Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Edge Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge

Hello every one. I have a question and in know you all will know it.

I was given an edge ez comp box, the box was pulled out of a wrecked tow truck. some of the wires where cut so i went to the edge head quarters. They sold me a new wiring kit, but it was for a 2001 and i have a 99. I took it back and they traded me wires. I talked to my cuz and he said that it was off of a 2001 truck. So i was wondering if that is going to cause a problem. I was able to hook it up, but i didnt put in the boost elbow, and do i need to? I also didnt didn't tap the wire. I just hooked it up today on my way to work and i dont want to mess anything up.

I do have some one hunting for gauges for me and hope to have them this week.

Thanks in advance for you help...

Who
Old 06-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Muted User

someone please give me an edge box! i've heard as long as you don't tap that wire it acts like an EZ. you should be fine. don't know about that boost elbow, someone else will answer that one.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:43 PM

You need to buy a boost elbow and get the gauges. Make sure your lift pump is operating properly @ 15psi idle and 12psi going down the road. If you have not tapped your VP44 wire then your Edge Comp box is acting as an Edge EZ box. No worries like this.

Depending on your transmission you may need to do some upgrades. If you have an automatic 47RE then you will need to do some build up on it. If you have the NV4500 5-sp the clutch may hold for a bit but more then likely once you have that Edge Comp box on 5x5 you'll slip it and need a high performance clutch.

The bombing begins.....

-CM
Old 06-30-2004, 04:20 PM

You guys are great. Thank you for the quick responce. I am getting the gauges i hope by the end of the week. I have the elbow, and from what you said i should be ok to install it. I do have a question, what does the elbow do? This should be the last question as well. What do I need to do too the transmission? It is the auto. I have 58,000 on the truck. Is it some thing I need to do right away?

Thanks again every one, you are all a big help for a "NEWBIE" like me..

Who
Old 06-30-2004, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Edge

Originally posted by who's ram
some of the wires where cut so i went to the edge head quarters. They sold me a new wiring kit, but it was for a 2001 and i have a 99.
Who
Isn't it great having Edge in our backyard.

Did you tell Edge that it was off a 2001 and you wanted to put it on a 1999?

I though it was a different program for those two years?

I could be wrong though, been known to happen.

phox
Old 06-30-2004, 05:58 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
The boost elbow will keep you from setting an Over-Boost code in the PCM/ECM.
I've been running my '99 for two years with a Non-wire Comp and lovin every minute of it.
It's a nice Kick-in-the-pants over a stock truck.
PS: Get some gauges.

Ed
Old 06-30-2004, 10:31 PM
Muted User

Boost elbow lets you build more boost by restricting the flow of air to the wastegate actuator. if you didn't want to run the elbow just plug the hose. You wont oversping your 35 with just a comp box.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:39 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My EZ box says 1998 1/2 to 2000.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:41 AM

Thumbs up EDGE rocks

Long Post sorry!!!

So here I am again. I posted yesterday asking about an EDGE comp box. I will try and sum up the story.

I have a 99, and my cusion traded me an EDGE Comp box (his truck got wrecked) and so before they took it he pulled the box out. Well needless to say he had to cut the wires to get it out. So I get the box from him and went to Edge to get a new set of wires. Well i have a 99 and that is what they gave me but the box was out of a 2001. So after asking around there seems to be some confusion on my end. The box works and seems fine, but I have only had it in one day. So I wrote to EDGE and they said that it is no suppose to work that way. Is that right? at the top of the manual it says from 1998.5 to 2002, so I am still confussed. Has any one else experianced this? Do I have to have a 99 specific box?

I do have to give "props" to EDGE they are so great to work with. So thank you EDGE and Aaron from EDGE he is great.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:59 PM

I am back to this subject again. Well needless to say, the 2001 box was not right for the truck, so some money and a trade and now i have the right box. I now have the over boost code. I Have searched on here, but cant find a good way to get rid of it. I have the p234 and p236 codes, has any one got rid of these codes before?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Banned

If there is a autozone nearby take it to them they will reset the codes for free. Did you get the boost elbow you will need the extra air for all that fuel not to mention guages pyro boost fuel pressure and tranny temp if you have a auto that box has alot of power with wiretap you need to monitor the vitals good luck you can call if you have questions
Old 01-06-2005, 11:18 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
First off, I think its great that you got this for free but I dont understand why he had to cut any wires? These boxs have connectors for easy install/removal. Now I dont know year for year what Edge did to their boxs so maybe '99 has a different timing map than the newer years but if not all you'll need is some new wires that are for your application. Edge would know this best, of course. As for the boost elbow, all it does is restrict the pressure that the wastegate canister feels so you get more boost to keep the EGT's down to compensate for the added power. It doesnt stop all pressure, just restricts it so your wastgate still functions. Even though you wont overspin the turbo with just a Comp by eliminating your wastgate, more boost doesnt mean more power. The elbow does not stop over boost codes. The Comp has a built in boost fooler that allows you to build more boost without tripping codes.