Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Edge Product's help

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Product's help

Hey guys new to this forum and new to performance upgrades to my 01 2500 cummins.

OK with that said I bought a Edge Comp 5 level module. Here is the kicker I have it all installed and when you key the truck on the module will not power up. ok i know you are going to say well it must not have power and it does. I have talked with Edge and I swaped both the harness and the module. Still with the same results. As long as you run the truck until it warms up and shut if off and restart it then and only then will the module come on. That is when it is cold in the mornings or it has been sitting until cold again. When it is warm out side meaning warmer than say mid fiftys it will come right on. Have any of you heard or know what is going on with this thing? I think it may have something to do with the intake air heater or maybe even the fuel heater.

Any help you be great thanks
Bob
Old 11-27-2006, 03:00 AM

Where is it grounded and where did u tap in for power?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:11 AM

I put the ground on the same post the the intake heater uses on the air intake elbow and I pulled power from the # 17 fuse just like they wanted. I did plug the truck in last night for the first time since I did the install and with the block and every hting warm it came right on. ??? I think I will try am put the ground in a diferent place.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bob - Welcome to the DTR!
Always best to run the ground direct to the battery... when possible.
Did that with my FASS fuel pump and it solved a finicky, intermittant problem!

RJ
Old 11-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Banned

that sounds more like a bad solder joint on the circuit board or a cracked trace on the board. good luck
Old 11-27-2006, 09:54 AM

Duner
what circuit board are you talking about?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Banned

well, i was refering to the one in the module itself but after re-reading you initial post i see you've already covered that base. sorry, put a few miles on this weekend and must be groggy.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:15 AM

Bob, mine does the same thing. I also have done the same 2 different harness and boxs. I grounded mine to the neg post on the battery, I tapped the same fuse also. I have found that if i cycle the key on and off 1 or 2 times it will come on. Edge did seem to know why it does that.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:55 AM

Wheeler
Yeah I have talked to them and no one there can tell me anything. If you have yours grounded to the battery doesn't sound like that will help me either. I have notice if I cycle the key sometime it will come on other times it won't. It sounds as if it will be something to deal with!!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:50 AM

Hey guys I did a little playing around with this and found that if and when it is cold if you unplug the power wire and plug it right back in this they will come on every time. I was thinking of just placing an on off switch in line to just break power for that first start up. I know everyone is thinking that it doesn't have power when you try and start it cold but it does. Why pulling power and putting it right back works is something I can't tell you. It must be something in the Comp box it's self.

Bob
Old 12-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Banned

I'll tell ya Bob, I wouldn't put the switch in there for the first start up like you were saying.....just because you paid a lot of money for a box that should work. If you have the power on the fuse and the ground on the neg terminal of the battery, the problem is in the box, or you have another component of the box system shorted out or something (something crossed other than the power or ground). It may be a bad design on the processor supervisory circuit or something that doesn't like the cold weather. I'd work with Edge to find one that works. You shouldn't have to design a fix for someone else's products! If it was a $10 box from Radio Shack, maybe. Sounds like they have a component or chip in the box that doesn't like the cold temps. Good luck. Keep us posted!
Old 12-05-2006, 01:15 PM

Same thing happened to me and I thought it was my autostart. I sent the Edge Comp away and it was all good now. It was a bad solder joint on the Edge Comp's circuit board. Although I don't run the Edge no more, that was the problem. Hope you still have warranty. Here in Canada, the Edge/BD Diesel customer service is out of this world. Ann is excellent and everybody else there is extremely helpful. I'm guessing you live in the USA.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:24 PM

Bob I just got off the phone with a not to happy person with edge. he told me that it was almost imposable that they sent me two boxes with the same problem and that I need to check my installtion. After 10min of explaining that they sent me the wrong box back(comp for a drag) and then sent me a new box with a new wiring harness, and that the box i sent in to get checked worked on startup at least and in ez mode. He gave me a return number to check this one out. "They also have never heard of this problem".
Old 12-05-2006, 04:56 PM

Well Guys I have talked with a guy named Jared at Edge 115. Sounds like he knows if stuff. He hasn't heard this problem yet! I explianed to him I have tried two boxes and two wiring harnesses. He said didn't think that is was a problem with either one since I tried two and still have the same problem. I brought up the idea of a 12v switch he said to give it a shot. Long story short they don't know what is wrong and the way I look at is if the switch works I will keep it. If it doesn't I will return it and but something else!!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:17 PM

Try switching the ground side first. I'd be hesitant about switching anything with voltage. When you do you can create a voltage spike. You could let the magic smoke out of your pretty expensive box. Trust me the smoke is hard to put back in.

Quick Reply: Edge Product's help