Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

EGT PROBLEMS! please read

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGT PROBLEMS! please read

i have a problem with the egts staying at proper levels. before i purchased the httb2/62 and 4" straight exhaust, i was running the mods in my sig full forward(plate,afc housing,star wheel)and could never do a WOT run due to egts, so i purchased the turbo/exhaust and once again am only able to use 1/2 to 3/4 throttle before the pyro swings quickly past 1600. so i did a test moving the plate,afc,star wheel back to center. the only change was the truck felt bone stock and yup the egts were still throught the roof. i was told if i moved these back to center and the egts were still a problem that my stock injectors are bad. (115,000 miles on injectors) what do you guys think? any thoughts, comments, help would be great. Thanks Mark.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:10 PM

What rpm do you see the EGTs climb?

Did you start with the basics such as verifying the timing is still at 15.5° and no boost leaks?
Old 11-19-2005, 10:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How much black smoke do you have? I'm assuming a freight train. How much boost pressure do you have? Whst size is the exhaust housing on your turbo?

Chris
Old 11-20-2005, 10:52 AM

hello,
well the temps climb fast just off idle through the entire rpms, before the turbo lights they climb fast to 800-900, when the turbo lights the egts stay at a fast pace to reach 1600. the timming was done a few months ago and has never showed a power decrease or white smoke. when the plate,afc,star wheel were full forward yes SMOKE all the time, i could black out an intersection or tailgator no problem. i get 40+psi at the manifold and the housing is a 14 gated. i really thought i would see a big egt drop once i centerd everything, but only noticed a big power decrease, with a good amount of smoke still present. i talked to paul and denise at htt and they think the pop off pressure on the stock injectors has fallen from 2800psi to down around 2200-2000psi, which they said can cause the fuel to poor into the cylinders causing a major heat issue. paul also said that this turbo should have no problem keeping a 500hp truck cool at sea level and estamated my hp at 375-400, paul and denise both agreed there hast to be a fueling problem somewhere. thanks guys keep the questions and thoughts comming. Mark
Old 11-20-2005, 10:55 AM

Have you checked the gauge accuracy?

Randy
Old 11-20-2005, 11:01 AM

when the truck was stock all guages read normal readings, the day the mods were installed is when the major change happened, so i would fell safe to say they are working properly. Mark
Old 11-20-2005, 12:16 PM

I won't say there is no problem with the stock injectors, but unless you have changed them out, I would look at that last. I HAVE had an injector problem in the past, on my 99, and my symptoms were similar to yours. I thought a rag was stopping up flow through the intercooler because of all the smoke I was getting, even when riding down the highway at crusing speed. I found one injector had cracked up the length of the injector.
Do you know anyone that might have a spare set you can swap in there? That's how I found my problem. I just know the borrowed stockers fixed the problem, the injector maker told me he had found a crack in one.

Chris
Old 11-20-2005, 02:46 PM

stamey,
i wish i did have a good set of stock injectors to compare with. i have been outside all morning checking everything from leaks, rags in places they shouldent be, adjustments, and cant find anything out of place or adjustment. i am starting to think that with the big dv's and possibley bad injectors, the fuel system is forcing to much fuel straight in all at once instead of a gradual increase through out the rpm range. is there any other type of fuel adjustments on these pumps? if anyone is running the same setup, could you please tell me what your temps do and when. Mark
Old 11-20-2005, 04:57 PM

If you want i can lend you a set of stockers from mine. I won't be able to send them until next Friday though. Maybe call up Schied's and ask them about your DV theory. If you want I'll send you my stocker's.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Crimedog
If you want i can lend you a set of stockers from mine. I won't be able to send them until next Friday though. Maybe call up Schied's and ask them about your DV theory. If you want I'll send you my stocker's.
Boy, that's very kind of you, Crimedog.

Mark, if you do some injector swapping, it is my undertsanding you should have an installation kit, is there are some metal washers in there (copper?) that tend to leak if reused. I have not changed a set of 12v injectors so I can't say from experience.
I suppose that kit is available through Cummins and Dodge. Perhaps others can shed more light on this aspect.

Chris
Old 11-20-2005, 06:06 PM

Yeah, you'll need an installation kit, I'd talk to one of the injection shops on ebay and get the install kit (gives you 3 thicknesses of washers and return line washers). Or maybe Piers would have them
Old 11-20-2005, 06:34 PM

thanks for the offer crimedog, man thats what makes this site so cool, eveybody is willing to help get to the bottom of your problems. monday i will be calling paul@htt back to let him know that moving things around didnt change the egts, also i will call shieds and run my problem/theory by them. please keep this post alive, iam far from getting to the bottom of the problem. Thanks Mark
Old 11-20-2005, 10:44 PM

Okay.. So. You have the timing advanced, boost is good, turbo is plenty enough, your EGT's are through the roof, and it was fine till the mods. Hmm. First thing i would check if i were you would be your governor lever arm adjustment. It could very well be going under the plate, and getting hung, and causing crazy high EGT's. I would at least check it before i swapped injectors. If there was no problem stock, then the problem should lie within something you changed. Here is a link for the adjustment. Check it out, and let us know what you find:

http://www.piersdiesel.com/TechLeverAdj.htm

When i put my GSK in i lost a lot of power, and my Governor arm had gotten out of adjustment. Adjusted it per instructions in the link, and no more problems. Make sure you pull up the shutoff solenoid, and give it throttle while checking it. I would think putting your plate back to center would fix the problem if this were it, but its always worth a try. Good luck!

Eric
Old 11-21-2005, 02:06 PM

I have a set of stock injectors sitting in the garage with all of the washers needed to install on your truck. They are off a 98 12er with auto. I think they are 180's. I have all of the washers from the set I got with the 370's. Let me know. I can send em to ya. They are just sitting there. Worked great on the truck when I took em off. Gotta get er fixed
Old 11-21-2005, 07:34 PM

cumminsdriver635,
when i moved the plate back, the arm was in the proper place, but i will check it again when the plate goes back to full forward.
ridofpwrstroke,
thanks alot for the offer, i called and talked to Sheids today and they said i should raise the timming to 18* and if i was not planning on putting bigger injectors in, to either take the dv's out or put some 300/370 in, because with the dv's and small injectors i am stresing the pump/pump cam, possibly forcing to much fuel to early causing heat before the turbo has time to light. i will be calling mark at tst tommorow along with paul/denise at htt, both at htt think its my injectors as well. if i were to buy injectors which ones should i get for towing and where? will keep you guys posted, Thanks Again Mark.

Quick Reply: EGT PROBLEMS! please read