Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Edge EZ Off Switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge EZ Off Switch

Some time ago, I talked about switching off the EZ for smoother driving and less smoke in traffic with my heavy camper. Aaron at Edge said I could probably do it by cutting a wire (I forget what he called it) and putting a switch in it, but that it'd turn on the "check engine" light. Didn't want that too bad, so wired in a 3 pole, double throw relay with 12 vdc coil for all 3 wires. Aaron stopped answering emails then, and not sure why, but I went ahead anyway. The thing works great, and the truck is much smoother leaving a light now, with about 1/4 the smoke as before, but it sets the check engine light anyway. So.........if you don't mind the light being on, and find that your truck doesn't like traffic lights too much, then wire in that switch. I'll see if I can attach a 4 part picture I made up that shows the switch in the ashtray compartment, the relay, the wiring, and the finished job. Lar.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:06 PM

Re:Edge EZ Off Switch

Let's try that attachment again................
Old 10-09-2003, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only disappointment with the EZ was losing some roll off torque when I am loaded heavy and starting on a hill. I am interested, which wires did you switch?
Old 10-09-2003, 11:07 PM

At the rear of the engine, there's 3 wires that're common to the stock setup and the Edge, with only the brown one being strictly to the Edge, so I cut it, and also the blue and the white that go to the front of the engine. I was trying to avoid having the check engine light come on. From what Aaron at Edge said, I think you could get away with just cutting the brown one, 'cause the light comes on anyway. Maybe he'll talk to you. I'm also curious as to what codes it might be setting ?? Lar.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:31 AM

[quote author=biglar link=board=7;threadid=20796;start=0#msg195234 date=1065758863]
At the rear of the engine, there's 3 wires that're common to the stock setup and the Edge, with only the brown one being strictly to the Edge, so I cut it, and also the blue and the white that go to the front of the engine. I was trying to avoid having the check engine light come on. From what Aaron at Edge said, I think you could get away with just cutting the brown one, 'cause the light comes on anyway. Maybe he'll talk to you. I'm also curious as to what codes it might be setting ?? Lar.
[/quote]
If you installed the boost elbow, it's probably an over-boost code set.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:54 AM

Now that you mention it, that's very possible. When the light quits, (how many on-off cycles ??) I'll check that out. How can I make the code go away ?? :-) Instead of the elbow, tho', I use 2 small, strong Cleco spring clamps (for airplane building) to squeeze the tube shut. Much easier to install and remove.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:23 AM

Hey Biglar....what kind of gauge mount is that and where did u get it? ( where your FP gauge is ) Im gonna put a trans temp in soon and I dont have any room on the pillar...
Old 10-10-2003, 10:53 AM

It's a rubber mount from Geno's Garage; part # GM-0076-DONUT.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:12 AM

cool...thanks for the info ;D
Old 10-10-2003, 11:46 AM

[quote author=rattle_rattle link=board=7;threadid=20796;start=0#msg195255 date=1065763882]
[quote author=biglar link=board=7;threadid=20796;start=0#msg195234 date=1065758863]
[/quote]
If you installed the boost elbow, it's probably an over-boost code set.
[/quote]

You're right ! ! ! This morning the light was out, so I played with it some, and switching back and forth brings no light. Also, I said "1/4 the smoke," as a guess, cause I can't see back there too well with the camper on board. Camper's off right now, and with the module "off" there's almost no smoke. With it "on" there's big clouds of it........much more than I realized. Why would there be so much more now, than a year ago ?? Truck has 47,000 miles on it. Lar.