Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Which EDM injector?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which EDM injector?

Guys,

Sorry for the newbie questions from somebody who's been around here for awhile.

Check my sig for my truck. But basically right now, it's an ETC 6-speed with stock everything, except EZ box, elbow, 275's, and straight piped. Love the truck. Runs well. Good mpg. Tows nice. I'm guessing 300 - 315 h.p., and 650 - 675 tq. Never dyno'd. But other guys who were running this set-up a couple years back dyno'd in this range.

But here lately, even the cruise control is slipping the clutch (towing). So, sometime soon I'm off to get an SBC Con-OFE. My mind is already made up about that.

The question is: Which EDM injector is going to be *BEST* for me? I don't know much about them, but the Mach 1.6's through Mach 3's seem to be about what I need. Maybe even a 4? Dunno.

The problem is, I don't know what will work well with my EZ box and stock turbo. OK, it's embarrasing that I can't remember the name, but I may go away from the EZ and run the box that comes with the Commander.

So, back to the basics for me guys. I've been at the limit of my stock clutch for years ... and had decided not to go more until my stock clutch gave up. It's close enough to giving up the ghost, that I'm getting a heck of good clutch to deal with whatever I decide after that.

So down the slippery slope I'll go, once I get the clutch. But I only want to buy injectors 1 time. I'm 75% sure I want EDM's. Just not sure what's best for me and a stock turbo.

I'm looking for any advice you care to give me. I did a search about EDM's, and most of the stuff I read was about 1.5 to 2 years old. Thanks guys.

P.S. Oh yeah, I won't be doing any sled pulls, or any drag racing. I just want to tow like mad, and outrun the occasional PSD ... and every DMax on the road.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd say a 1.6 or M2 from Don. The 1.6s work well with a stock turbo.

That said, you're looking at about 50hp over your present rig switched to m1.6s-- another 10-15 more with M2s.

Given my experience with the m4s, I'd run the 2s. I'm always a fan of going just a tad bigger on the injectors.

Heck, I run the 4s on a stock turbo without any problem-- I just can't tow with all that! But for putzing around town and the occasional blast it works well.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds similar to my setup. 2000 with a 6 speed.
Mine is setup up with a SB Con-OFE, F1 Mach 1.6 injectors, HRVP, stock HX-35 with the wastgate divider drilled, SMARTY, 4" turbo back, BHAF. I had the head O-ringed when I had it off, just in case I go real big. Made 363hp/860tq when I dynoed it.

I tow with mine frequently and the max EGT's I've ever seen is 1300 on a WOT run getting on the highway loaded.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:46 PM

If you could find some used 2.5's that would a sweet set up prob the most you could go and still tow alot.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Banned

JD, that sounds right up my alley.

How do you think your truck would tow/daily drive with M2's? The reason I ask is that I don't want to buy 1.6's and think, "I should've/could've used the M2's."

I only want buy 1 time! Thanks!

- JyRO
Old 05-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Banned

dzlfarmboy - Exactly. That's what I'm going through this whole excercise for. When I figure out which injector will give me as much power as I can have and still tow well with it, then I will be looking for someone who has some available because they went bigger.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:51 PM

a good friend of mine has a 2001 with a 6 speed and he tows what ever he wants all day long with 150 hp inj and his edge drag somp on 5x5 never gets hot and goes like heck
Old 05-22-2007, 01:54 PM

Yeah my friend has the 1.2's on an 01 6spd with a smarty and it's a great tow combo but i think with the Ez and 2.5's would be even better, i had a set before and really liked them. How much weight do you tow?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

It varies depending on whatever I get strapped down with. But generally, I'll tow either my camper (~9,500 lbs.) or way more often I'm towing my enclosed trailer. With the enclosed trailer, I generally will not tow any more than about 8,000 lbs. (it's a wimpy enclosed trailer with 2 3,500# axles ... so I don't push it).

So, I don't generally tow the house down, but heavy enough. My current combo is great, but since the stock clutch is finally letting go ... and since I'm going to have a Con OFE, I automatically gotta bring the engine output up to the capability of the clutch! That's just part of the slippery slope that we must all adhere to.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:32 PM

This is why I went with 1.6's, 11,000 lbs of tractors and 5,000 lb trailer. Did not want an EGT monster like my 93.
You could probably go a hair on the big side with M2 or M2.5's and just watch your EGT's alittle more carefully.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Banned

Here lately, my truck does not do much of anything, except towing. As much towing as I do, that picture with them two tractors is making me pucker. Seems like a little too much load for my truck. That's MDT territory (to me).

My truck could pull it, but I'd hate to run into trouble with anything but an MDT. Course my truck is a 2500 / SRW. That's a dually load AT LEAST, but still an MDT would be better. I'm easing over on the edge of the road now, and giving you room to pass! Whew, now that's a load!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Banned

If I run 2's or maybe 2.5's, will I need to, or should I, drill the wastegate divider? That's good to help the turbo spool up quicker, but not for more overall boost ... right?
Old 05-23-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by JyRO
If I run 2's or maybe 2.5's, will I need to, or should I, drill the wastegate divider? That's good to help the turbo spool up quicker, but not for more overall boost ... right?
Drilling the divider won't effect spool up, but it will allow the front 3 cylinders to bypass into the wastegate when it opens.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Banned

Hmmmm ... which is good for what? Sorry for the newbie questions.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:03 PM

Helps control max boost pressure... (and drive pressure.)

Quick Reply: Which EDM injector?