Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

EGT Gauge...Not Reading Right

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGT Gauge...Not Reading Right

Hello everyone,

I just finished removing and replacing my left front bearing hub assembly this morning, and this was the first time I have had the truck running for a week. This afternoon while driving I looked at my EGT gauge and noticed it was reading very high. Normally while cruising around 90km/h, it will be reading around 600-650 degrees. However this afternoon it is reading around 900 while cruising around 90km/h. My boost is good and normal, fuel pressure normal, no boost leaks that I can find/see, engine temp is normal. Everything is normal according to my gauges other than the EGT's. So I unplugged the power from the fuse panel, found another source and plugged it into there. Was reading good for a little bit then started reading high again.

I havn't found anything like this yet on search, but I will keep looking.

Any help is great,

Thanks

Craig
Old 12-23-2007, 02:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think it is a problem at all. Different temperatures, humidity, throttle level, winter fuel, all contribute to different readings at different times.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:22 PM

Thanks Geico266,

It just had me worried because it has never read this high before.

Oh another thing. I can let the truck sit there and idle, and it will only drop to about 600 degrees. Where as before during idling, it would drop to around 30 degrees.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:33 PM

Hi Dinner

If all else is reading normal I would want to get a different EGT gauge on there to confirm. My 01 runs 600-700 F at 100-110 kms with my edge on level 3. Obviously ambient temp will affect this but judging by your location that is not a factor at this time of year. Anything that increases your load is going to affect it too,( head wind, a dragging brake maybe ??). Does it feel normal otherwise ?
Old 12-23-2007, 01:50 PM

I just got my new auto meter ultralight pyro because my old one was really slow to move. Its on my 96 in my sig and with a 32' trailer and a load it would take 30-40 seconds for the temp to peak while climbing a hill and after I let off it would still rise for about 5 seconds and then start to fall. When I start the truck it will read 100* for a few min if i just let it idle, and will never get below 400* if I let it idle for 1 hour. Will see how the next one works. Put one in DennyT's 1st gen and it moves faster than his tack ( that gauge was going in mine but he was going on a trip to the mountains and needed it more than I did and the 2 I got after that have not worked right)
Old 12-23-2007, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by FranticFire
Hi Dinner

If all else is reading normal I would want to get a different EGT gauge on there to confirm. My 01 runs 600-700 F at 100-110 kms with my edge on level 3. Obviously ambient temp will affect this but judging by your location that is not a factor at this time of year. Anything that increases your load is going to affect it too,( head wind, a dragging brake maybe ??). Does it feel normal otherwise ?
I don't think my brakes are dragging bad enough to cause that much EGT heat. I did replace my left front bearing assembly so maybe I'll go check that out right now and see how easily my wheel spins. But then I got thinking that if a break was dragging, woulnt I have to be revving the engine higher to maintain a certain speed? I'm still running around 1600RPM for 90km/h.

What power source do you fellas use for the EGT gauge, and how many amps?
Old 12-23-2007, 03:39 PM

Just Checked out both side bearings and brakes. Bearings are good, no play in them and can't feel them spinning. Brakes drag a bit but that is normal for disk brakes to drag so it's not that.

I went for a drive to get some fuel and so far my Gauge was reading normal. I'm not sure if it was having a "fit" last night or what, but it seems to be ok. Granted I only drove a total of 10km to and from getting fuel. I might be going for a drive tonight and I'll see how it reads.

Will having the wrong amp/voltage going to the gauge affect its readings?
Old 12-23-2007, 04:29 PM

Mine works great now with the new gauge. Almost liked the other one better now i can hit 1300* with out any prob empty. The old one took a while with a trailer. Ignorance is bliss right?

Dinner if you don't have 12v to it it may not read right but it would not make it higher I don't think. Any keyed 12v source should be fine. They draw less than an amp.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:18 PM

I have a 24 Valve, not a 12 if that makes a difference??

Im hoping to get my fuel snubber soon to see if that helps. Once the weather is better and I can walk to my truck without falling over. I will hopefully bleed my line, check all my other fuel lines, filter housing again, all of that stuff, and get my snubber installed. If that doesnt help im going to try a new lift pump(was thinking of getting another one anyways) and try that. If that doesn't work then I guess I will have to get a new gauge.

Thanks for all the help so far guys

Dimmer
Old 12-23-2007, 06:16 PM

I think he meant volts & not valves
Old 12-23-2007, 08:56 PM

Ya sorry 12Volts.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Thundercraft
I think he meant volts & not valves
my bad, my bad

Well I have the gauge plugged into my....Radio fuse I believe right now.

I went for a mm 100km drive tonight and the gauge has been working fine. So i'm wondering if maybe it was just having a bad night last night? If that is possible.

Dinner
Old 12-25-2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dinner
Just Checked out both side bearings and brakes. Bearings are good, no play in them and can't feel them spinning. Brakes drag a bit but that is normal for disk brakes to drag so it's not that.

I went for a drive to get some fuel and so far my Gauge was reading normal. I'm not sure if it was having a "fit" last night or what, but it seems to be ok. Granted I only drove a total of 10km to and from getting fuel. I might be going for a drive tonight and I'll see how it reads.

Will having the wrong amp/voltage going to the gauge affect its readings?
Good to hear evrythings ok with the brakes etc. As with anything mechanical, yes the gauge could have been having a quirky moment. The only way I could see voltage source affecting your gauge is if the system was overcharging badly and you would have noticed that elsewhere by now.
I get my pyro reading from my edge programmer screen. It has several power feed taps.