Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Edge Drag Comp vs. TST COMP

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have run the TST Comp, Edge Drag Comp, and the Blue Chip Redline box. I have also stacked the TST and Redline with the Drag Comp. For overall driving I like the Drag Comp the best. For pure racing I think the Redline box maybe the best, but I am still testing it. The TST Comp I liked the least. I lost over .2's at the 1/4 mile, and it is by far the hardest to build boost with, at the line. It's not that it doesn't build boost, it's just much harder to control it to a certain boost. The Redline is the easiest one, because it fuels by throttle position, and not boost.

The TST Comp shudder, would be very hard to live with in a daily driver. I ended up running with it off, most of the time on the street.

The Drag Comp has a much smoother power curve, and it does timing so you don't have to stack it with something else.

Your results may vary, and from what I have seen people with a manual trans seem to like the TST Comp more then people with autos.

Paul
Old 06-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drag comp on 1 with the smarty on 8 makes for a very responsive daily driver. I love my stack and do not envy of the TST shudder at all. The only thing I would sell is my drag for the new quad box, but never the smarty. It will always be on my truck...
Old 06-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

plain and simple, if you want max hp, go with the redline, then the TST comp then the DRAG comp. plain and simple. the TST comp keeps the fuel solinoid open way longer than the DRAG comp. that means more fuel and more hp. no way around it, but yes the DRAG comp is by far the smoothest fueling box on the market, being as the quad box is not yet out.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:11 PM

i like my TSTcomp/VA stack over my edge with add with the hot unlock. feels stronger. i also had a smarty stacked with the edge but all it did was cause it to smoke more. I ended up tradin off the smarty for the TST so i cant say how it stacks with it. I do get the shudder over level 4
Old 06-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by paulb
I lost over .2's at the 1/4 mile, and it is by far the hardest to build boost with, at the line. It's not that it doesn't build boost, it's just much harder to control it to a certain boost. The Redline is the easiest one, because it fuels by throttle position, and not boost.

Paul
wonder y you lost time with the TST? did your DRAG comp out run the TST at the track? i just dont know how the DRAG can make more hp sometimes when the TST keeps the solinoid open way longer than the DRAG does which gives you more fuel and more power. how about the Redline? how do you like that box so far
Old 06-20-2007, 08:50 PM

What kind of egts are guys with stock injectors and turbos seeing with the TST 9 at WOT. Also has anyone run DDP stage 3 injectors in their truck.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Banned

with stock injectors and stock turbo, i was able to get up to 1350 or so. ran pretty hot but then again, that TST comp is alot of fueling
Old 06-20-2007, 08:59 PM

ok, i've never done anything with the jumpers on my EZ, and i smoke like a chimney, what are these jumpers and do i need to change it?

capn
Old 06-20-2007, 09:06 PM

Wont the TST pm3 with the competition programming alow further rpm-age??? (near 4k??) I would love to pull gears longer and further along with the extra UHMP!! thanks just wondering!
TNutcher
Old 06-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Banned

i take mine to 3600 but i have hit 3800 quit a few times.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by TNutcher
Wont the TST pm3 with the competition programming alow further rpm-age??? (near 4k??) I would love to pull gears longer and further along with the extra UHMP!! thanks just wondering!
TNutcher
The programming itself will allow fueling past 4K but you'll still need the top end work to make it usable...
Old 06-20-2007, 11:42 PM

My tst comp only fuels to 3400

I think it was last year Timmy Barber did some testing with a smarty, redline, tst (comp?), and drag comp and the drag comp made more power by itself than any stack.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by inline6power
wonder y you lost time with the TST? did your DRAG comp out run the TST at the track? i just dont know how the DRAG can make more hp sometimes when the TST keeps the solinoid open way longer than the DRAG does which gives you more fuel and more power. how about the Redline? how do you like that box so far
The Drag Comp was over .2's quicker in the 1/4 mile then the TST Comp. Peak hp, isn't as important as the average hp over the operating range. I'm running between 2700 and 3100rpm during the 1/4 mile pass. RPM's over 3100 are not important to me, because it never gets there.

Going to high on the solenoid duty cycle, can actually hurt hp. The Redline box will allow you to go to 100% duty cycle. On the dyno, I make more peak hp at 100% (not much more, but a little), then I do at 80%, but in the 1/4 mile, I will run quicker at 80%. The hp curve on the dyno at 80% is flatter then at 100%. 80% on the Redline has almost a perfectly flat curve, from about 2500 rpm, until I lift at 3500rpm.

I like the Redline box at the drag strip. No doubt about it. However on the street I prefer the Drag Comp. Anything above about 40% on the Redline, will set a bunch of codes, and turn on the engine light. The drag comp on 5x5 is pretty equal to the Redline at ~75%, even though the drag comp is using ~68% (best I can tell). The drag comp never depletes the VP44 rotor of fuel (no shudder). So far though I am more consistent with the Drag Comp. Need more time with the Redline...

Having said all that. No two trucks are created equal. This is just how my truck reacts to the different boxes, and how I like my truck to drive. And yes... Consistency is much more important to me then fast E.T.'s. As much as I like going fast, I like winning better!

Paul
Old 06-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Banned

very nice write up paul. thank you
Old 06-21-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems as if 100% duty cycle must inject fuel too late and or starve the next injection pulse of fuel. Almost like running too much fuel for my stock turbo, i could add Mach 6's but I'll bet it would only net me 10 more HP.

Quick Reply: Edge Drag Comp vs. TST COMP