulling fuel out to lower egts, power will be lost, plain and simple. you can pull out some bottom end fueling to slow the rise of egts, or pull out some on the top to cool it a bit, but hp will go with it.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:21 PM

Your right, and i definatley understand your point. You cant have 800hp and still put it on the matt with 30k lbs, and hold it there without tearing up something, but with the right setup, you can have a really nice pulling rig for not to much $ that still runs good on the street, which is kind of how i want mine. I think ill put a 16cm housing on it, and leave it alone power wise for a while at least. I can keep my power, and after i get my TC in, my tranny should be good to go. I never have been able to lay into the throttle with a load behind my truck with the converter locked, so i cant wait to see what that feels like . Once i get about 10lbs of boost on a hill it feels like it wants to GO! But i have to let out of it or the TC starts slipping right about the time i get enough boost to start making peak torque. I thought about cutting a stock plate like a #10, and trying it, but i have no doubt that I would lose power, which is not what i want, so ill just cool it down with the 16cm housing. Im guessing EGT's might still get a little toasty pulling, but right now, i know i could hit 1450 degrees with a decent load by the time i got to 30mph. I want EGT's cool enough that i can out run a stock D-Max/Allison with a load of cattle. My Cousin has one and has not really been beat pulling by a dodge yet. Im hoping to change that whenever i get a good TC and the 16cm housing . I was the first dodge to out run him uloaded(which i did a pretty good job of), but the 5spds of that allison will hurt me, so after a good TC, and stuff i think i can take hime , cause if he out ran me with a load with that stock D-Max id never hear the end of it I definatley see what your saying though.

Eric
Old 12-11-2004, 07:22 AM

Here's what I did to control "myself" when towing:

VALET SWITCH

It makes life so much easier. I can hammer away all day long at 30 psi and EGT's will sloowwllyy creep up to ~1100*. I can also pull about anything I want, if I can't, I just slow down a bit because the wind is too much to pull (stupid flatbed and truck-like brick)

I got the valet to keep other's from hot rodding my truck, no I use it almost all of the time to control myself.

Good Luck,
Chris

DISCLAIMER: The use of a valet switch WILL make your truck seem a little "flat." Meaning the punch, or BIG HIT, won't be near as noticable . The power is more like a gasser, smooth and flat, but the power is there
Old 12-13-2004, 02:52 AM

nobody needs to be towing 30,000 lbs at 70-80 anyways with a dodge! i know exactly what gun is talking about. i would like to have 370's and take the plate out and just put some guages. no truck is idiotproof. i can clog up the air filter on a stock dodge and burn the sommbtch to the ground if i wanted to. i have ulled 30,000 lbs before and i know what its like. just like he said, (heck if i hit it with the big trailer on it scares me. the truck starts torqueing over and make me start thinking about the hitch ripping apart. face it guys anything over 300 rwhp is for play. on my truck if i hit a big climb and keep my egt's in the1200 or less range, my water temp will start rising pretty quick) yeah. thats your other factor as to know when to shut er' down. just slowing down 5-10 mph and the truck will cool off right quick then you can go back to your avg speed till it starts heatin up again. you gotta use your foot, watch your guages and know when to say uncle. i can't believe anyone that would buy guages and not watch them. thats why they are there. to tell you when something is haywire. not just for show.