Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Edge EZ..... what else do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edge EZ..... what else do I need?

Alright, gauges are on the way so I can keep tabs on EGT, boost, & tranny temp. The next thing I'm looking at is an Edge EZ. As many before me, the mods will have to come in stages so here my question. Will the Edge EZ perform well without any other mods? I think I will go with a Scotty Air II when it comes time to address the intake. Should I get the Scotty II before I put the EZ on? Anything more than just the EZ will have to wait until after I can afford to upgrad the auto tranny. Thanks for your input....
Old 01-20-2004, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the ez works great with injectors but for the extra money buythe comp run it in ez mode if you don't want to pierce the wire and that will give you an upgrade later you already paid for.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:05 PM

I guess it depends on where you want to end up. As More Power states, you can get a Comp, not pierce the wire, and have another upgrade in the waiting when you are ready - ie tranny work done.

This is where I am at. I got the Drag Comp and have not tapped the wire. When the new clutch goes in, the wire gets tapped, and I have gotten two upgrades.

Price should be factored in, as my Drag Comp was more than an EZ, but then again, I wanted more in the end.

Another thing to consider, is that you could get the EZ and stack it with a fueling box later. Decisions decisons...

Matt
Old 01-20-2004, 06:29 PM

Most guys start off with an EZ and then want more power in a matter of days after installing it....
Old 01-20-2004, 06:51 PM

Talking

Get the EZ Comp. I just pierced the wire and WOW , A big difference. Finally got the go I've been looking for.

Gene007
WarWagon
Old 01-20-2004, 08:06 PM

Ok, everybody seems to keep skirting around the questions and offering up their opinions on different matters... which is great, the info is appreciated, but I'm also looking for the answers to the questions asked. So let me re-phrase....

I will be using this truck to haul my junk to the trails.... I'm looking for about 325 to 350 hp total, but not all at once since tranny mods would be needed. I'm not into drag racing and I don't need to pull my load at insane speeds. I have 2.5 years and 55k miles left on my warranty and don't want to tap the wire and void the warranty, so a comp box would just sit there acting like an EZ for 2.5 more years.

So, if I just put an EZ on the truck (or even if it was an untapped Comp box), should I do intake mods first? later? doesn't matter? do them at the same time?

After the tranny mods are made, I can look into injectors, exhaust, etc.

Thanks for the info and opinions......
Old 01-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Administrator

First, the answers.

IMHO, intake mods won't really be required with just the EZ.

Install your guages first (sounds like you are going to) then you'll have a baseline to start from.

Take note of the EGT, if it is getting hot alot, then intake mods will be needed.

If getting really hot, then an exhaust system will be in order as well.
Not only do you need to get the cool air in, but you also need to get the hot air out.

Again, most likely not required with just the EZ.

Most have reported that the transmission keeps going with the EZ, as long as you don't abuse it.

The EZ will be a nice little kick, putting the truck closer to where it should have been from the factory.

If you're sure you won't be doing anything else for 2.5 years, go with just the EZ.
I think thats the first time I've said that, I usually say go with the Comp and don't pierce the wire yet.
Who knows what will be availabe 2 years down the road, maybe the Comp will be outdated and replaced with something better, and possibly cheaper.

Now the opinions.

As many have said time and time again, once you start you won't be able to stop.
You'll get used to the EZ and want more.

phox
Old 01-20-2004, 08:31 PM

You dont have to drag race to appreciate the extra power of an Edge Comp. This box adds 40 to 120 HP - which will put you right in the range of what you are looking for. I personally like the Comp as it is adjustable, even more so when the pump wire is pierced. Your stock trans will not take much more power than an EZ (approx 65 hp).

First, you need to install guages before you do anything. With any fueling box, you should also change the intake to provide the extra airflow to go with the extra fuelling. After that, a 4 inch exhaust will likely be needed - will also be necessary if you want to add bigger injectors as well.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:33 PM

Thanks.....
Old 01-21-2004, 07:39 AM

I think Phox gave you the best answer, but when I stated I had got the go I've always wanted in my earlier post I'm not talking about just drag racing. I pull a 30' party barge, full cab, carries over 100 gal fuel and all the camping goodies. This acts like a heavy drag chute. I love the added power of the comp. Also I'm turning 52 next month and just got tired of waiting for the warranty to run out on my time. If something happens then I'll use my dime Good luck with your mods

Gene007
WarWagon
Old 01-21-2004, 03:14 PM
j

i too started off w/the ez and was planning on injectors next as i already had the bhaf. problem is, when i hooked up the ez, my tranny immidiately started showing signs of slipping. i babied it for about a year then realized the tranny would need help before i could do anything else. once the tranny was done i could feel the power that i was losing with the tranny slipping. you'll be happy with the ez's performance, but if you tow much, you'll be fixing the tranny before you do more upgrades.. that being said, once the tranny gets taken care of, you'll want more power.