Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

EFI LIVE Programers

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swmnkdinthervr
I wouldn't be so fast on that assumption...the capability is there to do all that now on a few cars...you can also tune motorcycles that way but ya won't be able to do that on the fly the only hindrance would be the age of our trucks, the newer trucks get most of the aftermarket attention...
I think theres a code that you need in order to crack open all the tables in the ECM like the GM vehicles can. Dodge and/or Cummins aint givin it up, likely never. (not real sure how it works, but thats what Ive been told)

Van Aaken C5 is supposed to be the closest to EFI, but doesnt have anywhere near the capabilities and adjustments as EFI allows.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07
I think theres a code that you need in order to crack open all the tables in the ECM like the GM vehicles can. Dodge and/or Cummins aint givin it up, likely never. (not real sure how it works, but thats what Ive been told)

Van Aaken C5 is supposed to be the closest to EFI, but doesnt have anywhere near the capabilities and adjustments as EFI allows.
It's really more of a question of cost, than it is Dodge giving up anything. The EFI live software was developed without the use of any info from GM other than what was readily available in the datastream. There was enough of a market for tuning gas motors that some serious money and time was spent reverse engineering the data stream and communications GM was using. The Diesel's simply use the same communications and all that was required were new templates with the correct adjustable parameters (IE Fueling,Boost, things like that) All this is a way over simplfied explaination of course, but that is the crux of the issue.

The closest thing to EFI is going to be the software Marco uses to make his tunes. It's proprietary Cummins sotware. I believe TST was using it until Cummins shut them down in court for using their software without license. I'm fairly sure he uses the software to get the tune where he wants it and then converts the files to Smarty files that we all download. I know he did a lot of research into the communications of the ECM and has a really stellar product, his downloads are the fastest by leaps and bounds. He has the best downloader for a reason, he has the ability to adjust every parameter just like EFI live enables the GM guys to.
I just don't think we'll ever see a tunable 3rd gen setup like the EFI live setups because of 2 reasons, you can't repackage someones software to sell in the USA (especially if the company has a USA presence) and there really is no reason for letting someone tune their own truck when you have a monopoly on custom tunes. All IMHO of course