Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Edge EZ installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge EZ installed

Got my edge ez installed today. Man does the ol' girl go now! I'm seeing 29-30psi of boost now and only a slight haze out the tailpipe when I get on it below 1400rpms. Above 1500-1600 it clears right up. Not sure what my egts were, I was catching up to traffic fast and had a hard time keeping an eye on the road and all my gauges at once. Lugged it in 5th and 6th and didnt' have any problems with the clutch slipping....knock on wood So, we'll see how long it'll be till I start jonesing for more power again
Old 03-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Funny, My truck would only hit 20 psi with just an EZ, even after installing 80hp injectors I only hit 25-28 at WOT, But then again when mine was stock it was a dog, I still have not replaced my VP yet (old post) after seeing your posted boost readings, I'm thinking I should replace the VP, I do have 1000$ saved up sitting in the Piggy Bank.
I think I'll start another post about my results
Old 03-02-2008, 06:59 PM

afoulk has an HX35 since he has a 6-speed so he can install the boost elbow in the turbo, nickg, if you installed a j-hook on your HY35 you will be able to see alot more boost. More boost has NOTHING to do with the VP44.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:01 AM

I forgot he had a boost elbow, mine does not have the ability to instal one (steel line) I saw no boost increase until I added injectors. I assumed if my vp was bad I would not be getting the required fuel to make additional boost.
afoulk, any chance you (if you have the boost elbow installed) unhook the EZ and see what your max boost readings are, I just want to see if your higher boost readings are caused by the elbow or the EZ, I suspect more because of the EZ (more fuel)
Old 03-03-2008, 08:27 AM

The edge ez is a good all around chip. I dont think you will run into any problems running just that. I have run them on both of my second gens with no injection pump or clutch issues. Now, stack a power max 3 with that and that thing will fly, but you have to upgrade fuel and clutch.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by nickg
I forgot he had a boost elbow, mine does not have the ability to instal one (steel line) I saw no boost increase until I added injectors. I assumed if my vp was bad I would not be getting the required fuel to make additional boost.
afoulk, any chance you (if you have the boost elbow installed) unhook the EZ and see what your max boost readings are, I just want to see if your higher boost readings are caused by the elbow or the EZ, I suspect more because of the EZ (more fuel)
nickg, do a search on j-hooks, it is a rod that keeps the wastegate shut on the HY35, you will see between 30-35lbs of boost with that upgrade so it won't hurt a thing.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:39 PM

I can try unhooking it and running it when I get time, but I don't think I'll see boost levels above stock. I wasn't seeing any higher egt's or smoke with the 275's. Besides, I think your getting close to the limit of your HY turbo now
On a side note, I already feel like I need more power I'm doing the clutch once I get my tax return, and hopefully, after that, it wont be long till I can afford a Quad Adrenaline. Or maybe I'll go with some Mach 4's first. Decisions, decisions
Old 03-03-2008, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nickg, do a search for turnbuckle. You need more boost for egt control and power. You are not yet seeing the full benefit of your mods if you're wastegate is opening in the 20's.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:36 PM

The EZ is a good chip but I wanted more so I moved up to a drag comp.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:13 AM

I'm waiting to get a tranny now but I got a TST PM3 Comp turned off right now, Smarty which isn't loaded an a Edge EZ After the tranny I forecast Mach 4.5's and a HTT 62/71/14
Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 PM

i added a boost elbow and still only hit 19 pounds of boost it just gets there a lot faster! any comments?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:26 PM

Did you try messing with adjustment of the boost elbow? If so, then maybe you got a defective one like me. I just took it out and plugged the wastegate for now. 20psi was all I could hit before. Once I plugged it, I was getting 29-30psi. I turned the screw all the way in on my elbow, and I could still blow through it with my mouth. I don't think thats normal.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:43 PM

Well, I took the truck out after work today and romped on it a little bit. I gotta say, I'm ready for more power already I guess its all down hill from here
Old 03-05-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It sure is!

Smokinstrokes: try plugging your wastegate port with a 1/8" pipe plug and see if you get more boost.

Honestly, you don't need the wastegate on these trucks unless your seeing more than 35psi or so and need to help the turbo survive.

jmo
Old 03-06-2008, 12:13 AM

So from all I've read 30-35psi is OK on the stock turbo??? I was wrong about my max psi it was closer to 22-23psi(with 80hp injectors) atWOT, but only around 19-20 with just the EZ. Tonight I replaced front pads and rear shoes and drums, and once I was finished I decided to chain the wastegate shut, I had to go to the store for some milk, the roads are snow covered, but I saw boost levels of 32psi, look out larger turbo here I come, hopefully the higher boost numbers will clean up the smoke when I'm hard on the skinny pedal.
I was going to pinch the wastegate line off, but was not sure what my max boost would have been likely I'll end up pinching off that hard line to the wastegate actuator.

Quick Reply: Edge EZ installed