Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Edge Comp wire tap

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Edge Comp wire tap

I'm missing something....The directions tell me to hook up the tap, but I read of many of you who haven't "tapped"
Why?
Will the tap be too much for my rig?
Will it be OK if I used level 1 or 2 towing, with the tap?

I'm learning a lot just reading the posts, even the ones that don't seem to apply to me!! Thanks for all the info.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tap that wire!!! The Comp will be stuck in EZ mode which limits the power gain to level 1 only, though, the sub levels will still be active if the wire is not tapped. You will not be realizing anywhere near the potential of the Comp if the wire isn't tapped. I see you have a fuel pressure gauge so you can monitor fuel pressures and ensure they stay in the safe zone.....I would suggest a Scotty Smartfuel kit to drastically lengthen the life of the LP and add a significant performance gain to the LP. Be aware that a Comp on 5x5 may push the limits of the stock auto - especially when towing.....tranny mods WILL be in your future but sensible use of the Comp does go a long way. I love my Comp and would not trade it for any other box! Unless of course somebody wanted to trade a Bluechip FMS for my Comp!
Old 09-13-2005, 04:49 PM

I haven't tapped because I'm still under warranty.

But soon I'll have Blue Chip pump cover
Old 09-13-2005, 06:38 PM

I tapped the wire when I got mine and you just cant help but see what happens on 3.3 or higher and my trans started to slip, it will find your weeeeeeek link.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HiJenks
I'm missing something....The directions tell me to hook up the tap, but I read of many of you who haven't "tapped"
Why?
Will the tap be too much for my rig?
Will it be OK if I used level 1 or 2 towing, with the tap?

I'm learning a lot just reading the posts, even the ones that don't seem to apply to me!! Thanks for all the info.
1998.5 is very iffy on surviving the tap.

If it is the original VP44, then personally, I wouldn't tap.
If has been replaced, then the chances are pretty good it will survive the tap and live long perhaps even prosper.

I'd save up pennies till I had at least $1k in case the VP44 goes TU after the tap.

phox
Old 09-14-2005, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yarddog
I haven't tapped because I'm still under warranty.

But soon I'll have Blue Chip pump cover
covering the wire just hides it if they look in the engine bay, but what happens if they hook up the compter doesnt that tell them that theres a bypass in the system ? ?
Old 09-14-2005, 07:08 AM
Chapter President

Nothing is bypassed in regards to the VP44. The wire tap is a piggy back arrangement......the Comp does not operate as an in-line system or a bypass for the ECM. The MAP sensor signal does get washed through Comp before going to the ECM, though.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Banned

Running the comp on anything above level two with the wire tapped will damage your transmission. Especially if your towing.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:29 PM

Thanks for all the info...
Phox Mulder Was the 98.5 a weaker pump or just the age that is bad, I've figured that the pump would be a problem next year because I'll be towing a lot, saving $$ already.
CTD Nut & Big Blue....I guess I better double the $$ and prepare for a Tranny, I'm going to tap and try to keep my foot out of it!!

Thanks again
Old 09-15-2005, 12:00 AM
Banned

Good luck trying to keep your foot out of it. The power from a comp even in EZ mode is VERY, VERY, VERY addicting. It's comparable to heroine. The 98.5's had a lot of mechanical problems and were known to fail very early with the wire tapped. A lot failed without any modification at all.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:02 AM
Chapter President

IMO, at this state in the game you would be very hard pressed to find a 98.5 with the original VP44 on it - it is too old and the first generation 0f VP's had a few serious issues that would typically not make them last this long. There have been many updates since the first 24vtrucks rolled of the line that corrected the tolerance issues within the pump.......I highly doubt you will find a 98.5 today that will have some lingering VP44 issues as the result of it having the original VP44.....tap that wire!!!
Old 09-15-2005, 06:13 AM
Banned

Man I can't wait till warranty expires, i have a friend with a 02 truck that has the wire tapped and the difference is huge.

Steve

I'm not sure i am going to make it till march.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Banned

I personally don't understand why you would by the COMP and not tap the wire. Its like buying a set of twin turbos and only using one!!! Seems kinda silly to me. If you all are worried about the VP's and tranny's, why bother doing any performance upgrades at all??
Old 09-15-2005, 02:21 PM

I bought mine and didnt tap the wire because of warranty reasons and not wanting to buy a new trans right now.....but in a year or so when I am out of warranty and have a built trans it will be tapped. Just cheaper to buy it first then to buy and ez then sell it and buy a comp next..... Plus I like the option of turning it off if I don't want to run it. I pull a 4k trailer in town at speeds of 35-40 so I may not use it then. Just bought it to play with when I am unloaded....On a side note does it hurt the trans to run it 55 mph in od with com pn 1x1?
Old 09-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Banned

Yeah with the warranty I can understand why, but I just have to laugh at some people that buy the COMP and never tap the wire!! But I guess if you are on a limited budget like some some folks are, tranny's do get kinda pricey

Quick Reply: Edge Comp wire tap