Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

EGT Probe Drill & Tap

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGT Probe Drill & Tap

Don't mean to bore the more experienced in this crowd but for those of you who were like me and wanted to install a EGT but felt a little intimidated by the drilling and tapping of the exhaust manifold I wanted to offer these comments.

Drilling and tapping the exhaust manifold turned out to be pretty darn easy. The two nuts on the outboard side of the flange are easy to remove with a 15mm box wrench. The two nuts on the interior side of the flange are also easily removed by working from the underside of the truck with a universal joint attached to a 15mm socket and a looooong extension. Once all four nuts are removed I followed the exhaust down to the first hanger below the turbo. This hanger is held in place by two bolts attached to the trans housing. By removing these two bolts the turbo easily dropped about 3/8 inch which gives plenty of room to put a piece of thin cardboard between the exhaust manifold and the turbo. I used some duct tape to hold the cardboard in place and then drilled and tapped the probe installation hole. I found it easier to cut off the 7/16 dia. drill so that only a short amount stuck out of the drill chuck which gave me plenty of room to get the drill motor in place. Once the hole was drilled I used a six point socket to hold the tap and used used a ratchet to rotate the tap and cut the threads.

The main point of this post is just to let you know that it was much easier than I feared.

I also used the painless wiring kit from Geno's for the wiring. I found a nice place to locate the wiring kit by use of a small bracket I fabricated.

Bear in mind that this installation is on a '03.

That's it. Just my 0.02.

Old 05-09-2003, 08:25 PM

Re:EGT Probe Drill & Tap

Glad you were successfull there drafter <br><br>I told you it wouldn't be any problem :
Old 05-10-2003, 12:01 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

I have heard that the turbo gasket needs to be replaced every time. It may leak without notice. Glad it worked though.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:53 AM

Katoom,<br><br>Yep, I thought about that too. I talked to the parts department where I bought the truck and it was a one day order but they told me not to worry about it. I guess time will tell if I make a mistake on not replacing the gasket. What should I look for to determine if the gasket needs to be replaced later.<br><br>Another reason I didn't replace the gasket was because I could get the flange seperated far enough to put the cardboard above the turbo but I couldn't get it seperated far enough to pull the gasket off.<br><br>
Old 05-10-2003, 10:51 AM

Good deal! Glad you got it installed! I was wondering if you tackled the project yet or not! ;D<br><br>Tony