Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Edge Juice w/attitude:does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Juice w/attitude:does it work?

My 2nd post, thanks for having me fellas. So I am the first to admit Im a rookie to diesel, but I have gotten a few things put on my truck. Everything seems to be working OK with the edge EXCEPT the FP and the Boost psi. The FP will hopefully be solved this weekend with the install of the new Airtex style pump. (I have really been taking it easy on the right pedal bc she will drop to zero in no time) I am overall happy with the power it has given me, but I have barely even gotten into it, keeping it on stock most of the time (I have heard horror stories of the infamous VP44 on this forum)

My question is how does the boost work? The highest I have even seen it go was 3 maybe 4 psi? Is this right? The truck has 82k on the clock. Other than that, I would recommend this setup to all new guys. The guages are well worth the $.

Thanks to all who run and help out on this forum. It really helps us newbies out
Old 01-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The vp44 needs a minimum of 8psi, but I won't let mine get below 10psi. If you are seeing less than 8, I wouldn't start the truck. You will see probably 30-35psi boost with that Edge Juice.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:19 PM

no u should see more then that even in stock takeing it easy. i see 8 to 10 with my XZT+ off takeing it easy. lots of choices here first id get that pump chaned then if no inprovment start looking for a boost leak
Old 01-31-2008, 07:57 AM
Banned

Yea I didnt think it was good to go that low. The instruction manual says 4 psi min when wot and 10 at idle. I guess this is a little low. Hopefully this new pump works.....
thx for the reply
Old 01-31-2008, 08:05 AM

I have a juice with attitude and my boost only gets to 28 psi if i push her hard!!!!!! (with the chip turned on) well actually my fuel psi drops before i really give it a chance to build boost....... but i did order a fass today so that should take care of my fuel psi
Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 AM

I love mine but Im in the same boat fuel drops to 2 or 3 psi in no time but i got an airdog on the way. It does throw some power though, I likey a bunch
Old 01-31-2008, 12:37 PM

If you have an edge juice and a stock turbo there should still be black smoke out the pipe at WOT at full boost and edge on 5. If your exhaust clears up with edge on 5 and a stock turbo then you should be looking at a new VP44. I went through that problem. Low boost for what I have and my exh. cleared up with 32psi boost (all I could get) which is low for my turbo and fuel add ons. Changed my VP44 and I can't clear up the exh. with 45psi boost. Actually getting everything out of my edge. MUCH more power. Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Banned

yea freddy i get plenty of smoke even on like level 3. i am gonna give edge a call and see if they have any suggestions. freddy do you have an upgraded turbo to get that much psi?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:29 PM

In my sig you'll see that I've installed a super B turbo from BD. This turbo spools at about 1300rpm so it's great for anything. You can get it for about $1400. They have a full price list at www.bddieselperformance.com if you want to check it out.

Back to your problem. Even if your vp is shot it will dump smoke initially but as your rpm gets up around 2000 and higher where you'll have full boost it will clear up. But, if it is still dumpin' the black out at high rpm WOT with edge turned up then your vp is working fine. Your stock turbo should give you around 30psi max. If you don't get over 25psi boost with edge on 5 at WOT in a high gear between 2000 and 3000rpm then I would be looking for a boost leak. Check your hose clamps on your intercooler tubes right from the turbo to the air horn.
What is the highest boost you've seen so far and under what conditions?
Also, if any of that didn't make sense to you just fire the questions back at us. There are no dumb questions.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:26 AM

So freddy do you suggest a fuel pump up grade with the edge. I just got my edge haven't installed it yet wondering if I need to put an extra supply pump in line. already replaced supply pump and injection pump
Old 02-01-2008, 12:38 AM

Hey Redog I Would Replace Your Supply Pump As You Are And Then Drive It And Check The Boost. If You Fuel Pressure Is Not Correct Then The Vp44 Pump Will Not Supply The Correct Fuel Needed And Will Also Greatly Affect Boost. A Stock Replacement Pump Will Be Suffcient Enough How Ever Definetly Recomend A Upgraded Pump. Sooner Or Later The Stock Replacement Pump Will Fail Again.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by wise_cummins
So freddy do you suggest a fuel pump up grade with the edge. I just got my edge haven't installed it yet wondering if I need to put an extra supply pump in line. already replaced supply pump and injection pump
I would install your edge to see what your fuel pressure is running at but I'm sure you will be able to push it below min. spec with an edge. You need a minimum of 10psi at idle and 4psi at WOT. If you drop below these pressures you need a pusher pump so you don't take out your vp. But, because of the short life of the stock supply pump I would recommend a pusher pump in the future even if your pressures meet spec. There are lots out there so you can shop around but my BD pusher pump was easy to install and I am very pleased with it. Ran me $500. Pretty cheap compared to replacing vp.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Banned

Thanks freddy for all the great info. Tomorrow I got off work, so I am putting the pump in and a new fuel filter. I will let yall know how well this replacement for the carter junk works. I would do way more upgrades, but this diesel stuff is not a cheap hobby and the bank is low..... Maybe I should just stick with my Nitro RC race trucks....
Old 02-03-2008, 03:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If all you see is 5psi boost then either you have a boost leak(truck will smoke like crazy and feel like a dog) or something itsn't hooked up right. Stock without the Juice you should be able to hit 15psi easily.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:14 PM

i have to figure out why im not showing any boost. i can feel it but it does not register. im getting no codes and i had my module and display replaced.

Quick Reply: Edge Juice w/attitude:does it work?