Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

edge EZ worth it or not need some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edge EZ worth it or not need some feedback

I was looking in to the edge EZ tuner and wondering if any of you guys out there could tell me if you think it is worth it and if you have had any problems with injector pumps or not. All i have right now is 4 inch exhaust and cold air intake. Just wondering how much noticeable hps.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:00 PM

If you plan on going w/ more mods in the future, skip the EZ and go for the Edge Comp. Nothing against the EZ, but it seems like everyone that went that route wanted more and ended up w/ a Comp...

Tony
Old 10-04-2004, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boils down to pierce the wire or not. If you don't plan on piercing the wire, you will love the EZ.

I would like one day to get a comp but only so that I can shut off the extra fuel at will. I will never pierce the pump wire.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:09 PM

I'm new with the tuners and all so what are you talking about when you say "piercing the wire"
Old 10-04-2004, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I added an EZ to my truck and it's one of the best things that I've done. I have no intention in making a "hot rod" out of my truck, nor do I want to have to spend 2-4K on a trans that will survive behind a more heavily bombed engine. The low end pulling power is obvious with the EZ and has been, for my use, the perfect power adder.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by torquedcummins
I'm new with the tuners and all so what are you talking about when you say "piercing the wire"
Edge products aren't "tuners".

They are plug in, and leave plugged in boxes.

EZ is mainly a timing box, plugs in under the hood and resides there, is always "on".

Comp is a timing and fueling box,
plugs in under the hood and pierces the injection pump wire to provide even more HP.
The box itself resides in the cab,
where you can adjust the amount of HP (5 levels) and preboost fueling to control smoke (5 sublevels).

Both plug into the Data port and MAP sensor, both under the hood.

Tuners plug in, load a new program into the ECM, then unplug.
They do this through the OBD port under the steering wheel in the cab.

Hope that clears up some confusion.

phox
Old 10-04-2004, 09:30 PM

Thanks for clearing that up there and for the comments
Old 10-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Numbers went from 198 and 383 to 240 and 536 just installing the EZ. Took about five minutes.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:25 PM

I have an EZ on my truck. It's a noticeable difference over stock and won't scrooge up your clutch. My brother has an Edge Comp(identical trucks otherwise) with an SBC and it will destroy my truck in a race or pullin'. It depends on what you want to achieve with your set-up?? You can always run the Comp as an EZ without 'piercing the wire'.

With the EZ(stock for that matter) I'd recommend gauges... fuel pressure for sure just to monitor the lift pump to avoid an injection pump problem.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:08 AM

Phox

Great explanation...but disagree on one small point.

Ez does both...timing & fueling. Can't gain 50-60 hp without more fuel. See Here.
http://www.edgeproductsinc.com/dodge_ISB.html
Any doubts about fueling on an EZ-just set it on level 3 and watch low boost smoke.

Torquedcummins...I know no EZ user that ever had a complaint, other than wanting more at a later date. It's a great first upgrade and with box stacking on the rise, should be easily resold in the future should you outgrow it. I have never heard of any IP problems resulting from use of an EZ.

RJ
Old 10-05-2004, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
See my signature for BHP and torque results produced with an EZ and medium-sized injectors (Diesel Dynamics Stage 2's). The power characteristics with this combination make an excellent towing rig. Lots of torque down low (thanks to the EZ), but HP doesn't fall off at the top (thanks to the bigger injectors).

As others have said, it depends what you will be using the truck for. If you're looking for an all-out drag racer, the EZ isn't your box. If you want a relatively safe increase in low and mid-range power that you can feel with the seat of your pants without requiring a lot of other mods, you'll be very satisfied with the EZ.

Rusty
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 AM

RustyJC,
Did you do your SBC mod when you did the Edge and injector mod, or did you run the stock clutch with the Edge and injectors for a while? Just wondering about the stock clutch slipping.

Thanks,
~Rob
Old 10-05-2004, 11:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The stock clutch held fine with the EZ, BHAF and Jardine 4" exhaust. Subsequently, MDW and I installed the DD2s one morning, and my wife managed to slip the clutch at 1800 RPM in 5th gear that afternoon! In went the South Bend Con OFE.

Rusty
Old 10-05-2004, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the info Rusty. I will be looking at installing the Edge EZ when my warranty runs out (not yet ready to be my own warranty station). My main concern was the stock clutch, sounds like I should be okay if I leave the injectors alone (injectors are not in my plans anyway, just gauges, an exhaust, then EZ)

~Rob
Old 10-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put the EZ on my stock 99 auto and found that I could slip the TC in OD if I was heavy on the throttle from about 50mph when running empty (not towing). I did a TC and VB upgrade before I towed the 5er and then towed down to GA over the same stretch of I-85. Man!!......... What a difference!
My fuel mileage went up and I never had to drop out of OD in the places where I did when stock. The EZ added the torque I needed to maintain my speeds and the new trans parts put the torque to the ground instead of slushin around in the automatic. The only other mod I intend on, is adding some mild injectors,,,,, probably the EDM 1.5's.

Quick Reply: edge EZ worth it or not need some feedback