Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Edge, Superchips, Van Aaken and the gang!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge, Superchips, Van Aaken and the gang!

Ok, researching chips I'd found that the Edge EZ may be the best route for me to take but wanting opinions.

Truck: 2000 Dodge Cummins 3500 dually dump, 47RE tranny 50k miles

So, I know a high power chip will most likely toast the 47RE tranny. BUT, what I am concerned with is an increase in fuel economy/MPG not power.

What route would you go to increase the MPG on this truck as that is my goal? THANKS!!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:28 AM

Talking

i would go with a comp,you can always run it on ez mode.then if you want some more oooomph tap the wire and do some tranny work and your happy,and with a comp you can dial in the setting you like to get the most mpg.im running 3-1 and shes getting great mpg.and with the comp the boost fooler works with the box off{so ive read}i like being able to shut it off also for when the wifes lead foot gets in the truck.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Registered

yeah id go with the comp too.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:00 AM

so what kind of mpg are you looking at? what was the increase?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Edge, Superchips, Van Aaken and the gang!

Originally posted by tthomass
Ok, researching chips I'd found that the Edge EZ may be the best route for me to take but wanting opinions.

Truck: 2000 Dodge Cummins 3500 dually dump, 47RE tranny 50k miles

So, I know a high power chip will most likely toast the 47RE tranny. BUT, what I am concerned with is an increase in fuel economy/MPG not power.

What route would you go to increase the MPG on this truck as that is my goal? THANKS!!
The comp with the wire dangling will probably give you better mileage than the EZ will. This, because 1) supposedly the Comp has a hair more timing, and 2) the Comp will defuel on the bottom end more than the EZ will allow.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:45 AM

1998.5-2000 Dodge Cummins - #EZD1000 $494.00
Edge Comp Plug-In Module - #ECD2000 $629.00

dang, i thought they were like $500ish and the EZ a little less

what would be the suggested route? buy used?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:06 AM

shop around.and look for a used one.i got my comp used for 350can.{285us}theres some in the classifieds here.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:01 PM

sounds good, what kind of fuel mileage increase did you see? 3mpg? how was it driv'n?

thanks for the help ya'll!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going to disagree with everybody else. If you want better mileage, go with RV275 injectors and the stock computer. Most people I know running an Edge (EZ or Comp) saw a slight drop in mileage. I don't know any who saw an increase. I have an EZ and it did not improve my mileage. In fact, I had to drop it from the highest setting to the middle setting to get back close to the mileage I had when it was stock.

If you ever do tap the pump wire on an Edge Comp with the stock injectors, it may be more than your pump can handle. Lot's of people do it and they are okay, but some are not and get to buy a new VP44.

One expert opinion I have heard (I believe it was Ron Janeatty of Janeatty Racing - apologies for the spelling), strongly recommends injectors before a fueling box. Paraphrasing Ron's explanation, injectors are like a restrictor nozzle at the end of a high pressure hose. Turning up the pressure on the hose without changing the flow restriction on the end puts more stress on the entire system. Rather than turn up the pressure, reduce the restriction on the end of the hose. This still gives you a higher fueling rate without added stress on the fuel delivery system. Then if you ever add a fueling box, the delivery system can handle the higher pressure because there is less restriction.

That is kind of a rudementary explanation, but I think you get the basic principle. Anyway, I think your odds of getting better mileage are much higher with injectors than a fueling box. Of course, if you start driving like Mario Andretti, all fuel efficiency gains will be lost anyway.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:45 AM

IMHO
Comp no wire tap to start then if you want more power tap the wire
Old 08-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Chapter President

Originally posted by thecatsfan
I am going to disagree with everybody else. If you want better mileage, go with RV275 injectors and the stock computer. Most people I know running an Edge (EZ or Comp) saw a slight drop in mileage. I don't know any who saw an increase. I have an EZ and it did not improve my mileage. In fact, I had to drop it from the highest setting to the middle setting to get back close to the mileage I had when it was stock.

If you ever do tap the pump wire on an Edge Comp with the stock injectors, it may be more than your pump can handle. Lot's of people do it and they are okay, but some are not and get to buy a new VP44.

One expert opinion I have heard (I believe it was Ron Janeatty of Janeatty Racing - apologies for the spelling), strongly recommends injectors before a fueling box. Paraphrasing Ron's explanation, injectors are like a restrictor nozzle at the end of a high pressure hose. Turning up the pressure on the hose without changing the flow restriction on the end puts more stress on the entire system. Rather than turn up the pressure, reduce the restriction on the end of the hose. This still gives you a higher fueling rate without added stress on the fuel delivery system. Then if you ever add a fueling box, the delivery system can handle the higher pressure because there is less restriction.

That is kind of a rudementary explanation, but I think you get the basic principle. Anyway, I think your odds of getting better mileage are much higher with injectors than a fueling box. Of course, if you start driving like Mario Andretti, all fuel efficiency gains will be lost anyway.
Well, I must say I am surprised to here words like that coming from a reputable shop like Janetty.......The VP44 does not create the pressure in the system - just the flow. The pop-off pressure set on the injector is what dictates the system pressure. The VP44 in no way varies the pressure that is sent to the injector. To suggest tha a larger injector is somehow easier on the pump seems incorrect. Remember, the VP44 is a fuel bypass/return type of pump. Extra fuel that is not used is sent back to the tank......it is designed to meter the proper amount of fuel volume to the injectors in any condition and return the remainder. Injection pressures stay consistent regardless of the operating condition or the injector size used.

Also, better mileage can be had two different ways.....more aggressive timing advance and a better atomizing injector......both the Comp and/or EZ and RV275's can provide a mileage increase.......it is, however difficult to not use some of the extra power they provide which is counter-productive to a mileage increase.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by duallydave
shop around.and look for a used one.i got my comp used for 350can.{285us}theres some in the classifieds here.
JMO, but I would rather have a used one, preferably made 02 or earlier. Cheaper...and you very rarely hear of them having to be sent back for trouble shooting.
Since being Mfg in China, or so I read, many have not worked correctly when new. I have heard of some being sent back 3 or 4 times.

I've had 2 EZ's...one new in 02 and one VERY used since 2000. Both have worked perfectly. Both were marked "Made in America". Maybe they still say that if their assembled here (curcuit boards mfg in China)...anyone know?
RJ
Old 08-04-2005, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by CTD NUT
Well, I must say I am surprised to here words like that coming from a reputable shop like Janetty.......The VP44 does not create the pressure in the system - just the flow. The pop-off pressure set on the injector is what dictates the system pressure. The VP44 in no way varies the pressure that is sent to the injector. To suggest tha a larger injector is somehow easier on the pump seems incorrect. Remember, the VP44 is a fuel bypass/return type of pump. Extra fuel that is not used is sent back to the tank......it is designed to meter the proper amount of fuel volume to the injectors in any condition and return the remainder. Injection pressures stay consistent regardless of the operating condition or the injector size used.

Also, better mileage can be had two different ways.....more aggressive timing advance and a better atomizing injector......both the Comp and/or EZ and RV275's can provide a mileage increase.......it is, however difficult to not use some of the extra power they provide which is counter-productive to a mileage increase.
I will admit that I may have mistaken his point in his statements. I want to be very careful to say that this was my understanding of his explanation, and not necessarily an accurate representation of what Ron said. I may need to go find the source document. It has been a little while since I read it.

And now that you mention it, it doesn't really make sense the way I explained it, because I believe the Edge boxes actually increase the duration of the fuel burst, as well as changing the time of the fuel burst (advancing it), rather than increasing line pressure.

I can say that Ron Janetty seemed to strongly preferred the idea of injectors as a first mod over a fueling box, and his recommendations for modding were definitely injectors before fueling box. And his explanation definitely stated something to the affect that he did not like the idea of trying to push more fuel through a small injector.

I also stand by my statement that tapping the pump wire with an Edge Comp is a good way to find out if you will get to buy a new VP44 in the near future.

As far an Edge box increasing mileage, it is possible, but from my limited experience, and from what I have gleaned off of this forum, and TDR, it seems to be pretty uncommon. A mileage increase from the RV275 injectors seems to be more common. I definitely would not say that you should count on a mileage gain from any performance mod. I have never seen one. But I think the odds are better with injectors than the box.

Frankly, neither myself, or any of my local buddies that have any mods have ever seen a sustained mileage increase. Every time any of us see any type of performance increase, it seems to be accompnaied by an immediate and proportional gain in the weight of our right foot.

CTD NUT,

Thanks for calling me on this, seriously. I like to share my opinions here, but I do not want to present misinformation.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Chapter President

thecatsfan,

You make some good points but I do disagree on some of them....it is all in good fun....after all, I enjoy a good and eduactional debate, too. The only thing that dictates the flow rate of the injector is the size and quantity of spray holes. Since the VP44 cannot change the injector pressure, it is not capable of changing the fuel flow to the injector. You can't simply push more fuel through a given injector if the pop-off pressure remains constant. The fueling boxes can only change the timing and duration, not ultimate flow. If higher fuel flow is desired, the injector must be changed to one that flows more fuel. The flow rate on the injector should have no effect bad or good, in relation to the life of the VP44. As to the wire tap box, IMO, it will simply precipitate an existing problem on a bad VP44 - not cause it.

FWIW, I have not experienced any mileage increase after I installed the Comp.....but I don't have a loss, either......The mileage does appear to be consistent but with the added benefit of quite a bit more torque.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by thecatsfan

Actually what TED JANNETTY said, was:

Step 5 - Injectors: The device that delivers the fuel to the cylinder under high pressure and breaks the fuel in to the finest mist possible, it also determines spray pattern and has a very strong effect on emissions, power and fuel economy.

To explain in simple terms is not easy but here goes:
There is a spray nozzle with several holes, usually 4 to 6, inside this nozzle there is a pintle that covers these holes and is held down with a heavy spring. The opening pressures on average are around 4000 psi to lift the pintle off of the seat and allow fuel to pass through the injector. The high pressure, very precise holes and sharp edges are what atomizes the fuel, so it can mix with the air.

These are next on my list for many reasons. We do not like to push more fuel through a small injector because it retards timing, puts undue stress on the injection pump, and limits performance. The bigger injectors will allow more fuel flow delivered in shorter duration, effectively advancing timing, cleaner combustion, less stress on the injector pump, and usually better fuel economy.

There are several to choose from
Quoted from: http://www.dieselram.com/reviews/properorder.htm

Quick Reply: Edge, Superchips, Van Aaken and the gang!